News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Prince formally retired as a Giant

Started by MightyGiants, August 24, 2023, 03:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on August 24, 2023, 07:36:33 PMThey signed him to a one day contract so he could retire as a Giant. Not a big deal but guys with a career like his usually aren't offered that courtesy.
And they brought back JPP to dump him in a tub of cold water as a final sendoff.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on August 25, 2023, 10:11:05 AMI can't wait for the meltdown when OBJ retires as a Giants.

And heads will explode when Toney does.   =))
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

madbadger

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 24, 2023, 07:47:34 PMIf someone who played more than half their career with the team, what possible reason would they not extend them that courtesy?
Quote from: Giant Obsession on August 24, 2023, 09:24:05 PMThis shows that "Once a Giant......" is not just a catchy throwaway phrase.

Don't think players all over the NFL and NCAA don't take notice of something like this.

Color this "Damn proud to have been a Giant"
Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on August 24, 2023, 11:01:48 PMHe was a good player and a good man. Why not let him retire a Giant.
Quote from: killarich on August 25, 2023, 07:23:07 AMWhy wouldnt the Giants do it , It is a sign of respect to the franchise if you ask me
Quote from: True Blue on August 25, 2023, 08:39:22 AMI don't understand why it has to be an earned courtesy, he spent half a decade here

I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of it than I meant it to be. Typically when a franchise signs a former player to a one day contract so they can retire as a member of that franchise it's usually done for a player that was important of the teams history or a fan favorite. Since Prince doesn't qualify as either I'm curious why Mara felt he merited that couresty when countless former players who played half a decade in NY before finishing their career elsewhere weren't. The Mara's can do anything the want to do. It just struck me as odd.

TDToomer

Lets not forget that Prince played in our last Super Bowl win. That means something to the team.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

madbadger

Quote from: TDToomer on August 25, 2023, 02:20:25 PMLets not forget that Prince played in our last Super Bowl win. That means something to the team.

So did Steve Smith, Fred Robbins, Chase Blackburn, Gibril Wilson, Kevin Boss and William Jospeh. All of whom started, were well liked by the fans, left the Giants to play elsewhere before retiring and none were signed to a one day contract to retire as a Giant.

Trench

This allows him the opportunity to show up on Sundays, training camp and perhaps even a job with the organization in the future. He is a Super Bowl champion and a good guy and that means something around here.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 02:34:44 PMSo did Steve Smith, Fred Robbins, Chase Blackburn, Gibril Wilson, Kevin Boss and William Jospeh. All of whom started, were well liked by the fans, left the Giants to play elsewhere before retiring and none were signed to a one day contract to retire as a Giant.

It's not like the Giants can force the players to do this. It's at the request of the player. Prince wanted it; the others apparently didn't.

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 02:18:55 PMI think you guys are making a bigger deal out of it than I meant it to be. Typically when a franchise signs a former player to a one day contract so they can retire as a member of that franchise it's usually done for a player that was important of the teams history or a fan favorite. Since Prince doesn't qualify as either I'm curious why Mara felt he merited that couresty when countless former players who played half a decade in NY before finishing their career elsewhere weren't. The Mara's can do anything the want to do. It just struck me as odd.

Again, this is something that is initiated by the player. It's not like the Maras snubbed the other guys.

madbadger

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 25, 2023, 02:49:29 PMIt's not like the Giants can force the players to do this. It's at the request of the player. Prince wanted it; the others apparently didn't.

Again, this is something that is initiated by the player. It's not like the Maras snubbed the other guys.

You're assuming facts not in evidence. Please point out where the Giants have a rule where player has to request it.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 04:19:12 PMYou're assuming facts not in evidence. Please point out where the Giants have a rule where player has to request it.

It's common sense that an organization can't force a player to sign a contract with them. Are you really arguing otherwise?

And it's common knowledge that players request this.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you clearly have a misunderstanding of this process. You even posted a collection of everyone else in the thread disagreeing with you.

madbadger

Quote from: Stringer Bell on August 25, 2023, 04:31:43 PMIt's common sense that an organization can't force a player to sign a contract with them. Are you really arguing otherwise?

And it's common knowledge that players request this.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you clearly have a misunderstanding of this process. You even posted a collection of everyone else in the thread disagreeing with you.

So your saying that when a former Giant retires the Mara family never ever reaches out to the players agent to ask if he wants to retire as a Giant?

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 04:37:55 PMSo your saying that when a former Giant retires the Mara family never ever reaches out to the players agent to ask if he wants to retire as a Giant?

I've never once heard of that happening, no. It's clear we disagree so let's just leave it at that.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 02:18:55 PMI think you guys are making a bigger deal out of it than I meant it to be. Typically when a franchise signs a former player to a one day contract so they can retire as a member of that franchise it's usually done for a player that was important of the teams history or a fan favorite. Since Prince doesn't qualify as either I'm curious why Mara felt he merited that couresty when countless former players who played half a decade in NY before finishing their career elsewhere weren't. The Mara's can do anything the want to do. It just struck me as odd.

Maybe it is not a big deal to most players so they don't ask, because I'd bet this was initiated by Prince.  Do we know if other players have asked and been turned down by the Maras?  And of course the Maras can do whatever they want to do.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: madbadger on August 25, 2023, 04:37:55 PMSo your saying that when a former Giant retires the Mara family never ever reaches out to the players agent to ask if he wants to retire as a Giant?

Holy crap did Amakamura kick your dog? Clearly you hate him and you are now just beating dead horse and making a mountain out of a molehil.   :surrender:
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Dgoodmantrublu

This just seems to be a weird thing to argue so much about.

kartanoman

Any opportunity a player has, who started his career with the Giants, to sign a one-day contract to retire a Giant speaks nothing but compliments to one of the classiest football organizations in the NFL. What an honor for Prince to welcomed home as he officially wraps up his playing career. Also, how proud the Giants' organization must be that one they selected from the college ranks thought enough of his playing days with the Giants that he wanted to do this.

I see nothing but goodness and "Once a Giant, Always a Giant" in action here for all to see.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)