News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Report - Giants not planning on trading Barkley

Started by MightyGiants, October 21, 2023, 01:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

If we don't trade him and let him walk, we get a 3rd round compensatory draft pick, right? Hard to see us getting anything higher than that this year? A 2nd round? I would take it...but I dont see that happening.
The KING is in the building

EDjohnst1981

Absolutely the right message in order to drive up any price.

DaveBrown74

Unless I am mistaken, if we were to receive a compensatory pick for him, it would be the 2025 draft, not 2024.

spiderblue43

He's obviously a favorite of Mara, and it's true they can receive compensation in the off-season but..it will be a stretch to see him back next year. Maybe teams will reach out with a good trade offer..but I tend to think he finishes this year in blue.

H-Town G-Fan

Just a note, compensatory picks can be negated by signings the Giants make in the same off-season. So saying, "oh they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Barkley so they shouldn't trade him for a 4th round pick" isn't really accurately addressing the situation (not calling out anyone here, but a position I've seen elsewhere).

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 22, 2023, 01:45:58 AMJust a note, compensatory picks can be negated by signings the Giants make in the same off-season. So saying, "oh they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Barkley so they shouldn't trade him for a 4th round pick" isn't really accurately addressing the situation (not calling out anyone here, but a position I've seen elsewhere).

Good point. They're not some guaranteed black and white thing.

With that said it's unclear that the Giants will be signing anyone substantial in this upcoming offseason.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 22, 2023, 01:45:58 AMJust a note, compensatory picks can be negated by signings the Giants make in the same off-season. So saying, "oh they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Barkley so they shouldn't trade him for a 4th round pick" isn't really accurately addressing the situation (not calling out anyone here, but a position I've seen elsewhere).

That is an important point.  The Giants should have cap space this season and likely will be signing a few players.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 21, 2023, 03:26:08 PMUnless I am mistaken, if we were to receive a compensatory pick for him, it would be the 2025 draft, not 2024.

Correct and to put things into perspective on this: Currently the  3rd round compensatory picks for 2024 are projected to be for players that all signed for more than 17 mill/year.

Then there is the part of the formula for contribution in the 1st year if the contract.  So if an injury prone player misses significant time, the compensation goes down or disappears. 

Giants say they are not trading Barkley now, we shall see how the team performs the next two weeks which may have a significant impact on their feelings at the deadline.