News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF Ranks Martindale 6th Best Defensive Coordinator

Started by Bob In PA, July 12, 2023, 07:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

https://www.giants.com/news/brian-daboll-don-wink-martindale-pff-top-nfl-coaches-defensive-coordinators-2023

Bill Belichick/Steve Belichick, New England Patriots
    Lou Anarumo, Cincinnati Bengals
    Vic Fangio, Miami Dolphins
    Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys
    Steve Spagnuolo, Kansas City Chiefs
    Wink Martindale, New York Giants
    Raheem Morris, Los Angeles Rams
    Brian Flores, Minnesota Vikings
    Ejiro Evero, Carolina Panthers
    Steve Wilks, San Francisco 49ers

Wink has clearly earned it. 

So many years in NFL, always producing solid results no matter what group of player they give him.

Accordingly, 6th over all seems about right to me (but see below).

Bob

PS.  I think it's a double standard to allow Steve Belechick to be "bootstrapped" into these rankings on the back of Bill Belechick.  I think it's unfair to the others and if these rankings were actually worth more than the paper PFF wrote them on I would disqualify the pair from the top spot and move everyone else up one notch.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I think Wink is one of the best in the business. Baltimore's Ds were consistently top 5 in the league under his watch. Obviously in 2021 they struggled because they lost their two starting corners, but who wouldn't under those circumstances. I think the guy they put in in his place is clearly not as good.

Ed Vette

Unfortunately for Wink, his ability to adapt to the players he has is a blessing and a curse. GMs will tend to invest more in Offense. He needed another Edge, Inside LB and Secondary. The money went to Jones and Saquon and the Draft was tilted Offense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 12, 2023, 09:48:06 AMUnfortunately for Wink, his ability to adapt to the players he has is a blessing and a curse. GMs will tend to invest more in Offense. He needed another Edge, Inside LB and Secondary. The money went to Jones and Saquon and the Draft was tilted Offense.
Ed: Agree, but having such a person may be the best (maybe only) "safe" way to win in the salary cap era.

You have to find a "short-cut" somewhere so you can "skimp" (giving you an advantage over 31 other teams).

Some possibilities in this era IMO:

(1) have a QB who elevates the rest of the offense (a very costly way to go; deadly if it doesn't pan out).
(2) have a DC who does more with less, leaving more money to spend on offense.
(3) used to be (maybe still is) build an OL w/low-round picks (leaving more hi picks for skill players).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!