News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- D.J. and this team looked absolutely lethal tonight -

Started by sxdxca38, August 18, 2023, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

While Jones was only in for one drive, these were his stats.

8/9 88% 69 yards 1 TD 0 Int 135.6 QB Rating

He should have been 9/9 if Waller held onto the ball.

Speaking of TE Waller, he also looked unbelievable, what a weapon!

WR Hyatt looks fantastic with that speed to stretch the defense and caught a long TD.

WR Campbell looks like a solid #2

OT Thomas and Neal both looked very good on the ends.

DE Thibodeaux had a sack, and you can see what he can become.

CB Banks and Hawkins were both excellent.

CB Jackson in the slot played well.

DT Lawrence and Williams will be powerful.

LB Okereke is good.

And this was without RB Saquon Barkley even playing.

This team to me has the makings of becoming something very special, and D.J. has ascended and blossomed at just the right time. I believe he is going to silence every single one of his critics this year.

As long as they can keep the injuries down, I think they are one of the better teams in the NFC.

Your thoughts?

Dgoodmantrublu

Neal had one bad rep all night. His technique was so much better. Didn't give up the edge. I want to rewatch to look closer at the OGs.

spiderblue43

I'm more cautious by nature given the vagaries of a 17-game season  for our heroes. That being said, the first team looked very sharp. Good stuff to be excited about, no doubt.

I feel our insurance policy now is our organizational rehaul and Daboll. With this current roster and staff..we should be very competitive, at least.

:yes:

sxdxca38

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 18, 2023, 11:08:07 PMNeal had one bad rep all night. His technique was so much better. Didn't give up the edge. I want to rewatch to look closer at the OGs.

Yeah, the guards gave up a few pressures. In fact, the one-time D.J. had to run it came from inside pressure.

sxdxca38

Quote from: spiderblue43 on August 18, 2023, 11:14:54 PMI'm more cautious by nature given the vagaries of a 17-game season  for our heroes. That being said, the first team looked very sharp. Good stuff to be excited about, no doubt.

I feel our insurance policy now is our organizational rehaul and Daboll. With this current roster and staff..we should be very competitive, at least.

:yes:

I had to look up what the word vagaries meant, never heard of that one before  :surrender:

Dgoodmantrublu

That was Glowinski missing a stunt.

Most of the other pressure I saw came from Gray doing poor blitz pickup.

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 18, 2023, 11:41:39 PMYeah, the guards gave up a few pressures. In fact, the one-time D.J. had to run it came from inside pressure.

Trench

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 18, 2023, 11:59:04 PMThat was Glowinski missing a stunt.

Most of the other pressure I saw came from Gray doing poor blitz pickup.

I saw Gray do nice job on couple blitzes

Dgoodmantrublu

Yes. He picked up 3 quite nicely. Missed a few quite badly. Banks talked about it during the broadcast.

Quote from: Trench on August 19, 2023, 12:21:24 AMI saw Gray do nice job on couple blitzes

True Blue

I hope it all turns out to be true in the regular season, just remember the Lions in 2008 I think it was, went 4-0 in preseason then went 0-16. The optimism is great, and the signs are encouraging for sure, but preseason and regular season are entirely different animals. I hope it continues into it though, hopefully soon enough I can join you in it

DaveBrown74

I thought Jones looked sharp. His mechanics looked good, he displayed some arm strength, and his throws were on target. That said, I wouldn't call that the most challenging of outings. He faced little pressure, and guys were open. That's not a knock, because he did look good, but it will be more challenging than this in the Dallas game, to say the very least.

4 Aces

Congratulations, boys and girls.

What we saw last night was something close to the best case scenario playing out:

*Jones to Waller has actual chemistry - like Eli to Plax. Just because you sign a big name receiver doesn't mean he's going to mesh well. Look at Golladay and his infamous quote "still trying to get on the same page" with DJ after their first camp. We aren't hearing that now. It's pitch and catch.

*The play design is phenomenal. I'm not even sure Coughlin/Gilbride had play design like this. It was no accident how good BUF and KC are in the redzone, and it's no accident how good NYG were last year. Look at the scoring play: Waller and Bellinger lined up on the left. Fake pitch right, Waller runs vertically into the EZ, Bellinger with a fake kick-out block, then slips into the empty void created by Waller. Easy TD. It's just beautiful to watch.

*Watching Campbell catch the same passes Richie James did last year is really fun. Huge upgrade - looks really comfortable catching the slant over the middle. Has the requisite balls of steel.

*Evan Neal indeed looks much better. He looked panicked last year. This year he's balanced, & under control. He doesn't need to hit guys full force, he just needs to touch them and it's over. He's figuring out how to play within himself.

*On D - same story. The new additions showing up. Okereke was a presence in the middle. Lawrence looks even better than he did last year and gets pressure almost every snap. And Banks & Hawkins look like perfect scheme fits. Unexpectedly getting Hawkins almost isn't fair. Owens & Riley look like players, too. Can the back half of the draft really be this good?

*Even Gillan looks like he's got better control this year.

After the last 10 years, we deserve this......for me personally, somewhere between McAdoo, Shurmur and Judge I lost my passion a bit. Times with all 3 tenures I didn't even enjoy watching the games anymore. It's been such a long time since we've rooted for a sustainable winner, but that's what we're seeing now. And boy oh boy, does it feel great. Happy for all Giants fans - especially those with young kids that have never seen the team be good.

MightyGiants

Consider that the Giants were moving the ball at will without Saquon Barkley.   Imagine this offense when defenses not only need to stop the new and improved passing attack but still need to figure out how to stop Barkley.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 19, 2023, 08:20:09 AMConsider that the Giants were moving the ball at will without Saquon Barkley.   Imagine this offense when defenses not only need to stop the new and improved passing attack but still need to figure out how to stop Barkley.

Any reason why Barkley didn't play last night? I mean even people with marginal health like Shepard were in there.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2023, 08:21:38 AMAny reason why Barkley didn't play last night? I mean even people with marginal health like Shepard were in there.

There was speculation that Barkley wouldn't play.  It's possible it could have been a request made by his agent or the coaches simply didn't think the reward was worth the risk.

Unlike Barkley, I think Shep is fighting for a roster spot.  So it was in Shep's best interest to play some snaps.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 19, 2023, 08:27:44 AMThere was speculation that Barkley wouldn't play.  It's possible it could have been a request made by his agent or the coaches simply didn't think the reward was worth the risk.

Unlike Barkley, I think Shep is fighting for a roster spot.  So it was in Shep's best interest to play some snaps.

Fair enough, but literally everyone was out there. I don't think it's a big deal or anything, but it was slightly odd to see a healthy starter not play at all last night.

I guess of all positions RB is arguably the most muscle-memory dependent, so not playing in the preseason isn't that big of a deal.