News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- D.J. and this team looked absolutely lethal tonight -

Started by sxdxca38, August 18, 2023, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4 Aces

Great quote from Brown about putting "generators" around Jones.

This sums up my feelings to the people in this threat saying "I need to see it first" from Jones. (I'm assuming "it" means better production with better players around him?) It's not a controversial statement to say better skill players = more production from QB. For instance - Waller. I don't need to wait and see what having an All Pro #1 option does for an offense.

Otherwise, we saw "it" last year - he just had the worst supporting cast in the league. In fact, we saw "it" under Shurmur and Judge, too. Just like he had "it" at Duke despite getting abused every game. Somehow ends up as a top 10 pick.

He's always had "it". He's NEVER had a team around him until right now. 

True Blue

Quote from: 4 Aces on August 21, 2023, 10:51:10 AMGreat quote from Brown about putting "generators" around Jones.

This sums up my feelings to the people in this threat saying "I need to see it first" from Jones. (I'm assuming "it" means better production with better players around him?) It's not a controversial statement to say better skill players = more production from QB. For instance - Waller. I don't need to wait and see what having an All Pro #1 option does for an offense.

Otherwise, we saw "it" last year - he just had the worst supporting cast in the league. In fact, we saw "it" under Shurmur and Judge, too. Just like he had "it" at Duke despite getting abused every game. Somehow ends up as a top 10 pick.

He's always had "it". He's NEVER had a team around him until right now. 

Considering they never picked up his 5th year option, I don't think they we're convinced prior to last season that he had "it"

Bob In PA

There weren't many negatives on first-string offense, but my "worst" one is this...

Jones has to be careful where he throws; "up high" is not always best placement, even to a guy like Waller.

That one ball he threw that almost got Waller killed probably WOULD HAVE in a game that counted.

The safety was more careful (of both Waller and himself) because it was preseason.

The good news is that apparently there was no damage done, and best of all Jones hopefully learned something.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on August 21, 2023, 11:05:10 AMConsidering they never picked up his 5th year option, I don't think they we're convinced prior to last season that he had "it"

This could be true, although it's possible they were more concerned that Jones could show he could stay healthy
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: True Blue on August 21, 2023, 11:05:10 AMConsidering they never picked up his 5th year option, I don't think they we're convinced prior to last season that he had "it"

Thank goodness, after 1983, Bill Parcells was convinced that Phil Simms had "it" when he chose "his guys" going into the 1984 season. Nearly 40 years later, I see the similarities with Daboll and Jones.

Parcells and Simms had a fifth place schedule to navigate through in 1984; however, the NFC East battles were the stuff of legends. Daboll and Jones will have to do it following a playoff season and a challenging schedule. Both the proponents AND naysayers will have the opportunity to validate this proverbial "it" factor in Daniel Jones.

It's going to be a fun season to watch him truly break out and see his full toolbox unleashed. As 1984 remains one of my all-time favorite Giant seasons, for Phil Simms coming of age, so too am I hoping 2023 will have a familiar theme for Daniel Jones.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Trench

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 21, 2023, 11:15:10 AMThere weren't many negatives on first-string offense, but my "worst" one is this...

Jones has to be careful where he throws; "up high" is not always best placement, even to a guy like Waller.

That one ball he threw that almost got Waller killed probably WOULD HAVE in a game that counted.

The safety was more careful (of both Waller and himself) because it was preseason.

The good news is that apparently there was no damage done, and best of all Jones hopefully learned something.

Bob

I never looked at it that way but you make a very valid point

AZGiantFan

To be fair, they had to make that decision before they had any first hand experience with him and could see his work ethic, physical skills, and coachability.  If they'd known then what they know now they'd have snapped up his option, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Last year was his first year healthy throughout the entire season.

"It" is a broad term, yes Jones has grit, determination, great use of his legs, and great deep ball accuracy. To this point though through 4 seasons we haven't seen Jones be put in a position were the running game was completely taken away and he had to win it with his arm on a consistent basis. 2 games come to mind last year in Seattle, and Detriot. I don't think it's too much to still need to see that Jones can go out and win it with his arm. It can't be all on the wrs either I mean 2 of our starting wrs last year are starting this year. We only went over 200 yards passing like 6 times last year as a team and I look forward to seeing the progression this season. I am hoping for the best but also would like to see it happen when the season starts.

Trench

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 21, 2023, 02:50:34 PMLast year was his first year healthy throughout the entire season.

"It" is a broad term, yes Jones has grit, determination, great use of his legs, and great deep ball accuracy. To this point though through 4 seasons we haven't seen Jones be put in a position were the running game was completely taken away and he had to win it with his arm on a consistent basis. 2 games come to mind last year in Seattle, and Detriot. I don't think it's too much to still need to see that Jones can go out and win it with his arm. It can't be all on the wrs either I mean 2 of our starting wrs last year are starting this year. We only went over 200 yards passing like 6 times last year as a team and I look forward to seeing the progression this season. I am hoping for the best but also would like to see it happen when the season starts.

