News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

These things I think before the must win game against the Seahawks

Started by MightyGiants, October 02, 2023, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 01:49:18 PMIt's been suggested that Giants fans are biased.  Wouldn't it make sense to seek out outside sources?  I have heard a few people claim that the Panthers are less talented, but from what PFF shows, that doesn't appear to be the case. 

If you want to go the factual route, the Panters are better than the Giants in:

Points per game
Yards per game
Passing yards per game
Running yards per game

Everyone has their own biases including PFF.  As for the factual route the results are not the argument here it's an opinion based upon the talent on both rosters.  It's not who has been better but who has more ability.  IMO the Giants have more ability especially with a 5th year QB in the prime of his career.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 01:50:44 PMUntil I see the O-line block like an NFL-caliber offensive line for more than just one half a game against a non-playoff team, the O-line will always be a concern until proven otherwise.

The offensive line played well in the first half against Arizona.  The rest of the team didn't.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 02:06:52 PMEveryone has their own biases including PFF.  As for the factual route the results are not the argument here it's an opinion based upon the talent on both rosters.  It's not who has been better but who has more ability.  IMO the Giants have more ability especially with a 5th year QB in the prime of his career.

Greg,

I think the issue is that on paper, the Giants have weapons.  Through 3 weeks with the exception of Hyatt (who for some reason isn't allowed to play much), those weapons haven't shown up on the field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 02:20:21 PMGreg,

I think the issue is that on paper, the Giants have weapons.  Through 3 weeks with the exception of Hyatt (who for some reason isn't allowed to play much), those weapons haven't shown up on the field.

We're in agreement.  The Giants have the ability to have a big passing game tonight.  Whether they will is a different story because as you said to this point they haven't shown up.  But my point was that they do have the ability which I believe you agree with.

Trench

JT39

Quote from: Trench on October 02, 2023, 02:49:59 PMJones better carry the team and win tonight. No excuses

So if Jones has over 300 yards and 4 TDs and the Giants lose - its his fault?

I just dont get this line of thinking. One person never wins a football game. If the OL doesnt block and the WRs dont catch the ball - is it still his fault?

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 03:15:12 PMSo if Jones has over 300 yards and 4 TDs and the Giants lose - its his fault?

Nope, in my opinion if Jones did that with no turnovers on his end the Giants almost certainly won the game.  If they didn't there had to be a number of things that had nothing to do with him that went wrong.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 02, 2023, 03:17:22 PMNope, in my opinion if Jones did that with no turnovers on his end the Giants almost certainly won the game.  If they didn't there had to be a number of things that had nothing to do with him that went wrong.

Well thats reasonable. The Giants winning or losing is not contingent on how Jones does. If he plays really well - they will have a good shot. If he stinks - they most likely lose. But there are other factors that will determine whether we win or lose.

Hey, what if we get a couple turnovers or a big special teams play, and one of our backs break a long TD run and Jones is just pedestrian? He doesnt then deserve all the credit either. How about we wait and see who gets credit or discredit for the win or loss instead of putting all on one guy?

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 02, 2023, 03:19:38 PMWell thats reasonable. The Giants winning or losing is not contingent on how Jones does. If he plays really well - they will have a good shot. If he stinks - they most likely lose. But there are other factors that will determine whether we win or lose.

Hey, what if we get a couple turnovers or a big special teams play, and one of our backs break a long TD run and Jones is just pedestrian? He doesnt then deserve all the credit either. How about we wait and see who gets credit or discredit for the win or loss instead of putting all on one guy?

Think we are thinking along the same lines with some variation of disagreement.  All good.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 02, 2023, 01:50:44 PMUntil I see the O-line block like an NFL-caliber offensive line for more than just one half a game against a non-playoff team, the O-line will always be a concern until proven otherwise.

The O-line was a concern last year, so they got the ball out of Jones' hand quickly. Tonight sets up well for that, which should take the pressure off the O-line. My biggest concern in the pass rush is actually not the D-line of Seattle against the O-line of the Giants. We are about to find out if any of our RBs can pick up a blitz......or not. Jones saved them a few times against Arizona with his legs. They need to do better. If a dope like me can pick up on that during the game you can bet Carroll saw it and has some plans to exploit that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)