News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is anyone else tired

Started by andrew_nyGiants, September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umassgrad

Both Thomas and Barkley injuries have nothing to do with the strength coach. Overall we are in pretty good shape injury wise. Time for Wink's D to keep us in the game.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 01, 2023, 09:00:09 AMPoint is it's not a factor that most teams don't deal with throughout the season.  Losing a starting QB for an extended period of time is more devastating than a Left Tackle and RB.  That's not to downplay it being a loss but it's not something that ends the season or at least it shouldn't.

Yes it does. When you lose great players for extended time - teams are affected. How about when the chiefs lost two OL prior to the SB against TB - how did the chiefs offense look?

QB get all the notoriety because of the position - but when units get decimated it has a huge impact.

I think some are just looking for reason to blame Jones if the offense struggles again with bottom of the league talent surrounding him.

katkavage

The NFL is the survival of the fittest. End of story. Everyone deals with it.

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PMOf waiting for this team to consistently play at full strength so that they can actually develop and improve?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that injuries are part of the game and in the past several years it's become more prevalent based on the size and speed of players today.

But can we catch a little bit of a break and have our key contributors spared?!

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.
Andrew: I'm right there with you but the worst part is the inevitable injuries are to our best players.

Let's say we currently have three of the top 100 players in the NFL. That would be about the average number. 

We play 2 games and we're down TWO of best three. That makes it real tough for a team to continue to rise.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 07:50:17 AMInjuries are most definitely an excuse for why a team can't win. This notion "every team has them" is just a cliche saying that fans use to boost an opinion.

It's not a cliche - it's a flat out fact. You clearly don't look at injury reports around the league every week. If you do, then you're either consciously or unconsciously blocking out reality. Just about every team in the league is dealing with, or has had to deal with, multiple injuries to key players on their team at the same time. The Giants are not unique in this regard. To suggest that we are snake-bit because we have two players out and everyone else is better off is myopic and simply misinformed.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 01, 2023, 09:51:40 AMIt's not a cliche - it's a flat out fact. You clearly don't look at injury reports around the league every week. If you do, then you're either consciously or unconsciously blocking out reality. Just about every team in the league is dealing with, or has had to deal with, multiple injuries to key players on their team at the same time. The Giants are not unique in this regard. To suggest that we are snake-bit because we have two players out and everyone else is better off is myopic and simply misinformed.

So which team consistently win at a high level with injuries to their best players?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 11:31:14 AMSo which team consistently win at a high level with injuries to their best players?

Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup QB recently. The Pats beat the Falcons in a Super Bowl without first ballot Hall of Fame TE Rob Gronkowski. I don't know how much more "high level" it gets than winning super bowls. And I don't know how much more important injuries can get than injuries like those.

And those are just two quick examples that popped into my mind without spending more than a few seconds thinking about it. Am I saying injuries don't matter? Of course I'm not saying that. I never said any such thing. My point is just that to act like the Giants are the only team that has to deal with them or that other teams that have them never win is flat out false. I mean obviously believe whatever you want, but the facts on the ground tell a different story.

Are we dealing with injuries to key players right now? Yes. Does it matter? Yes. Do most other teams go through the same thing all the time? Yes. Do some still win anyway? Yes.

JT39

When we have a SB contending team where we can afford to lose our two best players - come talk to me.

When you have a below average team and lose your two best players - the impact is much greater.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 11:48:00 AMWhen we have a SB contending team where we can afford to lose our two best players - come talk to me.

When you have a below average team and lose your two best players - the impact is much greater.

Ok, now this post I do agree with. Good teams are built to be able to manage injuries and still be competitive in spite of them. Bad teams can't deal with them. I agree there. But the part you're leaving out is that when you're a bad team, you're bad whether you're 100% healthy or only 90% healthy.

So in the end it doesn't make that much of a difference, unless you are up at night worrying about whether we're going to be a 7-10 team or a 5-12 team.

LennG

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on September 30, 2023, 12:28:32 PMOf waiting for this team to consistently play at full strength so that they can actually develop and improve?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that injuries are part of the game and in the past several years it's become more prevalent based on the size and speed of players today.

But can we catch a little bit of a break and have our key contributors spared?!

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear you Andrew, but you are not singing to just the choir, we all feel your pain. Every time play is stopped for an injury and I see it is a Giant, I say a quick prayer it isn't one of the 'main' guys. No one wants to see any player hurt, but if there has to be one, maybe it could be some guy who rarely sees the field instead of an 'impact' guy. This team is so devoid of those 'impact' players, to lose any of them really hurts, and this has been our pattern for way too long.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 09:04:29 AMYes it does. When you lose great players for extended time - teams are affected. How about when the chiefs lost two OL prior to the SB against TB - how did the chiefs offense look?

QB get all the notoriety because of the position - but when units get decimated it has a huge impact.

I think some are just looking for reason to blame Jones if the offense struggles again with bottom of the league talent surrounding him.

The Chargers have been playing without Ekeler who is their best play maker it hasn't stopped Herbert from being productive and that's with a bad offensive line.  If Jones and the offense need everything around him to be perfect then he's not the guy.  The Giants need him to step up in these situations.  Though I don't think he's the guy long term there is no reason why IMO with his ability that he shouldn't be able to be productive tomorrow night.  There is still enough around him to get the job done.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Philosophers

No team is a deep playoff team unless it has tremendous depth.  None.  Giants not only dont have enough starting talent but they are woeful at depth.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 01, 2023, 12:30:27 PMThe Chargers have been playing without Ekeler who is their best play maker it hasn't stopped Herbert from being productive and that's with a bad offensive line.  If Jones and the offense need everything around him to be perfect then he's not the guy.  The Giants need him to step up in these situations.  Though I don't think he's the guy long term there is no reason why IMO with his ability that he shouldn't be able to be productive tomorrow night.  There is still enough around him to get the job done.

Chargers have great weapons that blow ours away. It's not even close.

You really overrated our skilled players. And last time I checked the chargers have 1 win.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 01:58:51 PMChargers have great weapons that blow ours away. It's not even close.

You really overrated our skilled players. And last time I checked the chargers have 1 win.

Yet their QB's numbers blow away Jones's numbers.  Difference between an average QB and an elite one.  Watch Herbert play and tell me whether you think Jones is as good as he is.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: JT39 on October 01, 2023, 01:58:51 PMChargers have great weapons that blow ours away. It's not even close.

You continue to move the goal post; first, it was NO team/QB could be successful without thier star offensive players. When you were proven incorrect, you simply changed the narrative....