News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do the Giants have "star power"?

Started by DaveBrown74, June 03, 2023, 11:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Someone I know who is not a BBH member but is a Giants fan recently commented to me that the Giants are getting better but still "lack star power."

I thought this was an interesting comment, and it got me thinking. First off, is that claim (that we don't have star power) true, and whether it's true or not, does having star power matter?

Who on the Giants would you consider bona fide, established NFL stars?

Philosophers

What is star power?  Is it a top 3-4 player at his position?  Is it a very vocal player who's always in the news?

If it's a top 3-4 player, then Saquon is a star.  Dexter Lawrence is maybe a star.  Graham Gano is maybe a star as well.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on June 03, 2023, 11:30:10 AMWhat is star power?  Is it a top 3-4 player at his position?  Is it a very vocal player who's always in the news?

If it's a top 3-4 player, then Saquon is a star.  Dexter Lawrence is maybe a star.  Graham Gano is maybe a star as well.

Add Andrew Thomas to the list.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on June 03, 2023, 11:30:10 AMWhat is star power?  Is it a top 3-4 player at his position?  Is it a very vocal player who's always in the news?

Phil

Yes, I think anyone who is top 5 at their position in the league is a star. Maybe for a position like kicker it's top two or three and QB is maybe top 7 or 8, but roughly speaking top 5 is a good guide.

By NFL-wide standards, I would consider the Giants' current proven stars to be Barkley, Thomas, and Lawrence. Clearly that list could increase with more names by the end of this coming season.

In my opinion, you don't necessarily need an abundance of stars to be a contending team. However, you seem to need at least 2-3 big stars to win a Super Bowl, if recent history is any guide.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 03, 2023, 01:25:13 PMPhil

Yes, I think anyone who is top 5 at their position in the league is a star. Maybe for a position like kicker it's top two or three and QB is maybe top 7 or 8, but roughly speaking top 5 is a good guide.

By NFL-wide standards, I would consider the Giants' current proven stars to be Barkley, Thomas, and Lawrence. Clearly that list could increase with more names by the end of this coming season.

In my opinion, you don't necessarily need an abundance of stars to be a contending team. However, you seem to need at least 2-3 big stars to win a Super Bowl, if recent history is any guide.

I agree.  Most teams that win a SB have 5-7 top line players plus a decent QB and other players typically that are better than the average on other teams.  Giants are building with AT, DL, SB and maybe Xavier McKinney.  Need some others plus DJ.

PSUBeirut

Man, think about this- prior to last season, the answer to this question would have been a resounding no.  Barkley still hadn't proven he was back from injury, Lawrence was good but not great yet, and Thomas still had a lot to prove.  And we had just lost arguably our best player, Bradberry.  The closest thing we had to a star would have been Leonard Williams.

Now we've got some legit top tier talent.  I'd add Kayvon as the next most likely to be in that category.  What a difference a year makes.

Jclayton92

Thomas, Dex, Barkley tier 1 actual stars everyone knows as elite

Waller, Jackson, Mckinney tier 2 stars that the football community know are extremely good to elite.

Think there's a difference in star power one Is the overall nfl watcher and 2nd is among diehards and beat writers etc

uconnjack8

I think "star power" is guys that produce in the stat sheet and make the type of plays that get on highlight shows....So WRs, CBs and guys who sack the QB.

There is a lot of important stuff that happens in a football game that isn't one of those things.

Painter

It makes little difference whether our team has players who we might choose to label as "stars" unless and until he or they deliver the goods like say a Lombardi. That may seem extreme depending on your level of satisfaction, and patience, and the always presence of season to season uncertainty, yet it would be hard to make more of it than that, or to otherwise describe/define Eli Manning's likely future HOF status given that he was not widely regarded as a Regular Season Star.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 03, 2023, 11:22:10 AMSomeone I know who is not a BBH member but is a Giants fan recently commented to me that the Giants are getting better but still "lack star power."

I thought this was an interesting comment, and it got me thinking. First off, is that claim (that we don't have star power) true, and whether it's true or not, does having star power matter?

Who on the Giants would you consider bona fide, established NFL stars?

Jeff,

I wonder, could your friend have meant (blue chip players) when he used the term "star power"?  Many people equate star with really good players
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 07:35:36 AMJeff,

I wonder, could your friend have meant (blue chip players) when he used the term "star power"?  Many people equate star with really good players

Yes, I am fairly certain that's what he meant. I'm not sure if he's familiar with the actual term "blue chip players" as Mike Lombardi uses it, but I think he meant "star" in the sense of guys who are at least pro bowlers if not all pros.

I've also heard people describe the Giants (not this friend but maybe on the radio or a podcaast) as a team that is on the rise but "doesn't really scare you." I think this somewhat refers to the fact that we lack bona fide stars (ie blue chippers) in the premium positions at the moment.

kartanoman

Shouldn't this topic be merged with @MightyGiants Blue Chip / Red Chip player thread? The subject is good but I personally like the way Rich has organized it to allow us to discuss the players against the two tiers.

Respectfully, for your consideration ...

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on June 04, 2023, 08:58:10 AMShouldn't this topic be merged with @MightyGiants Blue Chip / Red Chip player thread? The subject is good but I personally like the way Rich has organized it to allow us to discuss the players against the two tiers.

Respectfully, for your consideration ...

Peace!

Perfectly fine with me.

MightyGiants

@kartanoman and @DaveBrown74

There are two issues with a merger.  The first is that mergers order posts by time.  So the post you like with definitions wouldn't be the first post.  Second, many posts interpreted star power to mean players with high profiles.  So readers would have to get past those before discussing how many red and blue chip players this team has.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 09:06:07 AM@kartanoman and @DaveBrown74

There are two issues with a merger.  The first is that mergers order posts by time.  So the post you like with definitions wouldn't be the first post.  Second, many posts interpreted star power to mean players with high profiles.  So readers would have to get past those before discussing how many red and blue chip players this team has.

Fair enough.

At this point I think the star power thread will get less traffic anyway. I was just curious to hear reactions to that statement. It was never a very granular thread.