News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Was Dick Butkus the Lawrence Taylor of his day?

Started by y_so_blu, October 06, 2023, 03:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_so_blu

Please correct me if this is a bad comparison, as Dick played before my time. But when you talk about guys who revolutionized the linebacker position and really took over the game, these are two of the names that come up.

DaveBrown74

LT was an outside linebacker. He happened to be an outstanding run stopper, but he is primarily remembered for the relentless pressure he put on QBs and all of the sacks and tackles for losses that he got.

Butkus was a middle linebacker.. more of a Ray Lewis type role. He wasn't really a sack guy.

nb587

LT revolutionized his position on the outside.  There were great pass rushers before him, for example, Deacon Jones.  But, he played in a 4-3 which was the predominant structure before LT.  I wouldn't say Butkus was a Ray Lewis type.  Butkus was the premier middle LB of his day and he hit like a freight train.  Lewis was far better in pass coverage and I would say was more Butkus light against the run.   During Butkus' time, I can't think of many, or any, big TEs that were great receivers.  It almost seems like a different position.

zephirus

The greatness the Bears have enjoyed at middle linebacker is kind of awe-inspiring. 

Bill George (1952-1965) - Hall of Famer
Dick Butkus (1965-1973) - Hall of Famer
Mike Singletary (1981-1992) - Hall of Famer
Brian Urlacher (2000-2012) - Hall of Famer

Giant Jim

No defensive player I've seen has ever come close to LT, before or since.

files58

The game is missing players that hit like Butkus. I'll take one, and be greedy for two. He hit the way a football player playing defense should hit. He'd be flagged today for tackling the way he normally did. You know what, I would let the referees flag me all the way down the field for the opportunity to intimidate and outright scare the opposition. That's how defense should be played. Guaranteed if the 60's Butkus played today and the iggles tried the push play, and he was anywhere close to Hurts in the pile Hurts would be coming out of the pile not 100%. Frankly that's how you stop the push play, by taking advantage of Hurt's vulnerability. It's a bleep you attitude. Mother Theresa like before and after the game, like a Visigoth sacking Rome during the game.

LennG

Comparing LT to Dick Butkus is like comparing apples and oranges. Yes, they were both tops at their time, but LT was a pass rusher, a speed guy who was strong enough to overcome blockers. Butkus was a pure strength guy who basically dared you to come his way. Butkus played the game the way many of us old-timers remember the way football used to be played. I agree though, that Butkus could never play in today's game, he would be penalized on every play.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

beaugestus

BluesCruz

Butkus was a brute
His objective was to punish the ball carrier in any way possible....to create general mayhem, inflict punishment and seperate the runner from the football- I think he recovered 29 forced fumbles in his 9 year NFL  career

Imagine a bigger more powerful nastier Jack Lambert

Mara once asked why so many players were in the trainers room after a Bears game- the trainer told him they all got Butkused

Contrary to the other post on here I dont remember Butkus as a dirty player just a brute who was always in the right place at the right time

LT was a terrific pass rusher....maybe the best of all time.  And a very fast player.  excellent tackler but not out to legally
harm opponents like Butkus was.  Singletary played like Butkus

Butkus liked to pick up RBs and smash them to the ground...one could call him a bit of a thug

Strangely when you watched Butkus as a Giants fan you found him incredibly entertaining

LT was more of a speed and finesse guy

No comparison betweeen the 2 other than both could dominate a game- Butkus was not going after the QB like LT did
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"