News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some interesting comments from Isaiah Hodgins

Started by MightyGiants, September 10, 2023, 09:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteHow does a wide receiver who runs a 4.61-second 40-yard dash get open against NFL cornerbacks? For Hodgins, it's all about the finer points of route running.

"I'm loose with the wiggle at the top of the route," Hodgins said. "Corners are some of the fastest people on the field. You're not going to be able to just outrun them all the time. There's going to be times where it's like, 'OK, now I've got to craft and use my footwork and my hips and my head and shoulders and wiggle off of it.'"

Quote"In the red zone, you can't really use speed unless you're just running a shallow across the field," Hodgins said. "You can only go so far, so you have to be able to wiggle a little bit and be loose to shake a defender off of you. That's when some of those whip routes and those double moves have come in."

Quote"Games and practices are so different," Hodgins said. "In practices, a lot of stuff is scripted like, 'We want this person to do this.' You can control that. ... I had so many touchdowns last year that I literally didn't catch one time throughout practices. It was just that Daniel read it out, it played out like this, the defense did this, and that's how it happened."

https://theathletic.com/4846669/2023/09/09/new-york-giants-nfl-season-jalin-hyatt/

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

The last of those is the "secret" (not making a comparison, but think Brady/Gronk for example).

There are pairs (QB/WR) who are simply on the same wave-length and see the game the same way.

That type of connection is rare, and it mystifies even the most knowledgeable football people.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Slugsy-Narrows

Hodgins other good point is that it's how a WR sells his route!

WRs that can sell breaking one way and force a DB to lean one way while they break another is important especially if you don't have that top end speed!  The wiggle as he called it.

He is using head and feet to fake out DBs!  That is where the separation of a good or great route runner comes in.

Playing soccer coaches used to teach us watch the hips, a player can move their head and feet and do crazy things with the ball but where the hips go the player must.  Not sure if that works in football when you also have to watch for the football and other players

Bob In PA

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on September 10, 2023, 10:18:48 AMPlaying soccer coaches used to teach us watch the hips, a player can move their head and feet and do crazy things with the ball but where the hips go the player must.  Not sure if that works in football when you also have to watch for the football and other players
Slugs: Same for basketball. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GMenRF

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on September 10, 2023, 10:18:48 AMHodgins other good point is that it's how a WR sells his route!

WRs that can sell breaking one way and force a DB to lean one way while they break another is important especially if you don't have that top end speed!  The wiggle as he called it.

He is using head and feet to fake out DBs!  That is where the separation of a good or great route runner comes in.

Playing soccer coaches used to teach us watch the hips, a player can move their head and feet and do crazy things with the ball but where the hips go the player must.  Not sure if that works in football when you also have to watch for the football and other players

Like the song right - Hips don't lie  :D

Ed Vette

So now we Boogie and Wiggle. Whatever works. His best asset is finding the soft spot in Zone Coverage.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

RelaxTension

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on September 10, 2023, 10:18:48 AMHodgins other good point is that it's how a WR sells his route!

I read an article on Tyrek Hill and he explains that he knows CBs are coached to look at the hips so he waits as long as possible before he shifts his on his cuts. I always thought he ran funny but after this article I understood why he looked different.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..