News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF delusional ???

Started by Bob In PA, July 17, 2023, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Here's the latest PFF prediction for the Giants this season:

Over/Under 7.5 win total: Under

The Giants are due for some regression to the mean. They finished 9-7-1 despite being the fourth-lowest-graded team in the NFL overall. They're heavily reliant on the running game, and their back seven on defense has major question marks. A last-place finish in the NFC East wouldn't be that shocking.

Projected 2023 starting lineup
OFFENSE                           DEFENSE
QB Daniel Jones (75.8)              DI Dexter Lawrence (91.6)
RB Saquon Barkley (80.3)        DI Leonard Williams (74.2)
RB Matt Breida (69.5)             Edge Kayvon Thibodeaux (72.5)
WR Darius Slayton (66.0)        Edge Azeez Ojulari (59.6)
WR Isaiah Hodgins (76.1)      Edge Oshane Ximines (56.6)
WR Wan'Dale Robinson (72.0)       LB Bobby Okereke (73.3)
TE Darren Waller (72.4)        LB Jarrad Davis (57.5)
LT Andrew Thomas (90.3)       CB Adoree' Jackson (70.8)
LG Ben Bredeson (57.5)              CB Deonte Banks (72.0*)
C John Michael Schmitz (92.3*)      CB Darnay Holmes (44.3)
RG Mark Glowinski (65.6)      S Xavier McKinney (61.1)
RT Evan Neal (41.8)              S Jason Pinnock (61.8)

Is there anyone here who believes this is even close to a good guess?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

It's as good a guess as anyone else's, I suppose. Good guess, bad guess... they all fall into the same (trash) bin. I'll start putting stock into them when they actually have an effect on a real game.

No, Painter and I haven't been hanging out lately but his frustration with these things certainly isn't lost on me.

:cheers:  ;)
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

I never get rattled or bent out of shape when some independent body predicts that we won't be that great. I either agree or disagree, but they never actually annoy me. All that matters to me is what happens on the field. Thankfully, all of these summer debates get resolved in cold, black and white fashion on the grid-iron come fall/winter. What anyone outside the organization says/writes/thinks/tweets in July is utterly irrelevant.

If anything, it's good when the team is underestimated. Historically we have played better with an underdog dynamic.

uconnjack8

PFF is doing what PFF does, which is use grades from 1 year to predict the next.  While veterans of 5 or more years are not likely to see a big improvement, second year players regularly make a leap. 

More importantly, putting together a good football team is a lot more than putting together a bunch of guys that PFF thinks are good. 

I would not be shocked if the Giants finish in last place in the division (I would be surprised and disappointed) but I don't think that is the most likely scenario. 

One note, for some reason PFF thinks the Giants will be starting Oshane Ximines as a 3rd EDGE rather than Ashawn Robinson who coincidentally has a grade almost 10 points higher.  I am sure there are some other names on that list that will have a lesser role than someone not listed. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on July 17, 2023, 10:19:22 AMPFF is doing what PFF does, which is use grades from 1 year to predict the next.  While veterans of 5 or more years are not likely to see a big improvement, second year players regularly make a leap. 

More importantly, putting together a good football team is a lot more than putting together a bunch of guys that PFF thinks are good. 

I would not be shocked if the Giants finish in last place in the division (I would be surprised and disappointed) but I don't think that is the most likely scenario. 

One note, for some reason PFF thinks the Giants will be starting Oshane Ximines as a 3rd EDGE rather than Ashawn Robinson who coincidentally has a grade almost 10 points higher.  I am sure there are some other names on that list that will have a lesser role than someone not listed. 
Ximines will be the 3rd edge, or at least Ward will be. Ashawn will likely be DE on a 3 man line with Lawrence, and Williams, and depth when we run 2 down linemen.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on July 17, 2023, 10:45:15 AMXimines will be the 3rd edge, or at least Ward will be. Ashawn will likely be DE on a 3 man line with Lawrence, and Williams, and depth when we run 2 down linemen.

Yes, I fully understand that Ximines will be a 3rd EDGE, but he is listed as starter/major contributor in this.  I think Robinson is one example of a person that is likely to have more snaps than Ximines who I think will be out there in obvious pass rushing situations only.  And maybe not even all of those.

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on July 17, 2023, 10:57:22 AMYes, I fully understand that Ximines will be a 3rd EDGE, but he is listed as starter/major contributor in this.  I think Robinson is one example of a person that is likely to have more snaps than Ximines who I think will be out there in obvious pass rushing situations only.  And maybe not even all of those.
I agree completely, however we are 1 injury away from our Linebacker core being garbage and that's after spending a top 10 pick, a 2nd rd pick, and a splash FA signing at Mike. We desperately need a camp cut or signing post the barkley deal being resolved imo. Either an actual 3rd EDGE or a Mike that can play next to Bobby OK in base sets.

Trench

PFF = click bait this time of year

GloryDays

I don't really care about these EXPERTS and talking heads' prognostications.
I am in Vegas right now and put a good size wager on the Giants over 7.5. A smaller size wager on the commanders going below 6.5.
Of course I have been wrong before as anything can happen in the span of a season as it happened before derailing the team... I feel a little better this year about our depth though.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: GloryDays on July 17, 2023, 06:48:21 PMI don't really care about these EXPERTS and talking heads' prognostications.
I am in Vegas right now and put a good size wager on the Giants over 7.5. A smaller size wager on the commanders going below 6.5.
Of course I have been wrong before as anything can happen in the span of a season as it happened before derailing the team... I feel a little better this year about our depth though.

Good luck with both bets. I hope you're right on both of them.