News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- D.J. and this team looked absolutely lethal tonight -

Started by sxdxca38, August 18, 2023, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 19, 2023, 09:33:36 AMIn this I agree, also with D.J. ascending at just the right time, people will finally say the Giants have their franchise QB.

You're presuming a lot based on a single preseason game, against a bad team, who didn't play 100% of thier starters.  Every year, fans equate veteran players' preseason play to regular season performance, and every year it does not come to fruition; yet, we do it over-and-over again.  For example, last year, in the second Pre Season game, against a good Cinci Team, Davis Webb went 22-27 with 2 TDs...he looked sharp. Posters were suggesting we cut Taylor and promote Webb to the 2d QB, based on a single preseason performance; today, he's out-of-football.  In 2019, DJ (and all QBs) looked great in thier second pre season game against the Jets:

C/ATT    YDS    AVG    TD    INT    SACKS    RTG   
Alex Tanney  14/19    190    10.0    1    0    0-0    122.7   
Kyle Lauletta 9/12    116    9.7    1    0    1-2    132.6   
Daniel Jones  5/5    67    13.4    1    0    0-0    158.3   

The same statements were uttered; yet, once the regular season started, none of it came to fruition.

Also, I'm a little perplexed by your statement that 'people will finally say the Giants have thier franchise QB.' I suspect that will occur when the Giants give him a contract on par with Herbert, Jackson and Hurt, not David Carr, or he steers a top 10 passing offense and/or consistently beats Phil and Dal. I think those are fair objectives, vice a great preseason performance vs a bad team.  Also, if DJ went 0-9, I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest...he's a good QB and a single mundane preseason performance won't cause me to believe otherwise.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but when you suggest how others should think, based on a meaningless game, I think it's fair to pushback, a little.  The good news is football is almost upon us, and we'll have all our answers soon; plus, we're led by a true professional; a GM who knows what he's doing!

kingm56

Quote from: kartanoman on August 19, 2023, 10:04:20 AMI broke normal protocol and caught a piece of the game last night.

The Carolina defense looked either over matched or were doing other things but certainly going head to head was barely one of them.

Pit what we watched last night against Dallas, San Francisco or Philadelphia first, please, before describing it as "lethal." Different, encouraging, improved from last week, those adjectives I would most certainly tend to describe the overall progress of the 2023 Giants.

Finally, it might be just me, but I just loved the "ny" logo at the 50 yard line. That just completed the view for me and was something lacking for a long time.

Peace!

I'm curious why you have a protocol not to watch the game?

100% agree on the "NY" logo...PLEASE keep it!.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 19, 2023, 08:31:52 AMFair enough, but literally everyone was out there. I don't think it's a big deal or anything, but it was slightly odd to see a healthy starter not play at all last night.

I guess of all positions RB is arguably the most muscle-memory dependent, so not playing in the preseason isn't that big of a deal.

Honestly what does playing Barkley achieve?  He does not need the work.  We know what we have with him.  Save hos legs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on August 19, 2023, 11:04:48 AMHonestly what does playing Barkley achieve?  He does not need the work.  We know what we have with him.  Save hos legs.

There's something to be said for having the whole starting team out there at the same time once before the regular season. I could say what you said above about a number of players on this team who are established good veterans. And if Barkley playing a mere series or two (let's say 3-4 carries) is really going to impact his legs or his outlook for the season and he's that delicate, then I'm definitely glad we didn't make a multi-year commitment.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think playing running backs in preseason is useless. Not worth wearing them down before the season starts.

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on August 19, 2023, 10:26:07 AMYou're presuming a lot based on a single preseason game,
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but

@sxdxca38 Don't ya love coming here just to get your balls broken... hey, the odds are on your side and unless he craps the bed, the DJ I saw at camp is the Franchise QB and $40mm is nothing to sneeze at.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 01:07:39 PM@sxdxca38 Don't ya love coming here just to get your balls broken... hey, the odds are on your side and unless he craps the bed, the DJ I saw at camp is the Franchise QB and $40mm is nothing to sneeze at.

Balls broken?  I offered a cogent and respectful response to a post, which did not break any rules. If you have data that refutes my point, please share it. Otherwise, you're doing nothing more than what you accused me of. 

Concerning the notion DJ is a franchise QB depends on your definition of franchise.  I suspect the meaning differs among fans.  IMO, a franchise QB is someone the team commits considerable resources, for a period of 4+ years. To be specific, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Hurt, etc are franchise type QBs.  I don't view David Carr as a franchise QB; since DJ has a remarkably similar contract, I don't view him as one either. Nor do I believe a single pre season game should alter your perspective.  What I do believe, for 4 years now, is DJ is a good QB (12 to 16); considering that's precisely how the Giants valued/paid him, I don't think I'm far off.   

Perhaps you and SDX view Carr as a franchise QB, which is the impetus of our friction...a simple miss understanding of what constitutes a franchise QB. Regardless, I stand by my original point.  Trying to glean anything from a single pre season game is utterly pointless.  How many 5th year starters have proven to be something vastly different than the previous 4 years?  Less than 1%...0%?  I don't see how sharing that view constitutes breaking someone's balls. 

Jclayton92

If the ones play any next week I see a heavy dose of Waller again. Then in week 1 I could honestly see them using Waller as a decoy especially if he's going to get doubled and just feed Campbell, Bellinger, Hyatt, and others on easy completions up and down the field.

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on August 19, 2023, 02:52:08 PMBalls broken?  I offered a cogent and respectful response to a post, which did not break any rules. If you have data that refutes my point, please share it. Otherwise, you're doing nothing more than what you accused me of. 

Concerning the notion DJ is a franchise QB depends on your definition of franchise.  I suspect the meaning differs among fans.  IMO, a franchise QB is someone the team commits considerable resources, for a period of 4+ years. To be specific, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Hurt, etc are franchise type QBs.  I don't view David Carr as a franchise QB; since DJ has a remarkably similar contract, I don't view him as one either. Nor do I believe a single pre season game should alter your perspective.  What I do believe, for 4 years now, is DJ is a good QB (12 to 16); considering that's precisely how the Giants valued/paid him, I don't think I'm far off.   

Perhaps you and SDX view Carr as a franchise QB, which is the impetus of our friction...a simple miss understanding of what constitutes a franchise QB. Regardless, I stand by my original point.  Trying to glean anything from a single pre season game is utterly pointless.  How many 5th year starters have proven to be something vastly different than the previous 4 years?  Less than 1%...0%?  I don't see how sharing that view constitutes breaking someone's balls. 

You could have stated your opinion without quoting him and trying to prove him wrong. Whether you like it or not, the Giants consider Jones their Franchise QB or else they would not have signed him to begin with and it's up to Jones now to validate that. We don't need to prove a point by making someone else look bad. And your post was aimed to do that. Otherwise you wouldn't have chosen the words you chose or quoted him to begin with.

That said, I respect your opinion and I consider you a valuable knowledgeable member. I have supported you too in the past when DJ was getting shade by several members here last season. Just because you had a negative opinion, doesn't mean you have to walk on eggshells to express it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 01:07:39 PM@sxdxca38 Don't ya love coming here just to get your balls broken... hey, the odds are on your side and unless he craps the bed, the DJ I saw at camp is the Franchise QB and $40mm is nothing to sneeze at.

Ed,

Seriously, right? In any event thank you so much for your comments, and I trust your evaluation of what you physically saw with your own eyes at camp. I believe every word you said about D.J.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 19, 2023, 04:17:52 PMYou could have stated your opinion without quoting him and trying to prove him wrong. Whether you like it or not, the Giants consider Jones their Franchise QB or else they would not have signed him to begin with and it's up to Jones now to validate that. We don't need to prove a point by making someone else look bad. And your post was aimed to do that. Otherwise you wouldn't have chosen the words you chose or quoted him to begin with.

That said, I respect your opinion and I consider you a valuable knowledgeable member. I have supported you too in the past when DJ was getting shade by several members here last season. Just because you had a negative opinion, doesn't mean you have to walk on eggshells to express it.

Ed,

Once again thank you. I'm more than thankful for people like yourself, Mighty and T200 for being the administrators here. I don't know what I'd do without you guys, you really make this place a safe haven for Giant fans to express their support of the team.

JT39

I never get too high or too low during preseason. The panthers were doing their thing and the giants were doing there's.

Games during the regular season usually come down to 3 things.

1. Health
2. Coaches adjustments
3. Little luck.

Jclayton92

I don't know about ascending at just the right time, I would have been fine with him ascending 4 years ago.

In any event, 10 live snaps against a base defense from a panthers team that finished 19th in points allowed, 22nd in total yards and against the pass, and 18th against the run,  doesn't tell us much.

Yes Jones has looked great in camp and he's coming off a solid year 4 but let's see it first in a live game before we anoint it. I am all for being excited but preseason is basically practice, so let's see how we do week 1 lined up against Parson, Diggs and Co who we couldn't beat last year before doing the ickey shuffle.

It's nice to have actual discussions, yes we all cheer for the Giants but we all also have different expectations and opinions, so when ones claim is questioned it can still be civil and an actual discussion as most things are here.

Daniel Jones has proven everything he needs to for some, others see a passing offense that left a lot to be desired last year and still see question marks and think there is some work to be done. Both aren't right or wrong, it's just based on your individual expectations and opinion which you're welcome to have.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think Jones' development is different because years 2-3 were completely wasted in the Jason Garrett offense. Now he has real coaching and finally may have talent around him. So I am open minded about him becoming a top tier guy. I was ready to give up last year. I will say this. My main philosophy as a fan is to be optimistic because fandom should be fun.

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 19, 2023, 07:50:38 PMEd,

Once again thank you. I'm more than thankful for people like yourself, Mighty and T200 for being the administrators here. I don't know what I'd do without you guys, you really make this place a safe haven for Giant fans to express their support of the team.

Ed, with respect people quote each other all the time on this site. Why the need to be overly aggressive to a poster? Respectfully, we should strive to stay consistent in my humble opinion.