News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the sky the limit for this offense???

Started by Bob In PA, June 21, 2023, 09:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

The Giants' offense ranked 15th in points and 18th in yards per game last season. Not bad for a new system.

This is the 2nd yr, same coaching staff, but with a significant number of new skill players who fit the system.

Tyrod Taylor said the sky's the limit for the offense this year. I think that is unlikely.

Considering the schedule & the fact that defenses now have lots of film to study, what's the actual limit?

My view... it's reasonable to believe they'll break into the top 10 in both categories. What do you think?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

True Blue

We are a season, season and a half away at least.

Need to see players healthy, need to see Jones improve with the continuity and upgraded talent around him, Neal needs to improve, next year we may need to revamp the RB room, and WR can still be upgraded, amongst other things. Other young players also need to continue developing and making progress.

I'm confident we will get there, it's when not if. We're getting there....

Bob In PA

Quote from: True Blue on June 21, 2023, 09:09:16 AMWe are a season, season and a half away at least.
TB: I have the same type of cautious optimism. What do you believe we are season (or so) away from? Bob

True Blue

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 21, 2023, 10:37:44 AMTB: I have the same type of cautious optimism. What do you believe we are season (or so) away from? Bob

From being a top tier offense, that can win against any or most defenses

Or an offense that when another high scoring offense is on deck for sunday, the media says to expect a shootout

DaveBrown74

While there is reason to be optimistic that the offense will improve noticeably versus last year, "sky is the limit" seem like a bit of a reach to me.

(1) Our O line is improved, but not drastically, and it's simply not a finished product yet.

(2) We have no bona fide number one wide receiver on this team.

(3) Our QB has proven he can be good, but he has not proven he is better than that.

(4) For years now we can't seem to get out of our own way health-wise.

Too many question marks for me to use a descriptor like "sky is the limit" myself, but there is nothing wrong with enthusiasm.

T200

Quote from: True Blue on June 21, 2023, 12:33:40 PMFrom being a top tier offense, that can win against any or most defenses

Or an offense that when another high scoring offense is on deck for sunday, the media says to expect a shootout
Maybe I'm being a little homer-ish but I think it will be true for this season.

I believe Daniel will take a big step up in production. Waller will provide the biggest boost in the passing game, Slayton has new confidence in himself after getting comfortable in Kafka's system, and Hodgins should continue to excel and provide Jones with solid hands and an outlet in the short/intermediate game.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

So far, over all, it's cautious optimism.  I don't like it when I'm in the majority!!!  LOL

Jolly Blue Giant

Here's my take. Every team is loaded with professional athletes. Even those on practice squads would make us look silly on our best day of our youth. Because all teams have athletes of such high caliber that it's hard to really grasp, any team can beat any other team on any given day. But there is a difference between teams that regularly win, and teams that don't

Winning teams: positive attitude, self-confidence (think of themselves and teammates as winners), and coaches who out think and out maneuver other coaches' game plans

Losing teams: less than positive attitude, lack of confidence in self or teammates, and coaches who stick to old game plans that "used to work" and don't have creativity to move with the times

So...can the Giants improve their offensive stat line this coming season? I think so. We have both great coaching combined with players who now believe in themselves and believe they are going to win - the two most important ingredients for a winning team. Adding playmakers like Walling and shoring up the trenches is just icing on the cake
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I think the limit for this year's offense is top 5.  There are certain players that will need to step up.

Daniel Jones-  I think his ceiling is pro-bowl caliber QB.  I think this offense can thrive if he can play like a top-10 QB

Evan Neal-  His ceiling is above-average tackle, this offense should thrive if he just gets up to average RT

WRs-  Plenty of players in this mix.  If a few play up to their abilities this offense will thrive

Barkley-  Needs to not hold out and needs to stay healthy for another season

Waller-  He is the stick that stirs the drink.  If Waller can stay healthy, this offense will thrive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 21, 2023, 01:37:40 PMHere's my take.
Jolly: Great post. I agree there's a mental aspect to success that feeds on itself if you can first get the motor running. It's a momentum thing... notwithstanding Daboll's true and correct mantra that in pro sports every year is a new beginning in which you essentially start from scratch. Still, IMO, the momentum thing can carry over from one year to the next if (and only if) the players put in the work & keep their collective heads down as a team. Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 21, 2023, 01:41:57 PMI think the limit for this year's offense is top 5.
Rich: I'd settle immediately, right now, for 10th over all in each of the two categories. Bob

madbadger

Far too many moving pieces to make a statement like that. I love the optimism but we are going to need at least five guys to make a sizable step forward. Frankly I don't  think some of them are. I also think 15th in the league last year was a bit of a mirage. I would be surprised if the ended up 12th or 20th this coming season.

MightyGiants

@Bob In PA and @madbadger

If you notice, I said that was the offense's ceiling.  I am certainly not promising that they will hit that ceiling
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

I see nothing but upgrades on offense. Waller staying healthy and Neal improving to at least average willbe the biggest marks up. Schmitz having a good rookie year and any of the receivers rising  from the pack will help as well. As always,  it's the o line first for me that carries the offense. 

4 Aces

If you're asking what the potential ceiling is.....the sky's the limit.

If everything clicks right, this offense is going to be a machine.