News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is anyone else tired

Started by andrew_nyGiants, September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Of waiting for this team to consistently play at full strength so that they can actually develop and improve?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that injuries are part of the game and in the past several years it's become more prevalent based on the size and speed of players today.

But can we catch a little bit of a break and have our key contributors spared?!

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Teams are missing starters all around the league. To have literally all 22 starters healthy is not the base case around the league. Good teams can weather injuries by having depth on their roster.

And I would say most teams' head trainer isn't a guy who cut his teeth as a trainer in the 1970s.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 30, 2023, 12:32:45 PMTeams are missing starters all around the league. To have literally all 22 starters healthy is not the base case around the league. Good teams can weather injuries by having depth on their roster.

And I would say most teams' head trainer isn't a guy who cut his teeth as a trainer in the 1970s.
I didn't say starters and I'm clear that everyone has injuries, I was venting about losing "key contributors"

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 30, 2023, 12:35:35 PMI didn't say starters and I'm clear that everyone has injuries, I was venting about losing "key contributors"

Fair enough, I understand it's frustrating. Look at teams like the Jets and Browns though.

Also Barkley always gets injured. I appreciate he made it through last year unscathed, but that is the exception not the norm. Anyone who just assumes he's going to play a full 17 game season with no issues is ignoring the obvious trend. And the fact that we're so dependent on one single RB rather than having a committee like smart teams do is on us. It's not bad luck. It's just plain bad roster-building.

Rambo89

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 30, 2023, 12:32:45 PMTeams are missing starters all around the league. To have literally all 22 starters healthy is not the base case around the league. Good teams can weather injuries by having depth on their roster.

Pretty much most teams are missing contributors throughout the season.  It can't be an excuse or the reasons the Giants don't win.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PMOf waiting for this team to consistently play at full strength so that they can actually develop and improve?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that injuries are part of the game and in the past several years it's become more prevalent based on the size and speed of players today.

Until the Giants are willing to transform from a mom and pop operation to one of accountability, I don't see things changing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PMOf waiting for this team to consistently play at full strength so that they can actually develop and improve?

Im guessing here but it seems the Strength Coach is sub-par and does not empasize flexing and stretching

Parcells brought in Johnny Parker who had studied in the Soviet Union how to build both srenght and flexibility

We need another Johnny Parker, and perhaps a change of playing surface....

Im guessing here but it seems the Strength Coach is sub-par and does not empasize flexing and stretching

Parcells brought in Johnny Parker who had studied in the Soviet Union how to build both srenght and flexibility

We need another Johnny Parker, and perhaps a change of playing surface....

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Topshelf21

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 30, 2023, 12:48:01 PMAlso Barkley always gets injured. I appreciate he made it through last year unscathed, but that is the exception not the norm. Anyone who just assumes he's going to play a full 17 game season with no issues is ignoring the obvious trend. And the fact that we're so dependent on one single RB rather than having a committee like smart teams do is on us. It's not bad luck. It's just plain bad roster-building.

Completely agree. Cannot sign him to a large, multi-year contract...utter nail in the coffin for Schoen and Daboll.

When is the trade deadline? At what record (if he's healthy), do you consider parting ways to receive some sort of equity for him to a contending team?

I would think it's a definite possibility barring his often-injured status and the date of the trade deadline

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Topshelf21 on September 30, 2023, 04:14:52 PMCompletely agree. Cannot sign him to a large, multi-year contract...utter nail in the coffin for Schoen and Daboll.

When is the trade deadline? At what record (if he's healthy), do you consider parting ways to receive some sort of equity for him to a contending team?

I would think it's a definite possibility barring his often-injured status and the date of the trade deadline

I'd listen regardless of the record.

Jaime

On another Tread a few weeks ago, I called Barkley injury prone. There was some strong push back. The majority of the pushback was he's unlucky, not injury prone, it's the position he plays, he's not injury prone, and so forth.
And all you Barkley fans that want to hang your hat on him playing all 17 games last season, I recall a nagging shoulder injury that limited him for four or five games (?).

Had GM JS caved in and given Barkley that long term deal he was yapping about, I suspect there would have been a lynch mob awaiting as he left the building.
As for our bulletproof Trainer Rohnnie Barnes, Rich and myself have spoken about this long in the tooth guy many times. He's a real problem for us, and has been since forever. If I'm not mistaken, our former Strength and Conditioning Coach was Wellman. He left us to return to his alma matre. What a loss that was for us. His mantra was, training each leg individually. Hence, usually,  a leg injury occurs when one leg is planted, while the other leg is  non-weight bearing.
He also cross-trained playing other positions and utilized balance regimens. He would arrive every day at five a.m.

Yes Andrew , I am  tired as well.

GloryDays

Injuries happen, but some teams look for less injury prone players than the Giants seem to. Also, lack of preparation and quality depth, specially at Oline is the real problem.

JT39

Injuries are most definitely an excuse for why a team can't win. This notion "every team has them" is just a cliche saying that fans use to boost an opinion.

The jets season is over due to injuries.
The ravens last two season ended because of injuries.
How did the Rams do last year with all their injuries?

When your two best players on offense are out - you are going to struggle and probably not look good. It's the nature of the beast.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 07:50:17 AMInjuries are most definitely an excuse for why a team can't win. This notion "every team has them" is just a cliche saying that fans use to boost an opinion.

The jets season is over due to injuries.
The ravens last two season ended because of injuries.
How did the Rams do last year with all their injuries?

When your two best players on offense are out - you are going to struggle and probably not look good. It's the nature of the beast.

There's a difference between losing a key RB, WR, pass rusher, corner back, etc. and missing a QB because usually the drop off from Starter to Back Up is the greatest at QB.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 01, 2023, 08:47:39 AMThere's a difference between losing a key RB, WR, pass rusher, corner back, etc. and missing a QB because usually the drop off from Starter to Back Up is the greatest at QB.

So when a team loses its two best players on offense - we should ignore it as factors.

I mean come on. We are being ridiculous now. When you have very little talent to begin with and lose two great players - the offense is going to suffer.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 08:57:25 AMSo when a team loses its two best players on offense - we should ignore it as factors.

I mean come on. We are being ridiculous now. When you have very little talent to begin with and lose two great players - the offense is going to suffer.

Point is it's not a factor that most teams don't deal with throughout the season.  Losing a starting QB for an extended period of time is more devastating than a Left Tackle and RB.  That's not to downplay it being a loss but it's not something that ends the season or at least it shouldn't.