News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- May I something with regards to the 2023 NFL draft -

Started by sxdxca38, April 25, 2023, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

I'm applying this to myself first, but I believe it is a good reminder for all of us.

Every year there are really good players that teams like the Giants will pass on, and sometimes we wonder why?

One of those reasons is how a player interviews, and what his personality is like.

These are things that you and I can't see, but other teams can.

For instance, I can remember Pat Shurmur said once, do I want to coach this guy?

Other times Jerry Reese would say after they interviewed a player, no he's not the right fit.

So, if a certain player who may have tremendous ball skills and is extremely talented, but the Giants decide to pass on him, it may be because they see a problem or flaw with his personality.

They may reason that he is not a good fit in the locker room, and so they decide not to take him.

I believe a good example of that is Micah Parsons from a few years ago.

Tremendously talented player, but not the right personality fit for the coaching staff or GM at the time.

So, if we see the Giants pass on some good talent, this may be the reason why, just wanted to share.

Jolly Blue Giant

Great points. One that I would add is that they are looking for perfect fits for their scheme. They see a player as either a round peg in a round hole, or a square peg in a round hole. And when they find the round peg guy to go in the round hole, they also measure the diameter of the peg as well as the hole. We tend to see players by their past performance (in an entirely different environment and scheme), personal stats, athleticism, and what not. Schoen and crew are looking for perfect fits, and we don't know what those characteristics are that they are hell-bent on getting. What we want and what they want are probably far apart
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 25, 2023, 07:59:26 PMGreat points. One that I would add is that they are looking for perfect fits for their scheme. They see a player as either a round peg in a round hole, or a square peg in a round hole. And when they find the round peg guy to go in the round hole, they also measure the diameter of the peg as well as the hole. We tend to see players by their past performance (in an entirely different environment and scheme), personal stats, athleticism, and what not. Schoen and crew are looking for perfect fits, and we don't know what those characteristics are that they are hell-bent on getting. What we want and what they want are probably far apart

Thank you so much, and I agree with your expressions as well, especially when you say what they want is far apart from what we want.