News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Great Quotes

Started by Bob In PA, July 24, 2023, 12:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

If you come across a truly exceptional quotation, please post it here.

I like reading them, so please add any you think are worthy of note.  Mine is from Albert Einstein...

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity (and I'm not sure about the universe)."

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Mark Twain — 'I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

"If I had had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." - disputed origin but seems to most likely have been 17th century French mathematician Blaise Pascal.

"Forgive your enemies but remember their names." - JFK

"The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect."  - Warren Buffett

"One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than 50 preaching it."  -  Knute Rockne

Ed Vette

Two rules in life,
Don't sweat the small stuff and...
Everything is the small stuff.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Maybe not exactly great, but.....

"Too much of everything is just enough" - a line in The Grateful Dead song, "I Need a Miracle," the lyrics were written by poet John Barlow. Back in the 70's a good friend of mine was asked to design a t-shirt to be sold at a Dead concert in Boulder, Colorado. He did, and the design included the quoted line above. I had one for the longest time, until it finally began ripping out at the seams.

Jolly Blue Giant

Corrected

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is felt by everyone else. Same thing if you're stupid" Author unknown
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

John Ruskin: "The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions."

It is the motto of the Society of Actuaries, which I was a member of (ASA) for over 20 years.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

ozzie

I'll just go with my favorite quote from my Dad....

"Use your head for something besides a hat rack."
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on August 11, 2023, 01:26:26 PMI'll just go with my favorite quote from my Dad....

"Use your head for something besides a hat rack."

Brilliant. Love it.

=D>

Jolly Blue Giant

Always remember, "overnight success" usually takes about 15 years (author unknown)

Philosophers

One crom the Greek philosopher I really like:

A man's character is his fate."

How true in today's world

GordonGekko80

"The mother of jerks is always pregnant"

Jolly Blue Giant

"Intelligence is stagnant, but curiosity knows no bounds"

Jolly Blue Giant

"Knowing the answers will help you in school. Knowing how to question will help you in life"

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth"

"Curiosity is a willing, a proud, and eager confession of ignorance"

"Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on August 28, 2023, 11:49:47 AM"Knowing the answers will help you in school. Knowing how to question will help you in life"

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth"

"Curiosity is a willing, a proud, and eager confession of ignorance"

"Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why"

Any idea who said these?