News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As a Blue Chip QB prospect....

Started by GMenRF, October 10, 2023, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMenRF

Would you want the Giants to draft you?

1. Given what this team has done to Eli Manning - not giving a competent oline to prolong his career.

2. How inept this organization is in drafting and/or developing talent at the oline - this is going back all the way to 2008 when we last had a dominant oline.

3. The instability of management/coaching staff.  It's like we're looking for new coaches every two or three years.

4. How brutal the fanbase is here and how the media will put you under a microscope.

On a side note I know Daboll won coach of the year last year but this team has made a complete 180 from what it was last year.  Stupid untimely penalties that kill momentum/drives.  Getting the plays late which has lead to unnecessary delay of games.  Not to mention that absolute lack of effort especially in the offense.  During Judge we were incompetent also offensively but were not getting the doors blown off us every single game.  Not to mention knowing how incompetent your oline is but leaving your QB out to dry for teams to tee off them in a game that is done by the 3rd quarter is an absolute head scratcher.

Also why is Bobby Johnson still in the staff?

Rambo89

Teams that are in a position to draft a QB at the top of the draft typically aren't ideal situations which is why those teams are at the top of the draft.  You can take this and also apply it to teams like the Bears and Cardinals who will also be in that position.

And BTW it makes no sense to bring up point number 3 then finish off the post by going after the coaches.  You can't complain about instability and in the same breath go after the coach in year 2.  At some point you need to give one of these guys a third season and coming off a playoff appearance and win in year one I think Daboll has earned that.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

Eli Manning played 16 seasons. I can appreciate arguments on how certain things were handled, absolutely love the guy. But he did enjoy a long and successful career

He was a class act, who's play on the field matched up to his character. Would have loved to have him longer but prolonging his career is not something I would say the Giants failed to do.

GMenRF

Quote from: True Blue on October 10, 2023, 10:53:47 AMEli Manning played 16 seasons. I can appreciate arguments on how certain things were handled, absolutely love the guy. But he did enjoy a long and successful career

He was a class act, who's play on the field matched up to his character. Would have loved to have him longer but prolonging his career is not something I would say the Giants failed to do.

I said that in the context that we could still have competed even in the latter years of Eli's career had management/coaching given him help in the oline.

MightyGiants

To answer the question, I would say no.  The owner of the Giants literally admitted to doing everything to screw up Daniel Jones (their current QB).  This season they are back to that "doing everything to screw up Daniel Jones".  So why on earth would I believe that if I were drafted by the Giants things would go better for me? 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 10, 2023, 11:38:37 AMTo answer the question, I would say no.  The owner of the Giants literally admitted to doing everything to screw up Daniel Jones (their current QB).  This season they are back to that "doing everything to screw up Daniel Jones".  So why on earth would I believe that if I were drafted by the Giants things would go better for me? 

We could have had the same conversation in 2004 as to why would anyone want to come to the Giants after the Dave Brown, Kannel and Graham debacles along with Kerry Collins in the disaster of a 2003 season?  Yet Eli Manning still wanted to come here over San Diego.

GMenRF

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 10:45:32 AMTeams that are in a position to draft a QB at the top of the draft typically aren't ideal situations which is why those teams are at the top of the draft.  You can take this and also apply it to teams like the Bears and Cardinals who will also be in that position.

And BTW it makes no sense to bring up point number 3 then finish off the post by going after the coaches.  You can't complain about instability and in the same breath go after the coach in year 2.  At some point you need to give one of these guys a third season and coming off a playoff appearance and win in year one I think Daboll has earned that.

Given with the track record our team has going back to 2008 do you have any confidence in being able to put a young QB coming in here to develop properly?

We couldn't even protect Eli let a alone a rookie who will be thrown into the fire day 1.

Then we're going to hear the same arguments made by those who supported DJ - well he doesn't have protection.  He doesn't enough talent around him.  There no competent coaches to develop him properly and 5 years down the line were back to square one.

It's called NFL for a reason - Not For Long - and the product that Dabes and Co are putting out there is garbage.  Like I said, he's not going to throw anyone under the bus but there is something wrong in that locker room and Daboll knows it.

From being competitive even in spite of the lack of talent to supposedly better talent all around and getting blown out  is absolutely alarming.

GMenRF

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 11:44:13 AMWe could have had the same conversation in 2004 as to why would anyone want to come to the Giants after the Dave Brown, Kannel and Graham debacles along with Kerry Collins in the disaster of a 2003 season?  Yet Eli Manning still wanted to come here over San Diego.

We had TC.  He has a track record even with the Jaguars - as new franchise they were competitive during his tenure there.  We also had a good GM and a well respected owner.  That is completely different now.

