News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Punter?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, May 09, 2023, 08:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

With so many roster improvements, and seeing the inconsistency from our punter last year, is there a need to upgrade?

Is anyone out there who could take the job and improve the position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

A long shot, but I saw reports this morning suggesting that the so-called "punting god" is innocent of the rape charges leveled against him

I am hoping that punter is less important this year because this team's offense will have little use for him
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 09, 2023, 08:31:03 AMA long shot, but I saw reports this morning suggesting that the so-called "punting god" is innocent of the rape charges leveled against him

I am hoping that punter is less important this year because this team's offense will have little use for him

I read the states attorney has concluded through interviews with witnesses that he left the party at least an hour before the rape occurred and could not have been a participant. I feel bad for the guy. I'd love to see the Giants offer him a tryout. In fact I posted last year during the draft that the Giants should have used their fifth round pick on him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 09, 2023, 08:20:01 AMWith so many roster improvements, and seeing the inconsistency from our punter last year, is there a need to upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have difficulty comparing Punters based on Stats. There are so many factors involved. Indoor vs outdoor conditions. Elevation. Open Yards available. The talent and speed of the special team's coverage. Ball placement on the LOS...

They all affect yards average, net average and touchbacks.

Each kick has to be evaluated and graded which teams do but there are no stats out there like that.

I think Feagles was one of the best Punters the Giants ever had because so many of his kicks hit the coffin corner and were not returnable. He was a weapon in and of himself.

Not much to evaluate between Riley Dixon and the Scottish Hammer.

Any insight Andrew? Is there a shank stat out there?

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

I'll answer the question with a question: "How's the New Jersey Generals' punter doing these days?"

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on May 09, 2023, 10:15:13 AMI read the states attorney has concluded through interviews with witnesses that he left the party at least an hour before the rape occurred and could not have been a participant. I feel bad for the guy. I'd love to see the Giants offer him a tryout. In fact I posted last year during the draft that the Giants should have used their fifth round pick on him.
I was all for drafting the kid last year, wonder if Buffalo still have rights to him?

kartanoman

Quote from: Jclayton92 on May 09, 2023, 01:10:56 PMI was all for drafting the kid last year, wonder if Buffalo still have rights to him?

He is playing in Mexico right now. The Bills cut him outright and has no ties to the NFL at the moment.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

Maybe bring Mcafee out of retirement and tell him he doesn't have to practice and can just show up on Sunday.

Thegratefulhead

No interest in that player at all.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

madbadger

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on May 09, 2023, 08:20:01 AMWith so many roster improvements, and seeing the inconsistency from our punter last year, is there a need to upgrade?

Andrew: IMO our coaches believe The Hammer still has "upside" to his game and they can bring that out of him. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 09, 2023, 08:31:03 AMA long shot, but I saw reports this morning suggesting that the so-called "punting god" is innocent of the rape charges leveled against him

Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller mentioned him yesterday.  They said that they normally don't watch punters too much in their training camp visits but they were awed by the distance hang time he was able to get. 

kartanoman

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 10, 2023, 11:32:12 AMAndrew: IMO our coaches believe The Hammer still has "upside" to his game and they can bring that out of him. Bob

Bob, I hope the "upside" is in his ability to handle the ball, first and foremost, so extra points and FGs aren't left on the field, and then punts don't become Keystone Kops Kapers moments. He created way too many of those by his own doing, last season, and we immediately had flashbacks to Jim Fassel's 2001-02 punting/kicking saga.

If that starts occurring this coming season, it's going to get ugly quickly. I just don't see things panning out well as the risks I observed in the Hammer, coming in, were realized as quickly as the weather turned cold.  That can't happen and the Giants need a guy back there who can handle the weather. I thought Korsak would have been a good option as he demonstrated his skill at performing in inclimate weather quite effectively at Rutgers as well as his footy career back in Melbourne. But what do I know?

Well, we're stuck with the Hammer for better or worse now. Let's hope he's gotten better since last year.

Peace!