News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- DJ's interception to Waller may not have been his fault -

Started by sxdxca38, September 16, 2023, 09:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

I'm not absolving DJ of his last game, but when he got picked off throwing it to Waller, Waller stopped coming back to the ball and allowed the DB to jump in front and pick the pass off.

You can see that for yourself at the 3:23 time mark.

Also, I believe because of the heavy rains it affected DJ's overall accuracy and why he missed an easy throw to Campbell on a rollout.

In any event you can see this all for yourself in the video below.

And hopefully he and the Giants have a better game tomorrow, enjoy.

Trench

Maybe true, but Jones stunk up the joint last week. Real bad.

MightyGiants

I had not noticed Waller stopping on his comeback toward Jones on the second interception.   Very interesting, had he not stopped there was a first down or at least not an INT
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

This falls in line with nothing ever being Jones's fault discussion.  It's almost become a blind defense of him any time he does something wrong.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 08:53:52 AMI had not noticed Waller stopping on his comeback toward Jones on the second interception.   Very interesting, had he not stopped there was a first down or at least not an INT

Exactly, none of us could see that on the tv broadcast, but this new perspective makes sense as to why he threw it and to why it shouldn't have been picked off.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 17, 2023, 09:50:55 AMThis falls in line with nothing ever being Jones's fault discussion.  It's almost become a blind defense of him any time he does something wrong.

Hi,

Sadly, that is not what is being said, we are just talking about one play here, as I brought out it doesn't absolve DJ of his last game. So according to the video, I do have a few questions though, and it is up to you if you would like to answer them or not, but...

A) When DJ threw the ball was Waller open at that time?
B) Did Waller stop coming back to the football?
C) If Waller continued to come back to the ball would that have stopped the ball from being intercepted?

Just curious your thoughts here?

kingm56

Quote from: sxdxca38 on September 17, 2023, 10:21:18 AMHi,

Sadly, that is not what is being said, we are just talking about one play here, as I brought out it doesn't absolve DJ of his last game. So according to the video, I do have a few questions though, and it is up to you if you would like to answer them or not, but...

A) When DJ threw the ball was Waller open at that time?
B) Did Waller stop coming back to the football?
C) If Waller continued to come back to the ball would that have stopped the ball from being intercepted?

Just curious your thoughts here?

It's time to move on from last week; honestly, this is one play.  DJ is a veteran, there's no need to focus on a single play, when we have 56 games to evaluate his play...

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 17, 2023, 09:50:55 AMThis falls in line with nothing ever being Jones's fault discussion.  It's almost become a blind defense of him any time he does something wrong.

Greg and @DaveBrown74

1) Football 101, when your QB is in trouble, you break off your route and make it back to the QB to give him the best chance of getting rid of the ball prior to being sacked, run out of bounds, or having to throw it out of bounds

2) The video clearly shows Waller inexplicably stopping his run back to the QB

3) On the video of the Giants' position coaches, one of the coaches (I think the QB coach) acknowledged Waller's role in the INT

So, if anyone acknowledges those facts, you accuse them of

QuoteThis falls in line with nothing ever being Jones's fault discussion

Do you think this sort of post is what triggered @Bigmoose to post his rant?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 10:59:37 AMGreg and @DaveBrown74

1) Football 101, when your QB is in trouble, you break off your route and make it back to the QB to give him the best chance of getting rid of the ball prior to being sacked, run out of bounds, or having to throw it out of bounds

2) The video clearly shows Jones inexplicably stopping his run back to the QB

3) On the video of the Giants' position coaches, one of the coaches (I think the QB coach) acknowledged Waller's role in the INT

So, if anyone acknowledges those facts, you accuse them of

Do you think this sort of post is what triggered @Bigmoose to post his rant?

MG,

Can you explain why you are addressing me in this post and giving me a "Football 101" lecture about this particular play?

Jclayton92

Who cares about 1 Int, Jones last two games have been horrible. Things can only get better from here.

135 yards 1 Int 53 passer rating
104 yards 2 Int 32.4 passer rating

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 17, 2023, 11:01:45 AMMG,

Can you explain why you are addressing me in this post and giving me a "Football 101" lecture about this particular play?

Didn't you endorse Rambo's post via a like?

Also, please explain how a bullet point becomes a "lecture"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on September 17, 2023, 11:05:06 AMWho cares about 1 Int, Jones last two games have been horrible. Things can only get better from here.

135 yards 1 Int 53 passer rating
104 yards 2 Int 32.4 passer rating

To answer your question, I do.  I speak for myself, but getting it right matters to me.   I had mistakenly blamed that INT completely on Daniel Jones, and now that I have learned I was wrong, I am willing to acknowledge it.   It's more important to get it right than be right.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 11:09:05 AMTo answer your question, I do.  I speak for myself, but getting it right matters to me.   I had mistakenly blamed that INT completely on Daniel Jones, and now that I have learned I was wrong, I am willing to acknowledge it.   It's more important to get it right than be right.
I didn't see anywhere, that anyone was upset about this one interception. If anything people didn't even notice the int in the grand scheme of how horrible the game was. When everyone was as horrible as we have been the past two games, I'm not sure the one int matters but I guess if you're keeping score at home, Sure.

jgrangers2

The issue is that, once he pumped, Waller shuts it down (likely assuming Jones is just going to run out of bounds) and Gilmore is able to get his body around to undercut the throw. If Jones makes the throw initially, it's probable a first down with Gilmore having no chance to make a play on the ball.

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2023, 11:09:05 AMTo answer your question, I do.  I speak for myself, but getting it right matters to me.  I had mistakenly blamed that INT completely on Daniel Jones, and now that I have learned I was wrong, I am willing to acknowledge it.  It's more important to get it right than be right.

Mighty,

This is one of the best comments I've seen from you, and here is the reason why. You were humble enough to admit when you were wrong, and when new information was presented to you, you wanted to get it right and changed your viewpoint, I admire that.

Just like you, when I saw the interception from my television, I blamed it on DJ. But after watching the full play, he wasn't in the wrong, it was Waller who failed to continue to come back to the ball. If he does that there is no int.

So just like you I originally got it wrong, and have now changed and realized that pick was not on DJ but instead on Waller. Good comments here once again.