News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Downfield Thrower's Mentality

Started by Philosophers, October 04, 2023, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Phil Simms is the epitamy of a QB who for years was under siege, yet had a downfield thrower's mentality.  From 1984 - 1988, he was sacked 55, 52, 45, 35 and 53 times per season, yet his yards per completion was never under 12.8 YPC and was as high as 14.1 YPC.  The retort will be, "yeah but his completion % was only 53% - 57% during those seasons.  Well part of that reason was that he was under siege and threw under duress, HOWEVER, because he constantly looked downfield he forced defenses to play back.  Even if he threw incompletions downfield, the threat of throwing more intermediate/deeper routes forced safeties back.  Keep in mind he played without great WRs like Plax, Nicks and Cruz.  They were adequate/good but certainly not great.

Without the legit threat of having a QB who always looks downfield, the Giants offense is at the mercy of opponent's defense who simply play closer to the LOS and take away short passes.  How many times are we honestly going to see more of 3rd and 10 and a completion for 4 yards?

I love DJ as a person, but he simply lacks a downfield thrower's mentality.  The irony is that I think he might be the most accurate long ball throwing Giants QB in my lifetime but it is meaningless if he is not looking there.

We need that mentality from our QB and if it is not DJ, it needs to be somebody else.

Ed Vette

The crazy thing is he was that guy his rookie season. So is it an either-or? Live with the turnovers or quick short passes? I think once he's programmed, he's like a robot.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Last season DJ was sacked 44 times and had a YPC of only 10.1.  This season, he has been sacked 22 times and has a YPC of 8.5.  Simms' worst YPC during the 1984-1988 stretch was 12.8.  Big difference.  It's a mindset.  DJ may be shell shocked but it simply will not work for an NFL QB.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 04, 2023, 04:56:50 PMThe crazy thing is he was that guy his rookie season. So is it an either-or? Live with the turnovers or quick short passes? I think once he's programmed, he's like a robot.

i think judge ruined him. rumor has it judge would mercilessly berate him any time he missed a throw or threw an int downfield. its gotta have some type of impact on him. his MO early in his career was turnovers, so im sure theres a part of him that says "dont make any type of risky play". you are so right about his rookie year, he was letting it fly. and i cant say our weapons/line was any better at that point. possibly worse. i for one would rather see an int 50 yards downfield than getting bumped out of barkleys hands 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Philosophers on October 04, 2023, 05:33:08 PMLast season DJ was sacked 44 times and had a YPC of only 10.1.  This season, he has been sacked 22 times and has a YPC of 8.5.  Simms' worst YPC during the 1984-1988 stretch was 12.8.  Big difference.  It's a mindset.  DJ may be shell shocked but it simply will not work for an NFL QB.

sad but true. it just sucks cause its (mostly) not his fault, but damaged goods are damaged goods. he will forever be a "what could have been". the giants have now ruined 2 qb's in a row that were either very good at one point, or had all the potential to be.

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 05, 2023, 05:11:39 PMsad but true. it just sucks cause its (mostly) not his fault, but damaged goods are damaged goods. he will forever be a "what could have been". the giants have now ruined 2 qb's in a row that were either very good at one point, or had all the potential to be.

He may have been Jalen Hurts.  His skill set was never good enough to become elite.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18