News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Experience Playing In Cold Weather Factor Into Giants' Draft Decisions?

Started by Bob In PA, April 22, 2023, 09:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

As usual... final week before the draft... we've worn out almost every draft topic.  Almost... LOL

How much (if at all) does experience playing in cold weather factor into the draft for the Giants?

IMO the range of short answers probably extends from "completely irrelevant" thru "tie-breaker" (at most).

So I'll ask it this way... two players graded absolutely equally... one from Big Ten, one from SEC.

Big Ten guy born/raised in Buffalo, SEC guy born/raised in Miami. Is weather a factor to break the tie? 

Bob

PS. Just occurred to me... would like to dedicate this thread to our own JimV, who was for much of his long life a meteorologist.

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I could see it being a tie-breaker if they really couldn't find any other tie-breaker. I tend to think they would lean towards other intangibles (interview, upbringing, etc) before they went to who played in colder weather, but I don't think it is of zero importance.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2023, 09:32:54 AMI would ask Eli Manning that question  :D
Rich: Interesting... maybe I should also ask... for which positions is cold-weather experience most important? Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 22, 2023, 09:48:49 AMRich: Interesting... maybe I should also ask... for which positions is cold-weather experience most important? Bob

I mentioned him because Eli pretty much dispelled me of the cold-weather warrior notion.  Eli was born, raised, and played football in the South.  Yet he looked far more comfortable on the field in the Green Bay ICE BOWL than Brett Farve.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 22, 2023, 09:51:26 AMI mentioned him because Eli pretty much dispelled me of the cold-weather warrior notion.  Eli was born, raised, and played football in the South.  Yet he looked far more comfortable on the field in the Green Bay ICE BOWL than Brett Farve.
Rich: I see where you were going (great point) but Favre also was a lifelong southerner.  Bob

Ed Vette

Good question Bob. I think a QB has to have a strong arm to have played in Giants Stadium and even in the Meadowlands, winds and weather are still very much a factor. I think in hot humid weather, Heavy Offensive Linemen and DT's can wear down in a game. Turf is the other factor and having a speedster on grass may not be able to take to his full advantage. Same with Receivers and Punters, Kickers and Returners when it comes to wind. Having an eye for direction changes becomes important as does hands.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 22, 2023, 09:36:35 AMI could see it being a tie-breaker if they really couldn't find any other tie-breaker. I tend to think they would lean towards other intangibles (interview, upbringing, etc) before they went to who played in colder weather, but I don't think it is of zero importance.

I would think not, and I should certainly hope not given the much greater and more significant list of determinants otherwise present. As you suggest, I suppose it could be employed as a tie-breaker although I have no idea as to whether that has ever happened nor are we likely have known.

Cheers!