News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The 2022 reasons the Giants would be a dumpster fire

Started by MightyGiants, June 06, 2023, 12:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Sometimes it's worth looking back at what was being said:

1) The Giants are a laughingstock and their owner doesn't know what he's doing

2) Was Brian Daboll the best coaching candidate for this job?

3) They don't have good players

4) The Giants don't think much of Daniel Jones anymore

5) The wide receivers are underachievers

6) How about at tight end? Anyone there to take some of the pressure off of the receivers?

7) The cornerbacks have very little experience

8) The offensive line still probably won't be good

9) I guess we should mention Saquon Barkley

10) There are so many other really bad teams

You can get detailed explanations for each here:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-giants-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2022/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2023, 12:55:52 PMSometimes it's worth looking back at what was being said:

6) How about at tight end? Anyone there to take some of the pressure off of the receivers?

You can get detailed explanations for each here:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-giants-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2022/

You know despite the obvious roasting, he made some very good and telling points

the best was "we needed more room to punt".  Did we give Judge an IQ test before Mara fell in love with him on the interview?  It should be a mandatory test
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

With the benefit of hindsight:

I think this was a fair statement in past years, but all of that clearly changed after the disastrous 2021 season. Mara went out and actually did his own due diligence and actually interviewed multiple serious candidates for GM. He hired the one he felt was best, and early signs point to him being right about that. Then he allowed the GM to hand-pick the coach, another smart move. So I don't see how this statement can be applied to anything prior to 2021 at this point.

He just won coach of the year, so it would appear so.

Partially true, but it would appear that is in the process of changing.

Mara loves Jones, and a new GM (who could have gotten a job with another team unlike the previous one) just gave him a good-sized contract. So this appears to be false at this point.

I would agree with this statement as it pertains to 2022. We have added a lot this year though.

Bellinger might have been our best pick relative to draft position that we made. Plus we just brought in one of the game's best TEs.

Fair enough overall, although our CB1 has plenty of experience and is a proven good player.

We have an all pro tackle handling Jones' blind side, the best center prospect from this last draft, and an elite 2022 draft prospect at right tackle who was bad last year but has a chance to improve significantly this year. The line is obviously a work in progress but the worst appears to be behind us. We're no longer depending on people like Halapio, Solder, Peart, etc.

Yeah, and? He was one of the better RBs in the league last year. What is there to mention?

I don't even understand why this is relevant.

MightyGiants

@DaveBrown74

to the last two

9) Remember, Barkley did not have a good 2021 season. There were questions if he could ever stay healthy and if he did if he was still a good running back.

10) their point was that having a bad season wouldn't guarantee a good draft pick to get a QB.  They pointed out there were many bad teams and so it was going to be tough to get the top pick (just ask the Texans)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2023, 03:19:42 PM@DaveBrown74

to the last two

9) Remember, Barkley did not have a good 2021 season. There were questions if he could ever stay healthy and if he did if he was still a good running back.

10) their point was that having a bad season wouldn't guarantee a good draft pick to get a QB.  They pointed out there were many bad teams and so it was going to be tough to get the top pick (just ask the Texans)

Oh yeah I get why they asked it at the time. I was just readdressing the questions with the obvious benefit of hindsight.

Understood on 10.

Painter

For nearly a decade, no one bothered to tell us how lousy the Giants were expected to be. Now there seems to be a heavy investment in it. Something must have happened recently. Could it be that the media is POed that they got it wrong, last year? Does sorta make you wonder.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on June 06, 2023, 06:54:47 PMFor nearly a decade, no one bothered to tell us how lousy the Giants were expected to be. Now there seems to be a heavy investment in it. Something must have happened recently. Could it be that the media is POed that they got it wrong, last year? Does sorta make you wonder.

Cheers!

these were last year's predictions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 06, 2023, 06:57:02 PMthese were last year's predictions

Yeah! And you don't think there is a bit of a hangover from having gotten it quite so wrong. That is except for the part about Mara.  Redfaced

Cheers!

kartanoman

Quote from: Painter on June 06, 2023, 07:19:00 PMYeah! And you don't think there is a bit of a hangover from having gotten it quite so wrong. That is except for the part about Mara.  Redfaced

Cheers!

Insert Christopher Allen's punchline here ...

"And the beat goes on!"

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)