News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could Schoen skip drafting a center?

Started by MightyGiants, April 20, 2023, 01:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

As Dan lays out, it's not that the Giants couldn't use an upgrade at center, but rather the prospects available may not provide much in the way of an upgrade over existing talent.

https://twitter.com/DanSchneierNFL/status/1649095137656733697

https://twitter.com/Patricia_Traina/status/1649089727029739521
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Need to cut some of the dead weight. Get a 5th for Peart or Lemeuix and get them gone.

Philosophers

They may have 14 OL signed but feels like 5-6 should not even be in the league.

Giants need real backups.

Ao no, I dont think they have a viable center unless Bredeson is going to play there.

Painter

Risky if not foolish to depend on Bredeson who is a decent OLG but a hardly a proven OC, who was on IR half of last year, and so now is to be backed-up by a "who dat?"

One of these days, the Giants will have to decide to stop dicking around at such a key position, especially in front of its now $40 million QB and bring in a well-regarded and proper OC. This Draft would seem as good a time as any.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on April 20, 2023, 01:55:06 PMRisky if not foolish to depend on Bredeson who is a decent OLG but a hardly a proven OC, who was on IR half of last year, and so now is to be backed-up by a "who dat?"

One of these days, the Giants will have to decide to stop dicking around at such a key position, especially in front of its now $40 million QB and bring in a well-regarded and proper OC. This Draft would seem as good a time as any.

Cheers!

Which centers do you believe are "well-regarded and proper"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

do Schoen and Daboll see newly acquired OL  Hassenauer  as a hidden gem whom they can project to center [with maybe a day three center in the draft and the usual suspects from the current roster like Bredeson as back-ups??????????????
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Philosophers

I think he wants BPA for early rounds and will look to fill some needs later.  I can see them drafting Olu Oluwatimi later to fill center need say in 4th or 5th round.  He scored a 29 on the Wonderlic, highest of all centers.  Super high character and coachable.  Natural leader.  Won all 2022 IOL awards.  See him as a target.

jgrangers2

Will be shocking to me if they don't draft at least one IOL, at least as a depth piece. Seems to be a lot of them that will have 3rd to 5th round grades. That said, I take this as he won't automatically draft someone like Tippmann or Wypler in the 2nd or 3rd round if he feels there is better value.

madbadger

The notion that center is the easiest position to transfer along the line is absurd. The center is responsible for calling the protections based on the defensive formation. There is a reason why Center has the highest average Wonderlich score of any position group including quarterback. Not to mention the phyiscal component of having to block much more physical/explosive DT's than they saw in college. I think it's professional malpractice to not address the position unless he has plans to trade for an established vet.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on April 21, 2023, 12:33:39 PMThe notion that center is the easiest position to transfer along the line is absurd. The center is responsible for calling the protections based on the defensive formation. There is a reason why Center has the highest average Wonderlich score of any position group including quarterback. Not to mention the phyiscal component of having to block much more physical/explosive DT's than they saw in college. I think it's professional malpractice to not address the position unless he has plans to trade for an established vet.

So true.  Not sure why folks think otherwise.  Largest DL is closer than anyone else to OL so fast reaction to hold ground then move is pretty hard.

DaveBrown74

They needed to draft a center before this, but when they let Feliciano go I think that made it a given.

I suspect Schoen has a couple of centers that he significantly likes in the day two range, but then is also comfortable with let's say another two or three that he feels confident will be available early on day three.

It also won't shock me if he picks up a cheap-ish vet during August cut-downs, but I think the clear and obvious path here is that they start a rookie this year.

Ed Vette

I'm sure they can find a Center they can develop as a future projected starter in this draft or even in the UFA market. And they should.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

My wish is that they draft Ricky Stromberg and develop him into our starting center for the next decade. I like Joe Tippman, but I think he is better suited at guard because of his length. However, I trust Schoen in making good decisions, so if he thinks Tippman is perfect for center, then so do I

All the talk of "we have enough" and "we're overstocked at offensive linemen" is a smoke screen. Schoen isn't going to broadcast to the world that he's looking for a true center. In fact, it only makes sense that he hints that we're good with the guys we have  :no:

Take every rumor and veiled comment with a grain of salt. Believe nothing you hear for the next few days
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 22, 2023, 07:44:35 AMThey needed to draft a center before this, but when they let Feliciano go I think that made it a given.

I suspect Schoen has a couple of centers that he significantly likes in the day two range, but then is also comfortable with let's say another two or three that he feels confident will be available early on day three.

It also won't shock me if he picks up a cheap-ish vet during August cut-downs, but I think the clear and obvious path here is that they start a rookie this year.

DB: We're all just guessing but IMO yours is the most likely "best guess." Nice post. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!