News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Williams, Maye, Penix Jr.....

Started by GMenRF, October 10, 2023, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMenRF

Considering we are at week 6 already, as a Giant tradition, it's time to talk draft picks.  (To reiterate this is a reflection on the frustration and disappointment I've had with this team which is at an all time high as far back as the punt return for a TD to DJax)

Given the injuries to DJ and how we have destroyed his development,  the Giants need to look forward for his long term replacement.

So which if the QB prospectd out there should we take a long hard look and why.

Share your thoughts.

Rambo89

I still question whether John Mara will allow Schoen to draft a QB to replace Daniel Jones but I don't watch much of any College Football so I will defer to you all who do.  Interested in @Gmo11 thoughts as he was someone years ago who was high on Herbert and obviously nailed it.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Trench

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 06:02:34 PMI still question whether John Mara will allow Schoen to draft a QB to replace Daniel Jones but I don't watch much of any College Football so I will defer to you all who do.  Interested in @Gmo11 thoughts as he was someone years ago who was high on Herbert and obviously nailed it.

I gotta believe Mara is going to trust Schoen however he wants to go

GMenRF

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 06:02:34 PMI still question whether John Mara will allow Schoen to draft a QB to replace Daniel Jones but I don't watch much of any College Football so I will defer to you all who do.  Interested in @Gmo11 thoughts as he was someone years ago who was high on Herbert and obviously nailed it.

You know I'm a Jones supporter and even say he gets out of this funk when the line miraculously gets better, but Mara needs to take a long hard look at DJ's health and assess his realistic longevity with the team.

DaveBrown74

It's definitely early for this but Williams and Maye are my top two. I would have told you the same thing back in August too. I think both are very talented.

Penix is interesting. Up until this year I thought of him as a very good college QB but not necessarily a top pro prospect. I am coming around on that view a little. I have liked what I have seen from him. He seems to have excellent processing speed.

Rambo89

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 06:10:47 PMYou know I'm a Jones supporter and even say he gets out of this funk when the line miraculously gets better, but Mara needs to take a long hard look at DJ's health and assess his realistic longevity with the team.

Think it comes down to if you are Schoen and are in a position to draft someone who you consider to be an elite QB prospects in 2024 you make the move because if you don't and just roll with Daniel Jones in 2024 you may not be given the opportunity to draft a QB in 2025 if things also go south in 2024.

GMenRF

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 10, 2023, 06:14:51 PMThink it comes down to if you are Schoen and are in a position to draft someone who you consider to be an elite QB prospects in 2024 you make the move because if you don't and just roll with Daniel Jones in 2024 you may not be given the opportunity to draft a QB in 2025 if things also go south in 2024.

I'm leaning on QB as well considering how we whiffed on Neal and not changes/adjustments have been made (ie Bobby Johnson is still part of the coaching staff) I don't have confidence on this team drafting a Tackle early and developing that player properly.

Honestly, I need Schoen to admit they missed on Neal and at least salvage him by sliding him to Guard and let Euzudu play RT when Thomas comes back.

JT39

Don't get too high on the PAC 12 QBs out Williams. Horrible defensive division. Air raid offenses. Barely hit. And nix and pennix are in their 5th and 6th years already.

Here's my top 5

Williams
Maye
McCarthy
Leonard
Ewers

Rambo89

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 06:18:09 PMI'm leaning on QB as well considering how we whiffed on Neal and not changes/adjustments have been made (ie Bobby Johnson is still part of the coaching staff) I don't have confidence on this team drafting a Tackle early and developing that player properly.

Honestly, I need Schoen to admit they missed on Neal and at least salvage him by sliding him to Guard and let Euzudu play RT when Thomas comes back.

Unless you are replacing Andrew Thomas as Left Tackle it makes zero sense to me to spend another Top 10 draft selection on a linemen.  In general unless you're talking about a Left Tackle I am not a fan of spending a high first round pick on a linemen.  I even had some reservations about taking another linemen before the 2022 draft though I was good with Neal at the time.

Quote from: JT39 on October 10, 2023, 06:21:37 PMDon't get too high on the PAC 12 QBs out Williams. Horrible defensive division. Air raid offenses. Barely hit. And nix and pennix are in their 5th and 6th years already.

Here's my top 5

Williams
Maye
McCarthy
Leonard
Ewers

The knocks on Mahomes when he was drafted was that he came from an Air Raid offense and we see how he's turned out. 

madbadger

Quote from: GMenRF on October 10, 2023, 05:57:26 PMConsidering we are at week 6 already, as a Giant tradition, it's time to talk draft picks.  (To reiterate this is a reflection on the frustration and disappointment I've had with this team which is at an all time high as far back as the punt return for a TD to DJax)

Given the injuries to DJ and how we have destroyed his development,  the Giants need to look forward for his long term replacement.

So which if the QB prospectd out there should we take a long hard look and why.

Share your thoughts.

A lot of the college season left to go but in addition to those mentioned you have Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy, Quinn Ewers, Jayden Daniels, Dillon Gabriel and Jordan Travis. All of them have the physical tools and production to merit a first round grade. If all of them come out a couple will still be on the board at the beginning of the second round.

JT39

Quote from: madbadger on October 10, 2023, 06:26:45 PMA lot of the college season left to go but in addition to those mentioned you have Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy, Quinn Ewers, Jayden Daniels, Dillon Gabriel and Jordan Travis. All of them have the physical tools and production to merit a first round grade. If all of them come out a couple will still be on the board at the beginning of the second round.

I am not a Gabriel fan. He's like a 5-6 rounder. Slow, slow release, and not strong enough arm.

Travis scares me because of guilt and injury history. McDaniels is fair - probably a 3-4 round grade on him.

The 5 I listed I believe have superior traits that correlate to the NFL a little bit better.

But I am not opposed to some of the guys you mentioned in middle-late rounds as prospects

brownelvis54

Quote from: JT39 on October 10, 2023, 06:21:37 PMDon't get too high on the PAC 12 QBs out Williams. Horrible defensive division. Air raid offenses. Barely hit. And nix and pennix are in their 5th and 6th years already.

Here's my top 5

Williams
Maye
McCarthy
Leonard
Ewers

Where we pick. I strongly doubt Williams or Maye will be there when we pick. Quinn Ewers might be there when we pick.

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 10, 2023, 06:35:32 PMWhere we pick. I strongly doubt Williams or Maye will be there when we pick. Quinn Ewers might be there when we pick.

The odds don't favor it, but we're 1-4 right now and a 14.5 point underdog in our next game. Really too early to know. There is no 0-5 teams, so we're right in the mix at the moment.

brownelvis54

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 10, 2023, 06:41:09 PMThe odds don't favor it, but we're 1-4 right now and a 14.5 point underdog in our next game. Really too early to know. There is no 0-5 teams, so we're right in the mix at the moment.

Actually, Carolina Panthers are currently 0-5.... it would be interesting to see if they would go after williams if they do get the number one overall pick.
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 10, 2023, 07:20:14 PMActually, Carolina Panthers are currently 0-5.... it would be interesting to see if they would go after williams if they do get the number one overall pick.

Whoops, my mistake, you're absolutely right. They're probably the only team I would say has been worse than us this year.