News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CHARLIE JONES PURDUE WR

Started by MightyGiants, April 09, 2023, 08:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Day 3 prospect who is 24 years old

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Overview
Exceptionally productive in his season at Purdue after transferring from Iowa, Jones will have trouble shedding tight, press-man coverage due to his lack of suddenness and blow-by speed. He possesses above average ball skills and has a feel for positioning and focus that creates a solid win rate on his contested catches. He can play zone-beater all day long and has the route savvy to keep improving his short-area separation. Jones is unlikely to work the deepest portions of the field but might find work in a possession-based passing game as a Day 3 draft pick.

MORE

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/charlie-jones/32004a4f-4e16-0287-5859-a7165d1cc115

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I'm not a Charlie Jones guy. I don't like guys who played as 24 year olds and did nothing before that their whole careers. People forget the difference between 24 and say 20 or 21. It's huge. There is a lot more physical development there. If Charlie Jones is so good, why was he an utter non-factor in college in his three years prior to last year? Could it be because when he was playing against people more his own age, he didn't stand out? Also, in 2021, he was playing as a 23 year old, which is still old, and he still wasn't anything special at all.

Also, not to mention you'll be drafting someone who is going to be 25 (in October) as a rookie at a position that typically begins to peter out at 28/29.

I don't know. He seems like a sucker's bet to me.

Jolly Blue Giant

According to Schoen, when it comes to analyzing WRs, it's all about "ability to separate" rather than straight line speed, height, and physical characteristics. Charlie Jones seems like a backup WR to me and if he can't separate easily, he's probably not on Schoen's radar
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

I dont think he's in the Giants plans but all I can say is Charlie gave Michigan fits in their game.  I see Jones as a Wes Welker type, super smart who finds the holes to run to and get passes.  Not NFL athletic but really NFL smart.

nb587

The Big Blue Banter just had an entire podcast on Jones that was highly complimentary.  I don't know how to link it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on April 09, 2023, 02:12:53 PMThe Big Blue Banter just had an entire podcast on Jones that was highly complimentary.  I don't know how to link it.

The YouTube video I posted is the podcast you are talking about
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE