News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF Ranks Daboll 10th Best Head Coach

Started by Bob In PA, July 12, 2023, 07:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

https://www.giants.com/news/brian-daboll-don-wink-martindale-pff-top-nfl-coaches-defensive-coordinators-2023

Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
    Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
    Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
    John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
    Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
    Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
    Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
    Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
    Brian Daboll, New York Giants

I'm proud, of course, but to be honest I think it's "too high" (on general principles).

Accomplishments in jobs other than "NFL Head Coach" have relevance, but they are not highly relevant.

As other threads have noted, the element of sheer luck must factor into one-year results.

So IMO while he's off to a good start, one year simply does not merit anything better than to acknowledge Daboll APPEARS to be in the top half of the pack.

Accordingly, 10th over all is a bit too high.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Looks like a good ranking order. I understand it's just one year as a HC. Who would you put above Daboll?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2023, 08:32:49 AMLooks like a good ranking order. I understand it's just one year as a HC. Who would you put above Daboll?

Ed: Four of these: Kingsbury(AZ); Carroll(Seattle); LaFleur(GB); McCarthy(Dallas); Vrabel(Titans); Reich(Indy).

How to decide? Maybe who is doing the most with the least... that could be any of them except McCarthy.

Maybe whoever has done well for the longest time period... that might be Carroll; McCarthy; Vrabel.

Whose team has been most consistently above average... I suppose it's McCarthy; LaFleur; Kingsbury.

Last word... my answer would be Carroll, McCarthy and maybe Vrabel (in that order).

Bob

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 12, 2023, 08:53:10 AMEd: Four of these: Kingsbury(AZ); Carroll(Seattle); LaFleur(GB); McCarthy(Dallas); Vrabel(Titans); Reich(Indy).

How to decide? Maybe who is doing the most with the least... that could be any of them except McCarthy.

Maybe whoever has done well for the longest time period... that might be Carroll; McCarthy; Vrabel.

Who's team has been most consistently above average... I suppose it's McCarthy; LaFleur; Kingsbury.

Last word... my answer would be Carroll, McCarthy and maybe Vrabel (in that order).

Bob
So it drops him to 13th. Seems fair.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2023, 09:05:13 AMSo it drops him to 13th. Seems fair.
Ed: My dream is he moves up a step every year, retires a Giant & slides into the HOF at the earliest opportunity.

Then again, that is being said after only one year of good results.

I remember (vicariously) the "Andy Reid Experience" in Philadelphia. I bet they would still rather have him back.

Bob