News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Best College games week 8

Started by Ed Vette, October 21, 2023, 10:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Funny. I was just about to create a college week 8 thread.

Big week. Some real marquee action. My thoughts below:

PSU/OSU is big. OSU has the signature in in South Bend.. Penn St doesn't really have that yet. Here is their opportunity. I tend to like OSU at home here (-4.5) but obviously this one can go either way as both are top national powerhouses.

Tennesee at Bama: Winner of this game will be able to keep their playoff hopes alive. I think these teams are about even on paper, but obviously the public is favoring Bama. If I were betting I'd take Tennessee with the 8.5 points as Bama has not been right this year, but it wouldn't be with high conviction.

Ole Miss at Auburn: Another good SEC battle. With only one loss Ole Miss is still theoretically alive for the postseason, although they have a regular season game in Georgia on the schedule, so it's not an easy path for them. And I wouldn't say winning in Auburn is a gimme, although I do like them to do so (-6.5).

Michigan at Michigan State: The Spartans aren't good, but they're not completely awful either. They're getting 24.5 points at home against UMich in a game that they will treat like it's their Super Bowl. This sign stealing scandal may have been a distraction for Harbaugh and his team this week. They also have to play PSU in a couple weeks. Will they be 100% focused for this game? Remains to be seen, but I'd probably take the 24.5 here and hope Mich is a little off.

Utah at USC: USC isn't all that great (their D is a joke), but after being humiliated last week I like them to bounce back in this spot in a big way. Utah is solid but they're much better at home. Look for Caleb Williams to be on a mission in this game. Trojans -7.

Ed Vette

Drake Maye and UNC are 6-0 and ranked 10th. They play 1-5 Virginia but I'd watch it or record it to see DM. Who might/should be on the Giants radar?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 10:55:58 AMDrake Maye and UNC are 6-0 and ranked 10th. They play 1-5 Virginia but I'd watch it or record it to see DM. Who might/should be on the Giants radar?

He for sure is. I think the base case at this point is that we'll be in the QB market in the upcoming draft. Maye is the consensus 2nd best QB in a loaded QB draft. He will have tons of eyes on him.

As you said though, the opponent stinks. People are going to want to see how he does against the Clemsons and Dukes of the world.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 11:06:59 AMHe for sure is. I think the base case at this point is that we'll be in the QB market in the upcoming draft. Maye is the consensus 2nd best QB in a loaded QB draft. He will have tons of eyes on him.

As you said though, the opponent stinks. People are going to want to see how he does against the Clemsons and Dukes of the world.
Do you think he would play in the Peach Bowl if matched against Bama?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 11:15:14 AMDo you think he would play in the Peach Bowl if matched against Bama?

Great question. I wouldn't bet on it honestly. More downside than upside if he is a consensus lock to be top 2 in the draft at that point. Nobody cares about non-playoff bowl games anymore.

That said it's not impossible. We have seen some draft-bound QBs like Matt Corral do it. But most don't (Kenny Pickett being a recent example).

Philosophers

PSU vs OSU is the only big game today IMHO.

MSU is a mess.

Auburn is terrible.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 21, 2023, 12:46:06 PMPSU vs OSU is the only big game today IMHO.

MSU is a mess.

Auburn is terrible.

Tennessee/Bama is a solid matchup of two 5-1 SEC teams. Whoever wins that will have bona fide postseason hopes.

No game is bigger than this PSU/OSU game although that is not the only game with playoff relevance.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 12:50:37 PMTennessee/Bama is a solid matchup of two 5-1 SEC teams. Whoever wins that will have bona fide postseason hopes.

No game is bigger than this PSU/OSU game although that is not the only game with playoff relevance.

SEC is mediocre this season 5-1 or not.  I dont believe there will be any debate about a 2nd SEC team making playoffs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 21, 2023, 01:00:14 PMSEC is mediocre this season 5-1 or not.  I dont believe there will be any debate about a 2nd SEC team making playoffs.

Agreed. One will for sure though, and even though UGA hasn't lost yet they're clearly not as good as they were the previous couple of years. So whoever has the opportunity to play them in the championship game will have a shot.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 01:02:39 PMAgreed. One will for sure though, and even though UGA hasn't lost yet they're clearly not as good as they were the previous couple of years. So whoever has the opportunity to play them in the championship game will have a shot.

Sorry I wrote it poorly.  No 2nd SEC team will make the playoffs IMHO.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 21, 2023, 10:55:58 AMDrake Maye and UNC are 6-0 and ranked 10th. They play 1-5 Virginia but I'd watch it or record it to see DM. Who might/should be on the Giants radar?

If I had to choose....I would take Maye over Calib Williams. I think when the Giants pick both guys will be gone. Arizona state plays Washington, Michael Pinex is a QB to watch
The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

Quote from: Philosophers on October 21, 2023, 12:46:06 PMPSU vs OSU is the only big game today IMHO.

MSU is a mess.

Auburn is terrible.

USC vs Utah

Tennessee vs Alabama

The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers