News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants wanted Hyatt in R2 if JMS was not there.

Started by True Blue, May 19, 2023, 11:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/19/2023-nfl-draft-jalin-hyatt-new-york-giants-backup-target-no-57/

"Although the Giants were dead-set on selecting Schmitz, they did have a backup plan at No. 57: Tennessee wide receiver Jalin Hyatt.

"We'll go Schmitz or Hyatt," Schoen said before the Bears traded up.

"So we're taking Hyatt," head coach Brian Daboll said immediately after the Bears trade.

Daboll continued to reassure Schoen, who had begun pacing and was visibly nervous.

"We're getting one of the two, so [expletive] it," Daboll said. "Either way they'll help us. One is fast as [expletive] and the other could start at center."

"I love the optimism," Schoen said. "[Expletive], yeah!"

Little did the Giants know at that moment that they'd end up taking Schmitz and still have a shot at Hyatt just a short while later.

Everyone in Giants Nation knows that story by now. As Hyatt slipped, Daboll reached out to Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay and the two worked out a trade.

The Giants moved up and landed their backup option at No. 57, leading to much elation in the draft room.

"Daboll's first trade. Trader Dabes," Schoen said with a smile."

Philosophers

I love the Giants Life videos and what I oove even more is the transparency of Joe and Brian.  They are not misdirecting anyone.

True Blue

Quote from: Philosophers on May 19, 2023, 11:45:38 AMI love the Giants Life videos and what I oove even more is the transparency of Joe and Brian.  They are not misdirecting anyone.

Agreed.

While I myself, was not the biggest fan of Hyatt. I am encouraged by how much they wanted to get him. They should have a clear plan and role for him so hopefully we see him blowing past defenders as the season progresses.

Ed Vette

When some of you guys were enamored with Hooker, I was focused on Hyatt. I think he has some superstar potential but the naysayers and red flaggers pulled me back from my enthusiasm.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 19, 2023, 12:04:32 PMWhen some of you guys were enamored with Hooker, I was focused on Hyatt. I think he has some superstar potential but the naysayers and red flaggers pulled me back from my enthusiasm.

I had the same feeling as you, Ed. Early on, all I could think about was wide receivers for our first round pick. After a few weeks, there was a lot of negative stuff written about all of them except Jaxon Smith-Njigba who had missed the bulk of last season with injuries, plus, he was never going to fall to us. Hyatt seemed like he had the tools, and I was looking for WRs who weren't smurfs (we got enough of them), so Hyatt made perfect sense. But...like you said, the negative stories and comments surrounding the WRs in this draft killed my enthusiasm for wanting a receiver in the first round. Seemed too risky to me

When I watched that latest Giants Life video, it brought back the thrill of this year's draft and I couldn't stop smiling as I watched it. In hindsight, I can't believe who we got in the first two days. All three of them could have been (should have been?) first round draft picks...and the fact that the three picks filled our three most desperate needs is simply incredible, or ridiculous, or whatever. What a great draft
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Gman329

Incredible draft.  Can't wait to see them in camp.......speaking of which, can we PLEASE keep them all healthy through training camp?!?  Seems like every year, our top picks are delayed getting on the field.