News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The number one rule of first-round picks?

Started by Bob In PA, April 24, 2023, 09:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

How would you state your personal "Number One Rule Of First Round Picks"?

Mine would be as follows:  "Above all, get a guy who's as close to a 'sure thing' (in your view) as possible under the circumstances."

The rule does not apply when you must take a QB.  In that case, the rule is similar:  "Get a QB who's as close to a sure thing as possible."

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I think you want to draft a player in round one that you feel really good about in terms of the prospect succeeding.  I think you want to avoid reaches and "hopes."  By "hopes," I mean prospects that you "hope" will be good rather than you believe will be good.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

IMO, the league is not paying too much emphasis on the Combine as in years past. Their performance on the field is primary in projecting their future importance. Taking to account how they are used and the talent around them, assuring they are not a product of the systems they have played in.

Bob In PA

Quote from: beaugestus on April 24, 2023, 11:00:52 AMIMO, the league is not paying too much emphasis on the Combine as in years past. Their performance on the field is primary in projecting their future importance. Taking to account how they are used and the talent around them, assuring they are not a product of the systems they have played in.
John: Good point. 

I think actual production is really important, over combine results, in most cases.

As you noted, however, if you believe a player was not used correctly in college, or poorly coached, or his body type and skills are changing as he matures, then IMO you might want to put more weight on combine performance.

Bob

Painter

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 24, 2023, 09:51:21 AMHow would you state your personal "Number One Rule Of First Round Picks"?

Mine would be as follows:  "Above all, get a guy who's as close to a 'sure thing' (in your view) as possible under the circumstances."

The rule does not apply when you must take a QB.  In that case, the rule is similar:  "Get a QB who's as close to a sure thing as possible."

Bob

"Above all, get a guy who's as close to a 'sure thing' (in your view) as possible under the circumstances." seems to be just another way of saying, or more particularly telling Schoen & Co." Do not take someone of whom I disapprove" so as to require a lot of time and energy trying to prove such misadventure or, even worse, lying in the weeds hoping for it to become clear and present at some point.

That is not to suggest that anyone here would be so petulant. But rather that such "rule" is a universally obvious one no matter how stated, phrased, and rephrased to suit our conceits in the matter, wouldn't you agree upon further thought?

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on April 24, 2023, 12:02:07 PM"Above all, get a guy who's as close to a 'sure thing' (in your view) as possible under the circumstances." seems to be just another way of saying, or more particularly telling Schoen & Co." Do not take someone of whom I disapprove" so as to require a lot of time and energy trying to prove such misadventure or, even worse, lying in the weeds hoping for it to become clear and present at some point.

That is not to suggest that anyone here would be so petulant. But rather that such "rule" is a universally obvious one no matter how stated, phrased, and rephrased to suit our conceits in the matter, wouldn't you agree upon further thought?

Larry: The phrase "(in your view)" was meant to mean "in the view of the person to whom I'm speaking." Otherwise I'd have said "(in my view)."  Bob

PS.  I agree with you to the extent that, if I were Schoen, I would give myself the same advice. LOL

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 24, 2023, 09:51:21 AMHow would you state your personal "Number One Rule Of First Round Picks"?

Bob

I would agree with that. I guess a "sure thing" would cover health, college production against top competition, high character, and that impossible to measure "it" factor

And I also agree about QBs - that's a crap shoot at best. Lucky is the team that has a franchise QB...hapless is the team in search of one
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ViewFromSection129

Don't reach for a position.  Take the best player you can.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ViewFromSection129 on April 24, 2023, 12:23:00 PMDon't reach for a position.  Take the best player you can.

Pretty much this for me.

When you very much need a QB though and you're picking in the top 2 or 3 or in striking distance of it, that can change the calculus a bit sometimes.