News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A good point and a good question

Started by MightyGiants, October 21, 2023, 10:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 22, 2023, 07:36:35 AMJeff,

It seems that the bar has been set at wanting an elite QB.  Jones (pre-injury) was considered by many of his strongest critics as an average starter.   While there is a chance of getting an elite QB lower in the draft the chances become less the deeper one gets into the first round.

Of course that is true, and I noted exactly that in my post. My point was simply that if you're picking something like 11th in a deep QB draft, which this one appears to be, you still have a chance of landing someone very good. Moving up is clearly a possibility. Not everyone picking ahead of us is going to be interested in a QB.

Plus I don't see the Giants not picking in the top 10 anyway. Our talent level and remaining schedule are pointing to a 4 or 5 win type season.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 22, 2023, 07:43:56 AMOf course that is true, and I noted exactly that in my post. My point was simply that if you're picking something like 11th in a deep QB draft, which this one appears to be, you still have a chance of landing someone very good. Moving up is clearly a possibility. Not everyone picking ahead of us is going to be interested in a QB.

Plus I don't see the Giants not picking in the top 10 anyway. Our talent level and remaining schedule are pointing to a 4 or 5 win type season.

The way I look at it:

If you're at the top of the draft and a top QB either falls to you or you are in a position to trade to land them, you only need to:

1)  Identify and develop an elite QB prospect

If you are further down in the draft (likey outside the top 5) then you need to:

1)  Identify and develop an elite QB prospect

2)  Hope other teams fail to identify an elite QB prospect (and draft them)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Interestingly enough, the Giants didn't sink in the draft order with yesterday's victory. They are still sitting at 5th overall, according to Tankathon.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Quote from: katkavage on October 21, 2023, 07:15:57 PMRemember 2018 and all the QBs drafted in the first round. Mayfield has a career. Darnold a career back up. Rosen is out of football. Then the two best that year were the last picked in the first round. Allen and Jackson.
Are you guys talking about Maye from UNC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk