News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State- will he be available at 25?

Started by MightyGiants, April 14, 2023, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have seen a trend in mock drafts.  It used to be that Forbes was always available to the Giants at 25 in almost all the mock drafts I was seeing.   The issue in my mind was if his light weight was a red flag or should the Giants fill a glaring need with a talented player.

Now I am seeing more and more mocks where Forbes is off the board when the Giants get on the clock.

It's really looking more and more (at least to me) that a trade (up or down) may be the best option for Schoen.   The top remaining players at 25 will not really fill any of the Giant's most pressing needs (WR, CB, D-line).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2023, 08:47:46 AMI have seen a trend in mock drafts.  It used to be that Forbes was always available to the Giants at 25 in almost all the mock drafts I was seeing.   The issue in my mind was if his light weight was a red flag or should the Giants fill a glaring need with a talented player.

Now I am seeing more and more mocks where Forbes is off the board when the Giants get on the clock.

It's really looking more and more (at least to me) that a trade (up or down) may be the best option for Schoen.   The top remaining players at 25 will not really fill any of the Giant's most pressing needs (WR, CB, D-line).

That would mean 5 CBs in first 24? Personally I don't see that happening but who knows
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

President Rick

with his size I do not see forbes as worth a 1st round pick.  But if someone does take him, it may mean another CB slips.  One not always mentioned as a first rounder is Maryland's Deonte Banks and if he is there at 25 I'd grab him.  Otherwise, lacking a good CB prospect or another solid player who slips and fills a major need, I could see trying to trade back.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on April 14, 2023, 09:05:18 AMwith his size I do not see forbes as worth a 1st round pick.  But if someone does take him, it may mean another CB slips.  One not always mentioned as a first rounder is Maryland's Deonte Banks and if he is there at 25 I'd grab him.  Otherwise, lacking a good CB prospect or another solid player who slips and fills a major need, I could see trying to trade back.

Rick,

The thing with Forbes is he is light, rather than small. 

He is 6' 3/4" which is 70%
wingspan 79" which is 92%
arms 32 1/4" which is 78%

It's just his weight that is very much an outlier.  That length will serve Forbes well in the NFL, in my opinion.   Plus his ball skills simply can't be taught (he set an FBS record with six pick-sixes during his career).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2023, 08:47:46 AMI have seen a trend in mock drafts.  It used to be that Forbes was always available to the Giants at 25 in almost all the mock drafts I was seeing.  The issue in my mind was if his light weight was a red flag or should the Giants fill a glaring need with a talented player.

It's really looking more and more (at least to me) that a trade (up or down) may be the best option for Schoen.  The top remaining players at 25 will not really fill any of the Giant's most pressing needs (WR, CB, D-line).

I'm seeing the same trend. I used to think we could get him in the second round. Not happening

Skinny - yes
Tall and long - yes
Fast - yes (4.35/40)
Productive - Holy crap! He doesn't have 4 years of stats because he's an early entry. In his short career he has 14 interceptions with six of them returned for TDs (he runs like a top WR once he gets the ball)

Even though he's skinny, so are the wide receivers he would be pressing down the sidelines. He has "string muscle" which is very deceiving in strength. Tougher than nails, scrappy as hell, and determined to shut down the outside lane he's responsible for, with a proven record that he can do that. One of the most productive CBs to come out in years - and he did it in the SEC on a team not called Alabama or Georgia

Two years ago, we were obsessed with getting WR DeVonta Smith, but the Eagles jumped us for him. Forbes is like a clone of Smith, just on the other side of the ball. If he's still on the board at 25, I do not know how the Giants cannot take him. He's an absolute "baller". Paired with Jackson on the other side of the field, we have essentially shut down the outside lanes and deep pass

One of the things I like about him is his instincts. He knows where the ball is before it gets to the receiver, almost like it has a homing device in the ball. He keeps track of it as good or better than the receiver. Forbes studies the eyes of the receiver as he's mirroring him and if he can't get the ball himself, you can notice that he covers the receiver's eyes with his big hands so the receiver can't see the ball. You can see it in this video around the 2:30 mark

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

The definition of shutdown corner in the SEC. there's an increasing trend that if a player played multiple sports or track, and played Wr in high school before turning to corner in college and being lights out in the NFL.

He's only played 4 years as a corner in his whole life and those 4 years broke FBS records for Tds. Guy is an Int machine and knows it.

Look at all the corners coming out these days hardly any are 200 or 195, they are all like 175-185 and then add Weight.

This is my guy at 25 and I absolutely hate Mississippi state, but I think he's best for the Giants.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 14, 2023, 10:53:39 AMThe definition of shutdown corner in the SEC. there's an increasing trend that if a player played multiple sports or track, and played Wr in high school before turning to corner in college and being lights out in the NFL.

He's only played 4 years as a corner in his whole life and those 4 years broke FBS records for Tds. Guy is an Int machine and knows it.

Look at all the corners coming out these days hardly any are 200 or 195, they are all like 175-185 and then add Weight.

This is my guy at 25 and I absolutely hate Mississippi state, but I think he's best for the Giants.

I agree, if Forbes is still there, I would be very happy if he ends up being picked by the Giants.  In fact, I think he may be the only player among the likely players, that I would be excited to have the Giants draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2023, 10:57:35 AMI agree, if Forbes is still there, I would be very happy if he ends up being picked by the Giants.  In fact, I think he may be the only player among the likely players, that I would be excited to have the Giants draft.
I think especially in such an unknown draft with a lot of potholes, production and athletic ability are known quantities and knowing he has those makes me a lot more comfortable with him than a lot of players that are more projection based.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 14, 2023, 10:57:35 AMI agree, if Forbes is still there, I would be very happy if he ends up being picked by the Giants.  In fact, I think he may be the only player among the likely players, that I would be excited to have the Giants draft.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. JSN is the ONLY player in the first round that intrigues me as a unicorn-type WR. If he's still on the board (can't imagine that happening), then it's a no-brainer, take JSN as Dallas with the next pick would snatch him and taunt us for the next few years. If JSN is gone, Forbes is who I'd like for our pick. But who knows???? Maybe Schoen and crew prefer a stud LB or someone in the trenches
13 more days and we'll finally know  :ok:

Philosophers

Forbes is becoming one of 2-3 players I'd really like to see the Giants draft in round 1 or 2.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on April 14, 2023, 03:01:34 PMForbes is becoming one of 2-3 players I'd really like to see the Giants draft in round 1 or 2.

There's a very small chance he'll get out of round one, and if so, he'll be gone very quickly in round two. He won't be there for the taking when we're on the clock in round two. That's my opinion for whatever it's worth. I would like us to grab him in the first round if available

GloryDays

Forbes is so obviously good at a premium position, that I see only a small chance that he'll be there at 25. He fills our need beautifully... and don't worry about his thin legs, he obviously is not brittle, he has strong bones and joints which is more important than being muscular.

Bob In PA

If I had the first 24 picks, then yes, Forbes would be available at Pick 25.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Painter

If they don't reach or settle for a WR at 25, I have no doubt that Forbes will be near the top of their list at CB. More than that, I cannot say nor can anyone.

Cheers!