News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A Scout’s Take: Do NFL Clubs Really Take the Best Player Available?

Started by MightyGiants, April 08, 2023, 10:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 08, 2023, 10:46:02 AMGreg Gabriel weighs in on how teams stack their draft boards and how they grade players.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/4/8/23675108/a-scouts-take-do-nfl-clubs-really-take-the-best-player-available-draft-chicago-bears-general-manager?utm_campaign=windycitygridiron&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Good article and it kind of mirrors what I replied in a similar threat that I think the Giants are big on picking players that fit the scheme. Maybe they all do, I don't know  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Rosehill Jimmy

Informative article but dollars to donuts there will be more than a few angry posts along the lines of "but (insert draftniks name) had him ranked # on his big board!"
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 08, 2023, 10:46:02 AMGreg Gabriel weighs in on how teams stack their draft boards and how they grade players.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/4/8/23675108/a-scouts-take-do-nfl-clubs-really-take-the-best-player-available-draft-chicago-bears-general-manager?utm_campaign=windycitygridiron&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
As I understood it to be. For example, earlier we were discussing Nolan Smith. I didn't see him as a first round pick because we have much better Edge's and he's not quite ready for prime time at his weight and strength and limitation of rush moves. He also doesn't translate into an ILB because he lacks the coverage skills. He might translate into a 4-3 Will but he's not a Sam covering TE's. So he would be an A 6.6 for me and a rotational player. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

On this Board, we have known for years that it's "best player at a position of need ". We also know that every team grades players differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaugestus

Over the years watching drafts I thought it was no coincidence that especially the high picks were filling a need with their picks. None better than QBs is a prime example. We all can understand that as the draft progresses the ratings become closer to each other due to the talent level. I really can imagine why the interview process is becoming more important due to the limitations of the number of picks.