News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Zierlein's idea for the Giants makes sense to me

Started by Bob In PA, April 13, 2023, 06:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Still didn't study defensive players in this draft but Zierlein said something today that probably makes.

The assumption is: Giants don't/can't trade Pick 25 and all "real" first-round WR's and CB's are gone.

His solution is to draft Brian Branch, who (like Julian Love) plays both slot and safety and who (also like Love) really knows the game and is like having yet one more "coach on the field."

Not really a 1st-rounder but could be less a question-mark than taking one of a "left-over" CB or WR.

Discuss.

Bob

PS.  Hope this topic wasn't raised before tho I seem to remember it (but I searched and couldn't find it).
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 13, 2023, 06:05:11 PMStill didn't study defensive players in this draft but Zierlein said something today that probably makes.

The assumption is: Giants don't/can't trade Pick 25 and all "real" first-round WR's and CB's are gone.

His solution is to draft Brian Branch, who (like Julian Love) plays both slot and safety and who (also like Love) really knows the game and is like having yet one more "coach on the field."

Not really a 1st-rounder but could be less a question-mark than taking one of a "left-over" CB or WR.

Discuss.

Bob

PS.  Hope this topic wasn't raised before tho I seem to remember it (but I searched and couldn't find it).
Im not a fan of him personally but If the cbs and wrs are gone I'm completely fine with the best defensive player available.

Philosophers

How about just taking the best player? 

MightyGiants

I am not sure Julian Love you was pick 25 worthy
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 13, 2023, 06:05:11 PMStill didn't study defensive players in this draft but Zierlein said something today that probably makes.

Discuss.

Bob

I'd be really surprised if the Giants used their first pick on Branch and I doubt he'd be the best defensive player left on the board if every WR and CB worth a first round were off the board. I suspect the top 3 or 4 LBs in this draft will still be available (Simpson, Sanders, Campbell, etc.) and probably a stud defensive lineman will be available (Bresee, Kancy, Mazi Smith, etc.), and edge rushers like Nolan Smith or Will McDonald

But who the hell knows what the Giants will do. They hold their cards close to their chest and aren't leaking anything about what they might do. Whatever they do, I imagine they have their eyes on a few that they really, really like
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Anyone who disagrees with Zierlein should propose an alternative.  I already did (thrice). 

In one post, I opined if Bijan Robinson is there the Giants should take him. Few agreed.

In another post, I proposed Nolan Smith.  That was met with general disagreement (and/or yawns LOL).

Lastly, quite a while back, I said the owners love Notre Dame players... so maybe Michael Mayer. 

In any event, I would rather have any of the three men mentioned above rather than a "leftover" at WR or CB.

Bob

PS. This draft may be deep at several positions, but is relatively short on true first-round quality picks.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 13, 2023, 06:53:51 PMI am not sure Julian Love you was pick 25 worthy

Rich: I agree with that.  The difference is (IMO) Brian Branch is today as capable as Love eventually became. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 13, 2023, 06:54:05 PMI'd be really surprised if the Giants used their first pick on Branch and I doubt he'd be the best defensive player left on the board if every WR and CB worth a first round were off the board. I suspect the top 3 or 4 LBs in this draft will still be available (Simpson, Sanders, Campbell, etc.) and probably a stud defensive lineman will be available (Bresee, Kancy, Mazi Smith, etc.), and edge rushers like Nolan Smith or Will McDonald

But who the hell knows what the Giants will do. They hold their cards close to their chest and aren't leaking anything about what they might do. Whatever they do, I imagine they have their eyes on a few that they really, really like

Jolly: Nice post, but I think Zierlein's point was to mix "need" into the question.., just guessing.

I'm not sure that's what HE meant but it's one of the main reasons I like his proposal.

Certainly, there are other players "as worthy" of going Pick 25 as Branch, but IMO not at a position of need.

Bob

True Blue

Someone mentioned Michael Mayer, I'd be on board with that, the guy is a weapon. They can get real creative with that 3 headed TE monster, would lessen the WR need even more too.

I admit it is overkill though

Rosehill Jimmy

Certainly Branch's versatility is a plus and there is also the intel Dabs can garner from his days at Tuscaloosa. Personally, if faced with a scenario where their top DBs are gone ( not a fan of any of the top WRs after JS) I would opt for the best edge before a versatile safety/slot
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Painter

With the advent of Free Agency and the Salary Cap, terms like Best Player or Best Player Available (BPA) no longer have any real meaning in the context of the NFL Draft. When, on occasion, we hear it used today, it is either as a cop-out or at best, a throwaway gesture of earnestness...think Jerry Reese.

Fans today, know their teams needs beforehand although not necessarily in the same order of priority and opportunity as its GM. All any of us can hope for is that in factoring each selection's strength and weakness the result comes close to gestalt in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Unfortunately, too often that has not been the result where Our Heroes have been concerned. Here's to Schoen/Daboll and to what we hope will be another more than half full glass.

Cheers!

sooners56

I'd assume if all the WRs and CBs have been taken that would leave some very good olineman, TEs, RBs, and DTs.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Bob In PA

Quote from: sooners56 on April 14, 2023, 10:12:09 AMI'd assume if all the WRs and CBs have been taken that would leave some very good olineman, TEs, RBs, and DTs.

sooners: On an "average" year that would be the case for a team at Pick 25.

But the "expert" consensus appears to be (I agree) that there are only 18 at most true 1st-rounders this year.

I only see 15 or 16. The rest are what they call 1-2's (late 1st, early 2nd).  This is the Giants' quandary.

What we need is for a team to offer a trade up to Pick 25 because a player they really like, want or need (who has a TRUE 1st-round grade) has fallen to the Giants, and teams know the Giants probably won't take him. Experts seem to agree that that man this year is Bijan Robinson. I feel confident in speculating Eagles would take him, so someone would have to want to get ahead of Eagles and choose the Giants as the target to accomplish that goal. 

I'm not spending a lot of time praying on this LOL.  The Giants just aren't that lucky.

Bob