Agreed. I also need to see him stay healthy particularly with the hamstring as that injury once it happens does tend to recur

uconnjack8

Finally got around to watching the game.  Feels like like it's been a few years since the 1st team offense looked that crisp in preseason.   Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

sxdxca38

Quote from: kingm56 on August 19, 2023, 10:26:07 AMYou're presuming a lot based on a single preseason game, against a bad team, who didn't play 100% of thier starters.  Every year, fans equate veteran players' preseason play to regular season performance, and every year it does not come to fruition; yet, we do it over-and-over again.  For example, last year, in the second Pre Season game, against a good Cinci Team, Davis Webb went 22-27 with 2 TDs...he looked sharp. Posters were suggesting we cut Taylor and promote Webb to the 2d QB, based on a single preseason performance; today, he's out-of-football.  In 2019, DJ (and all QBs) looked great in thier second pre season game against the Jets:

C/ATT    YDS    AVG    TD    INT    SACKS    RTG   
Alex Tanney  14/19    190    10.0    1    0    0-0    122.7   
Kyle Lauletta 9/12    116    9.7    1    0    1-2    132.6   
Daniel Jones  5/5    67    13.4    1    0    0-0    158.3   

The same statements were uttered; yet, once the regular season started, none of it came to fruition.

Also, I'm a little perplexed by your statement that 'people will finally say the Giants have thier franchise QB.' I suspect that will occur when the Giants give him a contract on par with Herbert, Jackson and Hurt, not David Carr, or he steers a top 10 passing offense and/or consistently beats Phil and Dal. I think those are fair objectives, vice a great preseason performance vs a bad team.  Also, if DJ went 0-9, I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest...he's a good QB and a single mundane preseason performance won't cause me to believe otherwise.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but when you suggest how others should think, based on a meaningless game, I think it's fair to pushback, a little.  The good news is football is almost upon us, and we'll have all our answers soon; plus, we're led by a true professional; a GM who knows what he's doing!

Hi,

I waited several days to respond to your comments because of work and other priorities. However, I do feel I have a right to defend my position, and I will do so now.

Sadly, it seems you believe that my position is based off of "one single preseason game", but that couldn't be further from the truth.

First let's take a look at the progress D.J. made in 2022.

A) His completion percentage of 67% was ranked 6th in the league, and the highest for any Giants QB ever.

B) His RTG of 92.5 was ranked 13th, and his QBR of 60.8 was ranked 6th in the league.

C) While his 3,200 passing yards were average, if we combine his rushing stats, we get over 3,900 total yards, and a 22 TD to 5 Int ratio, greater than 4/1, and that was with him not even playing in the 17th game last year.

D) His fumbles were reduced from 18 in 2019, to just 6 in 2022.

Then we combine the fact that I believe Evan Neal at RT will take a nice step forward.

The drafting of JMS in the 2nd rd, who I believe will not only be solid, but has the potential to become a pro bowl C, solidifies the O line for years to come.

The additions of Waller at TE, Campbell at WR, the drafting of Hyatt at WR, and being in Daboll and Kafka's system for a second straight year will help him be more comfortable and he will be able to process faster.

Then we notice he goes 8/9, should have been 9/9 in the last preseason game, and now you can see why myself and others feel that he is poised to have an even better year statistically in 2023, than he did in 2022.

This is why I have used the terms like "ascending", "blossoming", and "emerging" in several of my posts.

So once again it isn't just one preseason game, but it is an entire body of work.

On a side note, there have been several statements that you have made over the past year that have proven to be inaccurate, but I have no need to address those at this time.

Feel free to respond, as you can have the last word, as I'm now off to work.

Trench

Quote from: sxdxca38 on August 25, 2023, 10:23:43 AMHi,

I waited several days to respond to your comments because of work and other priorities. However, I do feel I have a right to defend my position, and I will do so now.

Sadly, it seems you believe that my position is based off of "one single preseason game", but that couldn't be further from the truth.

First let's take a look at the progress D.J. made in 2022.

A) His completion percentage of 67% was ranked 6th in the league, and the highest for any Giants QB ever.

B) His RTG of 92.5 was ranked 13th, and his QBR of 60.8 was ranked 6th in the league.

C) While his 3,200 passing yards were average, if we combine his rushing stats, we get over 3,900 total yards, and a 22 TD to 5 Int ratio, greater than 4/1, and that was with him not even playing in the 17th game last year.

D) His fumbles were reduced from 18 in 2019, to just 6 in 2022.

Then we combine the fact that I believe Evan Neal at RT will take a nice step forward.

The drafting of JMS in the 2nd rd, who I believe will not only be solid, but has the potential to become a pro bowl C, solidifies the O line for years to come.

The additions of Waller at TE, Campbell at WR, the drafting of Hyatt at WR, and being in Daboll and Kafka's system for a second straight year will help him be more comfortable and he will be able to process faster.

Then we notice he goes 8/9, should have been 9/9 in the last preseason game, and now you can see why myself and others feel that he is poised to have an even better year statistically in 2023, than he did in 2022.

This is why I have used the terms like "ascending", "blossoming", and "emerging" in several of my posts.

So once again it isn't just one preseason game, but it is an entire body of work.

On a side note, there have been several statements that you have made over the past year that have proven to be inaccurate, but I have no need to address those at this time.

Feel free to respond, as you can have the last word, as I'm now off to work.

Good post and I appreciate your reasoning which has merit...posts like this make this board great. Others feel differently and that's ok too. That is where perhaps we all can agree to accept it's ok and it's not about vindication and being right.

I'm on record as being more negative on Jones. This was based on what I have seen and evaluated as a fan. Others see it differently and from what I see this summer they appear to be right - time will tell. I stand by my belief he locks on receivers still (from watching as many clips as possible this summmer) and I need to see him march the field and get into the end zone with his arm when it counts in both 2 minute drills. Lastly, I hope he can stay healthy and limit the turnovers. So far this summer he appears to be taking that next step and I can't wait to watch Jones this season.