News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Winks misuse of Thibs

Started by madbadger, October 09, 2023, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

What I am about to say is in no way meant to exonerate Thibs for the level of his play thus far in his career, but why in God's name do you draft an OLB fifth overall and then ask him to set the edge on running plays and then drop him into coverage with regularity.

When you're drafting a player that high it's to get a guy who can be disruptive in the backfield. I just don't understand why they wasted the 5th overall just to use him in a manner that is least likely to get the greatest impact out of him.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 09, 2023, 01:37:45 PMWhat I am about to say is in no way meant to exonerate Thibs for the level of his play thus far in his career, but why in God's name do you draft an OLB fifth overall and then ask him to set the edge on running plays and then drop him into coverage with regularity.

When you're drafting a player that high it's to get a guy who can be disruptive in the backfield. I just don't understand why they wasted the 5th overall just to use him in a manner that is least likely to get the greatest impact out of him.

Especially when you now have a speed ILB in Simmons who should be doing that.

However, I see no power or speed to power on Thibs' part.  As of now he looks more like a cleanup sack defender.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 02:11:07 PMEspecially when you now have a speed ILB in Simmons who should be doing that.

However, I see no power or speed to power on Thibs' part.  As of now he looks more like a cleanup sack defender.

I'm inclined to agree but we saw the burst and power at times last year. Is he discontent with his role and it's effecting him mentally, is he thinking too much? I don't really know. He was more disruptive last year than this year even if he ends up with more sacks,

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on October 09, 2023, 02:54:33 PMI'm inclined to agree but we saw the burst and power at times last year. Is he discontent with his role and it's effecting him mentally, is he thinking too much? I don't really know. He was more disruptive last year than this year even if he ends up with more sacks,

What I dont see in him now and last year is an aggressive bull rush move.  He seems to dance.

Contrast that Aida Hutchinson who goes hard right at an OL.  Campbell is even playing him at DT.

LennG

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 03:15:29 PMWhat I dont see in him now and last year is an aggressive bull rush move.  He seems to dance.

Contrast that Aida Hutchinson who goes hard right at an OL.  Campbell is even playing him at DT.

Aida Hutchinson is a stud. Wish he were on my team.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

JT39

Hutchinson is a stud. Should have been the number 1 pick.

I think Wink has him thinking way too much and not going out and playing football. He may never be great against the run - but he can be very good at pass rushing. Just watch him at the snap, he's almost reacting instead of attacking.

Sometimes you gotta take the leash off.

T200

Thibs is a one-trick pony. He has no moves outside of a wide speed rush. He has no power, no spin or swim moves, and he can't break free once a blocker locks on.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

JT39

Quote from: T200 on October 09, 2023, 11:48:40 PMThibs is a one-trick pony. He has no moves outside of a wide speed rush. He has no power, no spin or swim moves, and he can't break free once a blocker locks on.

And he's been our most productive defensive player this year.

We are a bad team lol

T200

Quote from: JT39 on October 10, 2023, 07:48:46 AMAnd he's been our most productive defensive player this year.

We are a bad team lol
Gimme a couple more guys like Simmons and McFadden and I'll be fine without Thibs.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 09, 2023, 11:48:40 PMThibs is a one-trick pony. He has no moves outside of a wide speed rush. He has no power, no spin or swim moves, and he can't break free once a blocker locks on.

One thing I was hoping that KT would work on in the offseason was another pass rush move (or two).   KT can be a great pass rusher if he develops a toolbox of moves that he can employ in a chess match (one of his favorite games) against opposing linemen. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 08:20:27 AMOne thing I was hoping that KT would work on in the offseason was another pass rush move (or two).   KT can be a great pass rusher if he develops a toolbox of moves that he can employ in a chess match (one of his favorite games) against opposing linemen. 
He should have been working in building that instead of his brand.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

I remember prior to the 2022 draft there was the question of whether Thibodeaux would fit Winks system.  Maybe it is a case of him not fitting the system.  And it maybe why Wink is replaced after the system and a coordinator whose system fits the Giants personnel is brought in.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 10, 2023, 08:24:10 AMHe should have been working in building that instead of his brand.

I would have to think that his mentor, Strahan, would have told KT that the best way to "build his brand" is to be successful on the field. What's even stranger is that Strahan's success as a pass rusher was due in no small part to his vast array of pass-rushing moves.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 09:31:19 AMI would have to think that his mentor, Strahan, would have told KT that the best way to "build his brand" is to be successful on the field. What's even stranger is that Strahan's success as a pass rusher was due in no small part to his vast array of pass-rushing moves.
You can lead a horse to water...

Jclayton92

It's Winks D even when he's had phenomenal pass rushers they only get 8 sacks a season because the style of D.