News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley rejected 2nd Contract Offer Worth up to $14M

Started by brownelvis54, May 13, 2023, 01:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

The NY Giants offered Saquon Barkley a deal worth up to $14 million a year
"It's such an odd situation because of what has already transpired. The Giants, according to sources, offered Barkley a multi-year deal worth $12.5 million a season at the bye week, then increased that number to $13 million with a chance to get to $14 million in incentives shortly after the season.

Barkley rejected both deals. He and his agent Kim Miale obviously overestimated the running-back market. They could argue that Barkley doesn't know his true value because he was blocked from testing the free-agent market after the Giants used the franchise tag on him."

Jclayton92

Should have traded him last season. I guess Barkley forgot the memo that the league doesn't pay RBs 2nd contracts typically because they don't make it until the end of them.

Bob In PA

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 13, 2023, 01:30:51 PMIf true he is an idiot, or his agent is
BrownE: Not necessarily... it is Schoen's job to try to get the best deal for the Giants.  That doesn't necessarily include making his "best" offer first (or second). His best offer most likely will come a lot nearer the deadline, unless, in the meantime, good reason arises for a change of tactics.  One good reason would be if the Giants want to trade for a player or sign a free agent, requiring them to settle the matter with Barkley first, so they know how much money they have to sign the new player.

Bob

PS. Should have also said that it's Barkley's agent's job to know what I've written above and be sure he's seeing the Giants' "best deal" before recommending to his client that he accept any offer.  This assumes that either the agent told Barkley to reject the new offer and followed his advice, or Barkley himself decided to reject the new offer (regardless of what the agent advised).
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 13, 2023, 01:31:46 PMThe NY Giants offered Saquon Barkley a deal worth up to $14 million a year
"It's such an odd situation because of what has already transpired. The Giants, according to sources, offered Barkley a multi-year deal worth $12.5 million a season at the bye week, then increased that number to $13 million with a chance to get to $14 million in incentives shortly after the season.

Barkley rejected both deals. He and his agent Kim Miale obviously overestimated the running-back market. They could argue that Barkley doesn't know his true value because he was blocked from testing the free-agent market after the Giants used the franchise tag on him."

How do you know it is the amount and not the structure of the deal that he is rejecting?  Too little info at this point to have an opinion.

babywhales

Granted structure is unknown but it was the third offer . Details of structure are easily fixed 

Nothing about this looks good for Barkley and worse for his management 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

brownelvis54

Barkley's mope agent thinks he's going to get Christian McCaffrey money.  The running back market has news for him.  Not even Christian McCaffrey would get Christian McCaffrey money in this market.

Jclayton92

Athletes get paid, and we read about it.

The story continues lol.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

This saddens me because I really do like Saquon, and it would hurt to lose him, but 14 million is more than fair.

I believe JS has always said it has to work for both sides, and the value has to be there.

I've been reading he wants 16 million, so I don't think JS is going to give that to him.

I think he holds his ground at 14 million and see what happens.

I believe JS and BD are okay with letting Barkley walk if his demands are too high, and so far, they are.

It pains me to say this, but Barkley will probably have to sign a long-term deal with someone else.

Too bad because he is a special RB, and I would have loved for him to come back.

But we see how this plays out.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 13, 2023, 04:03:37 PMhttps://twitter.com/lt4kicks/status/1657464157669675009

I hope, for the Giants' sake, that they find a trading partner, preferably in the AFC.  although he won't bring much on the tag.  I'm with @Jclayton92 that they should have traded him at the 2022 trade deadline, when they'd have gotten a better return.  After the trading deadline he had one very good game, 2 pretty good games, and the rest were mediocre to poor.  And this isn't 2020 hindsight, as @Jclayton92 an I were both clamoring for him to be traded back then.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

bldevil

Love everything about Saquon the player and the person.

Pay him the franchise tag for 2 years.  And then move on.  Less money, way less injury risk.

The Giants have been debilitated over the past 5 or so years by: 1) paying Eli too much and too long, mostly too long; 2) overpaying Beckham; 3) overpaying Kenny Holiday [sp].  The dead cap, especially on Beckham, led to not having enough cash to paper over the poor draft performances.  And that's how you implode.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 13, 2023, 01:45:44 PMBrownE: Not necessarily... it is Schoen's job to try to get the best deal for the Giants.  That doesn't necessarily include making his "best" offer first (or second). His best offer most likely will come a lot nearer the deadline, unless, in the meantime, good reason arises for a change of tactics.  One good reason would be if the Giants want to trade for a player or sign a free agent, requiring them to settle the matter with Barkley first, so they know how much money they have to sign the new player.

Bob

PS. Should have also said that it's Barkley's agent's job to know what I've written above and be sure he's seeing the Giants' "best deal" before recommending to his client that he accept any offer.  This assumes that either the agent told Barkley to reject the new offer and followed his advice, or Barkley himself decided to reject the new offer (regardless of what the agent advised).

You make some excellent, Bob; however, the Giants have all the cards.  Essentially, they can franchise Barkley this and next year for virtually the same money offered, while simultaneously protecting themself against RB wear down and/or injury (ie avoid a long-term deal).  I almost prefer he play under the franchise tag. 

brownelvis54

It would not surprise me if they trade Barkley for draft picks next year. We roll with gray, Brita, and brightwell

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 13, 2023, 07:22:15 PMI hope, for the Giants' sake, that they find a trading partner, preferably in the AFC.  although he won't bring much on the tag.  I'm with @Jclayton92 that they should have traded him at the 2022 trade deadline, when they'd have gotten a better return.  After the trading deadline he had one very good game, 2 pretty good games, and the rest were mediocre to poor.  And this isn't 2020 hindsight, as @Jclayton92 an I were both clamoring for him to be traded back then.
Exactly we might have been the only Giants fans at that time when he was white hot, but we could have really jump started this re-build and if it was anything like the McCaffery trade. At that moment in time, Barkley was the hottest back in football and right after he just fell off a cliff.

I personally think it's the biggest fumble of the Schoen era to date.