Rambo89

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 11:45:45 AMGiven with the track record our team has going back to 2008 do you have any confidence in being able to put a young QB coming in here to develop properly?

We couldn't even protect Eli let a alone a rookie who will be thrown into the fire day 1.

Then we're going to hear the same arguments made by those who supported DJ - well he doesn't have protection.  He doesn't enough talent around him.  There no competent coaches to develop him properly and 5 years down the line were back to square one.

It's called NFL for a reason - Not For Long - and the product that Dabes and Co are putting out there is garbage.  Like I said, he's not going to throw anyone under the bus but there is something wrong in that locker room and Daboll knows it.

From being competitive even in spite of the lack of talent to supposedly better talent all around and getting blown out  is absolutely alarming.

Again look at the Bears and Cardinals.  The Bears best QB that I can remember is Jay Cutler.  They've been a rotation of bad QB's that change frequently.  Then you have the Cardinals who a year after drafting Rosen dumped him to draft Murray.  Now they are looking to get him.

Unless you are in a situation like Mahomes was being drafted 10th when the team drafting him traded up chances are you are going to be drafted by a franchise that's a mess.  Trevor Lawrence was and yet he has succeeded in Jacksonville.

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 11:48:08 AMWe had TC.  He has a track record even with the Jaguars - as new franchise they were competitive during his tenure there.  We also had a good GM and a well respected owner.  That is completely different now.

Maybe you don't remember but at the time Coughlin didn't have the best reputation as being a player friendly coach after the way things ended in Jacksonville. 

GMenRF

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 11:51:41 AMAgain look at the Bears and Cardinals.  The Bears best QB that I can remember is Jay Cutler.  They've been a rotation of bad QB's that change frequently.  Then you have the Cardinals who a year after drafting Rosen dumped him to draft Murray.  Now they are looking to get him.

Unless you are in a situation like Mahomes was being drafted 10th when the team drafting him traded up chances are you are going to be drafted by a franchise that's a mess.  Trevor Lawrence was and yet he has succeeded in Jacksonville.

Maybe you don't remember but at the time Coughlin didn't have the best reputation as being a player friendly coach after the way things ended in Jacksonville. 

They cut ties with Meyer and got Pedersen to help develop Lawrence.  While DJ had a coach who knew how to use him and they let him go to get Judge/Garrett.  That's the complete opposite.

They also went into free agency to add talent to the WR group who actually have produced.  Did Golladay do anything for us to help with the development of DJ?  No.  Has Waller helped bailing out DJ thus far?  No - in fact you put number 88 on him and you could swear it's like having Engram with his case of dropsies.

Not to mention aside from the media @$s kissing that Lawrence gets, he doesn't have half the fan base bashing him.

Rambo89

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 11:58:10 AMThey cut ties with Meyer and got Pedersen to help develop Lawrence.  While DJ had a coach who knew how to use him and they let him go to get Judge/Garrett.  That's the complete opposite.

They also went into free agency to add talent to the WR group who actually have produced.  Did Golladay do anything for us to help with the development of DJ?  No.  Has Waller helped bailing out DJ thus far?  No - in fact you put number 88 on him and you could swear it's like having Engram with his case of dropsies.

Not to mention aside from the media @$s kissing that Lawrence gets, he doesn't have half the fan base bashing him.

Unless you want to fire Schoen and Daboll you would have an executive and a coach who were responsible for drafting and developing Josh Allen in Buffalo.  The same argument can be made as you did for Jacksonville with Trevor Lawrence.

At the end of the day a blue chip QB prospect is not going to turn away the idea of being drafted by the Giants unless it's a case like Philip Rivers who was a good old country boy who would never have been comfortable in a big market.

President Rick

how many 1st rounders pull an Eli and refuse to play for a team?  Players get their shot at the dream of an nfl career and the team that drafts them is the team for which they play [until traded, cut, hurt, etc.].
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

LennG

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 11:48:08 AMWe had TC.  He has a track record even with the Jaguars - as new franchise they were competitive during his tenure there.  We also had a good GM and a well respected owner.  That is completely different now.

Not sure what you are referring to here. We have had the same owner for forever and our GM then was Jerry Reese, who most feel under-performed thru most of his tenure here.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just a thought on Eli. Sure, I'd bet he would have liked to have played another year or so, but we weren't going to the SB, and looking back, it was probably the best thing that ever happened to Eli. He is safe, and healthy and he is making all kinds of money just doing whatever he wants.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on October 10, 2023, 12:27:31 PMhow many 1st rounders pull an Eli and refuse to play for a team?  Players get their shot at the dream of an nfl career and the team that drafts them is the team for which they play [until traded, cut, hurt, etc.].

Plus now with college players being essentially paid (and the stars paid well), it's easier for QBs to stay in school if they don't like their NFL prospects
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE