News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Prince formally retired as a Giant

Started by MightyGiants, August 24, 2023, 03:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Suprised to hear this, but glad to see it. I always liked him and remember being stunned he was there for us to take in the draft.

TDToomer

Hasn't he been out of the league for a few years now?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Uni

Patrick Peterson and Prince were top ten locks at CB, when he was around in the 20's, I was thrilled at the pick. Just never lived up to expectation. Definitely not in the same class as Peterson

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

madbadger

Why? He was never a top player for the Giants so why extend him the courtesy usually reserved for long time Giants whose career ended elsewhere. To me ha was nothing more than a JAG.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on August 24, 2023, 06:43:22 PMWhy? He was never a top player for the Giants so why extend him the courtesy usually reserved for long time Giants whose career ended elsewhere. To me ha was nothing more than a JAG.

Sorry, I am confused; maybe I missed something.

Isn't this just Prince announcing his official retirement? Is there any official action or acknowledgment by the New York Giants here? What courtesy has been extended exactly? Isn't this just a football player saying he is retiring, or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on August 24, 2023, 06:59:26 PMSorry, I am confused; maybe I missed something.

Isn't this just Prince announcing his official retirement? Is there any official action or acknowledgment by the New York Giants here? What courtesy has been extended exactly? Isn't this just a football player saying he is retiring, or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

They signed him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Giant. Not a big deal but guys with a career like his usually aren't offered that courtesy.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on August 24, 2023, 06:43:22 PMWhy? He was never a top player for the Giants so why extend him the courtesy usually reserved for long time Giants whose career ended elsewhere. To me ha was nothing more than a JAG.

If someone who played more than half their career with the team, what possible reason would they not extend them that courtesy?

Giant Obsession

This shows that "Once a Giant......" is not just a catchy throwaway phrase.

Don't think players all over the NFL and NCAA don't take notice of something like this.

Color this "Damn proud to have been a Giant"
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

T200

I'm happy for him. He spent his first 5 seasons with the Giants. Says a lot that he wants to retire as one.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Dgoodmantrublu

He was a good player and a good man. Why not let him retire a Giant.

killarich

Quote from: madbadger on August 24, 2023, 07:36:33 PMThey signed him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Giant. Not a big deal but guys with a career like his usually aren't offered that courtesy.

Why wouldnt the Giants do it , It is a sign of respect to the franchise if you ask me

True Blue

I don't understand why it has to be an earned courtesy, he spent half a decade here

President Rick

you just don't hear this kind of thing with other teams [having lived in many nfl markets] all that often.  you do with the Giants.  IMO it does mean something to be a Giant, and it clearly shows, as men wish to retire as Giants. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

TDToomer

I can't wait for the meltdown when OBJ retires as a Giants.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs