News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Jets sign Randall Cobb

Started by MightyGiants, May 03, 2023, 09:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

Cobb will be 33 when the season starts. Hard to imagine he'll be much of a factor. It's not like he was Tyreek Hill in his prime.

AYM

We'll see how Aaron Rodgers does as a GM.

I do find it interesting that he complained about his supporting cast in Green Bay and now he's trying to get the same players again.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on May 03, 2023, 12:45:02 PMWe'll see how Aaron Rodgers does as a GM.

I do find it interesting that he complained about his supporting cast in Green Bay and now he's trying to get the same players again.

Yes. Also the reason they let Davante Adams go was to accommodate Rodgers' sky-high salary demands. He wasn't willing to go the Brady route of getting paid below his market value in order to get a ring. Brady was content to make half of what Rodgers is making. Winning was more important to him, clearly.

uconnjack8

Not sure why Rodgers wanted this guy other than maybe he thinks he can help the other WRs learn the system.  Hasn't been very productive with Rodgers over the last two years.

zephirus

It's really disturbing just how readily the Green Bay Packers AND the Jets gave in to Aaron Rodgers' demand to sign an aging wideout who's last 1k yard season (and ONLY 1k yard season) was in 2014. 

babywhales

Quote from: AYM on May 03, 2023, 12:45:02 PMWe'll see how Aaron Rodgers does as a GM.

He did horrible in GB as the GM

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Slugsy-Narrows

The Jets aren't going to win the division and overtake the Bills.

Their only path to the playoffs is the wild card.

Odds are they get beat in the first round against a much better AFC division leader.

All they are doing is only going to make them marginally better in a very strong AFC.

Sounds about right for the J-E-T-S

uconnjack8

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on May 04, 2023, 08:57:26 AMThe Jets aren't going to win the division and overtake the Bills.

Their only path to the playoffs is the wild card.

Odds are they get beat in the first round against a much better AFC division leader.

All they are doing is only going to make them marginally better in a very strong AFC.

Sounds about right for the J-E-T-S

Paul,

I think the Jets may win the division this year if the defense plays at the same level.  I think their offense has some talent and Rodgers will make it at a minimum competent.  KC will be tough to dethrone, but I think the Jets will be competitive with the rest of the AFC. 

DaveBrown74

On paper the Jets look very good to me. They definitely won't stink, but I need to see them show me on the field before I start believing things like they're going to finish ahead of Buffalo in the East. Rodgers wasn't very good last year. We can blame it on the supporting cast to some degree, but the reality is that he is at an age where just about every QB collapses. Who is to say that won't happen to him this year. Peyton collapsed right around this age. So did Favre. So did Brees. Brady is not the norm... he is the outlier. The Jets need Rodgers to be like the Rodgers of 2020 and 2021 to win that division. Is that likely to happen? It could, but history would suggest otherwise.

bamagiantfan

Cobb knows exactly what Rodgers wants and should be able to convey that to the other WRs. If it increases Rodgers' comfort level too then all the better. I wouldn't measure Cobb's impact solely by his own statistics.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Fletch

I don't get why everyone hates this guy so much. I think the fact that he's on the jets now of all and since like joe Namath the jets have always been second fiddle to the Giants. But to make this guy out to be like a lebrom James is exaggerating. Didn't Joe judge get k toney and goliday to see what jones could do? It didn't work out but they still spent a lot more than a one year deal for a 33 year old player