News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

These things I think before the must win game against the Seahawks

Started by MightyGiants, October 02, 2023, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I am hoping like hell that the Giants will make me look foolish for doubting them.

1) I am really really really tired of talking about the offensive line.   Seems like that has been a main topic of conversation for Giants fans (as in talking about the need to get better) for well over a decade.

2) It seems like the players are more into playing ping-pong than winning football games.   This may seem petty, but it really irks me when I listen to player interviews (like the ones with Art Stapleton) and you can hear the players whooping it up playing ping pong.  I just wish they put as much energy into winning football games as they do their ping-pong matches.

3) Has Daboll fallen off the player-friendly coach tightrope?  Player-friendly coaches are always challenged with the need to balance their friendliness with the players and their need to hold the players accountable.  Has 1925 Giants Way become a country club for well-paid (some might say overpaid) NFL players?

4) How many more games are the Giants going to lose because of injury before they fire Ronnie Barnes?  You don't spend a decade at the top of the injury list and not address the VP of those services.  How does Thomas go from we are holding him out of the 49ers game to be safe, to is week to week because he suffered a serious setback at a position that doesn't stress the hamstring?

5) Are the 11 picks in the 2022 draft (2 in the top 10 and 5 in the top 100) ever going to contribute to a Giants win?

6) I so wanted to believe the Giants were headed in the right direction after the playoff victory last season.   Now I am beginning to have my doubts and wonder if it was just wishful thinking of a desperate fan wanting to end a decade of futility.

NY Giants, I know you are handicapped by missing 2 of your top offensive players, but now is the time to prove me wrong for not having faith.  If you don't it's an easy path to 5 and 1.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Don't want to hear any excuses even with the injuries the Giants still have enough talent to win this game IMO.  Plus with 11 days off they've had enough time to practice and game plan for the back ups who will be playing in place of the injured to be ready for bigger roles.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 08:59:07 AMDon't want to hear any excuses even with the injuries the Giants still have enough talent to win this game IMO.  Plus with 11 days off they've had enough time to practice and game plan for the back ups who will be playing in place of the injured to be ready for bigger roles.

I dont know how you can say we are still talented enough to win? Where do we have an advantage? Their offense is much better than ours. Their secondary is getting two starters back.

Yeah, their pass rush isnt good - but is ours? And right now, id take their coaching staff over ours too.

We have two advantages tonight - more rest (which means little since we cant get guys on the field) and we are home. But talent wise - we are still pretty far behind them.

T200

My concerns for this game are:

1) Coaching: can Dab/Ka call a good offensive game plan to open running lanes, protect Jones, and open up the downfield passing attack? Having 11 days to prepare for a team that has to travel across the country is a big plus. If they lose this game, I don't think I can look at this coaching staff in the same light as last season.

2) Defense: will they punch some Chawks in the mouth? Can they slow down Metcalf and Lockett?

3) Execution: can the players play like they are professional athletes? Do they have the heart to dig down and make plays when they need to?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 09:42:18 AMI dont know how you can say we are still talented enough to win? Where do we have an advantage? Their offense is much better than ours. Their secondary is getting two starters back.

Yeah, their pass rush isnt good - but is ours? And right now, id take their coaching staff over ours too.

We have two advantages tonight - more rest (which means little since we cant get guys on the field) and we are home. But talent wise - we are still pretty far behind them.

We could have/should have beaten them in their own building last year had we not had those two flukey special teams turnovers. I don't think there is a huge gap between the two teams. Both were playoff teams last year that were pretenders, and we net added talent in the offseason.

I'm not saying we're clearly better or that we'll clearly win, but there isn't anywhere near the gap between us and them that there was with say the 49ers. And we had that as a one score game in the fourth quarter in their building on four days rest as the visitor.

JT39

Quote from: T200 on October 02, 2023, 09:45:07 AMMy concerns for this game are:

1) Coaching: can Dab/Ka call a good offensive game plan to open running lanes, protect Jones, and open up the downfield passing attack? Having 11 days to prepare for a team that has to travel across the country is a big plus. If they lose this game, I don't think I can look at this coaching staff in the same light as last season.

2) Defense: will they punch some Chawks in the mouth? Can they slow down Metcalf and Lockett?

3) Execution: can the players play like they are professional athletes? Do they have the heart to dig down and make plays when they need to?

If we cant get pressure and sack Smith a few times tonight without their starting tackles - you are looking at an extremely long season. Its time for a Thibs game.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 02, 2023, 09:45:29 AMWe could have/should have beaten them in their own building last year had we not had those two flukey special teams turnovers. I don't think there is a huge gap between the two teams. Both were playoff teams last year that were pretenders, and we net added talent in the offseason.

I'm not saying we're clearly better or that we'll clearly win, but there isn't anywhere near the gap between us and them that there was with say the 49ers. And we had that as a one score game in the fourth quarter in their building on four days rest as the visitor.

I agree that Seattles isnt in Dallas or SF league, if we can pressure Smith we have a chance and there should be no excuses with them missing Cross/Lucas, and possibly Brown. If we cant get pressure tonight, it may be a very very long year for the defense.

T200

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 09:46:21 AMIf we cant get pressure and sack Smith a few times tonight without their starting tackles - you are looking at an extremely long season. Its time for a Thibs game.
I don't see how not getting pressure in one game affects the rest of the season. Injuries? Sure. But performance from week to week varies, as we all know.

It's about individual matchups and being able to win them. So far, to your point, Thibs has been on the losing end.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 09:47:40 AMI agree that Seattles isnt in Dallas or SF league, if we can pressure Smith we have a chance and there should be no excuses with them missing Cross/Lucas, and possibly Brown. If we cant get pressure tonight, it may be a very very long year for the defense.

I think that's a fair statement. Our D has been a disaster, no doubt about that.

DragonSoul

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 08:55:35 AMI am hoping like hell that the Giants will make me look foolish for doubting them.

1) I am really really really tired of talking about the offensive line.   Seems like that has been a main topic of conversation for Giants fans (as in talking about the need to get better) for well over a decade.

2) It seems like the players are more into playing ping-pong than winning football games.   This may seem petty, but it really irks me when I listen to player interviews (like the ones with Art Stapleton) and you can hear the players whooping it up playing ping pong.  I just wish they put as much energy into winning football games as they do their ping-pong matches.

3) Has Daboll fallen off the player-friendly coach tightrope?  Player-friendly coaches are always challenged with the need to balance their friendliness with the players and their need to hold the players accountable.  Has 1925 Giants Way become a country club for well-paid (some might say overpaid) NFL players?

4) How many more games are the Giants going to lose because of injury before they fire Ronnie Barnes?  You don't spend a decade at the top of the injury list and not address the VP of those services.  How does Thomas go from we are holding him out of the 49ers game to be safe, to is week to week because he suffered a serious setback at a position that doesn't stress the hamstring?

5) Are the 11 picks in the 2022 draft (2 in the top 10 and 5 in the top 100) ever going to contribute to a Giants win?

6) I so wanted to believe the Giants were headed in the right direction after the playoff victory last season.   Now I am beginning to have my doubts and wonder if it was just wishful thinking of a desperate fan wanting to end a decade of futility.

NY Giants, I know you are handicapped by missing 2 of your top offensive players, but now is the time to prove me wrong for not having faith.  If you don't it's an easy path to 5 and 1.

1. The oline has been an issue starting with their last SB win. You started to see the cracks then, disgusting.

2. I mentioned barnes for years, on the old Giants forum. I don't get it.

3. The picks as I've said b4, need time and with KT & what wink is asking of him can also affect him, but he can do better and same with EN who hasn't yet played a full season.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 09:42:18 AMI dont know how you can say we are still talented enough to win? Where do we have an advantage? Their offense is much better than ours. Their secondary is getting two starters back.

Giants passing game should be able to move the ball downfield against the weakness of the Seattle defense.  I think the Giants defenses time to break out with a good pass rush comes tonight.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 11:35:26 AMGiants passing game should be able to move the ball downfield against the weakness of the Seattle defense.  I think the Giants defenses time to break out with a good pass rush comes tonight.

Hoping you are right.

4 Aces

Good read MightyGiants.

The first 3 games took the wind out of my sails. I hate rationalizing football. The expectations were this team was going to close the gap on PHI and DAL and improve on last year's performance level. I respect Daboll and Wink especially, but the country club points are well taken. Bisignano referred to this on a podcast during camp - how the Giants were taken aback by DET's intensity level and approach to the practices, how meetings start later in the day/end earlier than lots of programs he's seen. It's nice that Schoen & Daboll like to be buds with everyone but Management 101 is don't act like your casual friends with the people you're managing. 

I'm in show me mode. I'm no longer talking about this team being good in any fashion. For me, it was all about "closing the gap" and it doesn't appear any progress has been made. OTOH, if the Giants have a bad record but end up playing DAL and PHI tight at the end of the year, I still may take that as a win.

EDjohnst1981

These fringe wildcard teams are the teams the Giants simply have to beat if they want any success these season.

I'm expecting Jones to air it out and have a lot of success against a mediocre pass rush.

Watch for Wan'dale and Hyatt to have success in gadget play situations.

The D needs to wake up and have a statement game.

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 11:35:26 AMGiants passing game should be able to move the ball downfield against the weakness of the Seattle defense.  I think the Giants defenses time to break out with a good pass rush comes tonight.

The Seahawks secondary is good.  Their pass rush is subpar however the Giants OL is swiss cheese so they may get sacks and consistent pressure.