News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT - 2023-24 NY Rangers Season

Started by DaveBrown74, July 11, 2023, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Someone just recently started the Knicks 2023-24 season thread, so I figured I'd get the Rangers one going.

There is news today. Miller was signed:

https://nypost.com/2023/07/11/rangers-agree-to-two-year-deal-with-emerging-defenseman-kandre-miller/

On the one hand, I like the $3.9mm/yr number as I feel like Miller has tons of upside and that feels a little cheap, but on the other hand it's only a two year, so if he pans out as I think he will, we're going to have a huge contract coming up in a couple of years.

Still, I'm glad to see him signed as this is just one less thing to worry about now.

In other news, I liked the Wheeler acquisition (think he can still play), and I thought we got a nice player in the first round, despite it being at a position we didn't really need.

The only pickup I'm not so sure about is Jonathan Quick. His number the past couple of seasons stink. He seems like he's completely 100% done. Is that really our backup goalie for this year? I understand he's a huge name, but age and current ability matter. Look at his numbers the last few seasons.

EDjohnst1981

I didn't like the Quick pick-up, I think he's done. Although, it'll be interesting to see what Benoit can do with him.

It kinda needs to work because the cupboard is bare behind Igor.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on July 12, 2023, 07:54:09 AMI didn't like the Quick pick-up, I think he's done. Although, it'll be interesting to see what Benoit can do with him.

It kinda needs to work because the cupboard is bare behind Igor.

When you have a stud goalie in his mid 20s I can understand not wanting to use a high pick on a goalie, but it's a little disconcerting to know that we have so little. Hopefully Shesty just stays pretty healthy and it's not a big deal, but I think Quick is done. The numbers clearly point to that being the case. At best he can hold up and not be a disaster and not play that often and ideally be a good mentor for Shesty.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 12, 2023, 02:50:25 PMWhen you have a stud goalie in his mid 20s I can understand not wanting to use a high pick on a goalie, but it's a little disconcerting to know that we have so little. Hopefully Shesty just stays pretty healthy and it's not a big deal, but I think Quick is done. The numbers clearly point to that being the case. At best he can hold up and not be a disaster and not play that often and ideally be a good mentor for Shesty.

Any chance that with a reduced workload Quick could tap into that elite level on a limited basis? Certainly he hasn't been the same guy he used to be but maybe if he only has to play once a week or whatever he can be solid? 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on July 12, 2023, 03:14:24 PMAny chance that with a reduced workload Quick could tap into that elite level on a limited basis? Certainly he hasn't been the same guy he used to be but maybe if he only has to play once a week or whatever he can be solid? 

Who am I to say there is not "A" chance, but he only played in 9 games last year and his GAA was 3.13.

I will admit I wasn't that psyched about Jaro either, and he proved to be more than serviceable, so far be it from me to say I know more than Drury, Benoit and Laviolette. But I still can't say I feel fantastic about it.

I guess the way to look at it is the regular season isn't all that important as long as you make it and are healthy going into the playoffs. So even if the Rangers have a lower seed because they lose more than 50% of his starts, while that is obviously not ideal it's not the end of the world either. In the playoffs, if Shesty is healthy he is starting every playoff game, clearly. As has been the case the last two years. And if he's not healthy then they're definitely going nowhere regardless of who the backup is.

So at the end of the day it probably isn't that big of a deal. It's really only a big deal if Shesty gets a medium term regular season injury. Similar to an NFL QB. If he needs to miss 4-5 weeks with a groin pull or something that's when it really matters. Hopefully that situation never comes up.

kartanoman

The question is can Quick at least equal Halak's accomplishments last season:

Games Played: 24
Minutes Played: 1453
Won: 10
Lost: 9
OTL: 5
GAA: 2.72
SV%: .903
SO: 1

Decent numbers for a backup goalie. Halak had some ordinary games but the boys in front of him weren't helping his cause. He also had an outstanding run of eight wins in a row, if I remember correctly, where he kept them in the game. So, a 16-year veteran in Quick should be able to produce something similar in order to give Igor a break every now and then. The big fear was whether Igor would get hot for the playoffs and, with the help of Halak, he certainly did. That's all they need from Quick. Establish the rotation early, spell Igor during the season when needed, then step up your game in the late winter to early spring before Igor turns up his game and that's all that's expected.

I'm going to miss Jaro because he really developed into a nice tandem with Igor in the second half of last season and pulled out some big wins. Now the job is up to Quick to do the same in the coming season.

Peace!

P.S. The Rangers would have wiped the ice with the Knights in the Stanley Cup finals had they just taken care of business with the Devils ... jeesh!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)