News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quietly, Micah McFadden marches on....

Started by Bob In PA, October 23, 2023, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

I like watching McFadden during the game, more so than Okereke.

It could be because Okereke is a "proven" player who generally speaking has lived up to his billing.

Or could be because I'm surprised opponents haven't tested him more in pass defense?

Could it be something Wink is doing to "hide" him?

Or could it be his lack of notable foot speed is adequately negated because he's IMO a VERY smart player?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

We have had so many unexpected problems that sometimes we forget that the Giants did solve a couple of their anticipated issues.  During the offseason and training camp, who played next to Okereke was considered an issue.   You had the presumed front-runner, Jarrad Davis, but he ended up on IR.  The other presumed front-runner was Beavers, who disappointed coming back from his ACL injury and is now on the PS.  Then there was McFadden, who no one thought had a chance.  He might have won the position by default, but he certainly has run with it now that he has it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

I see PPF finally started giving him good grades for a change.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

y_so_blu

He's starting to look all right out there, I'll give him that.

B1GBLUE

seems to be a high effort, high iq level guy. maybe not the most physically gifted, but hes been making impact plays. im excited to see him continue to grow. idk if hes ever going to be an all pro, but hes shaping up to be a solid lb and better than pretty much anything we've had in years.

Bob In PA

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 24, 2023, 08:40:20 AMseems to be a high effort, high iq level guy. maybe not the most physically gifted, but hes been making impact plays. im excited to see him continue to grow. idk if hes ever going to be an all pro, but hes shaping up to be a solid lb and better than pretty much anything we've had in years.

B-1: IMO it's better-than-average-with-consistency players who make up most Super-Bowl-ready teams. Salary cap. Bob

madbadger

Guys like McFadden keep reminding me that sometimes you just have to be patient with younger players. They all don't transition smoothly to the NFL year one. At the end of last year I thought I had seen enough and that we still had a major hole next to Okereke but after seven weeks I am fairly certain that at the least he'll be a solid pro.

Ed Vette

He's becoming what I hoped he would be. I was very disappointed in him prior to this season. Good point on rushing to judgment on a young player.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Good thread and have enjoyed the comments so far on one of the few bright spots this season.

Overachiever. That's what I would characterize as McFadden as and Giant history has wonderful stories of overachieving LBers who made significant contributions to Giant teams when they struggled, all the way to when they played in Super Bowls.

While McFadden still has a long way to go, I can see the hustle in him that I remember seeing in no-name linebackers such as Gary Reasons, Corey Widmer and Chase Blackburn. I would love nothing more than to see this kid continue to improve and one day, when the Giants are once again perennial contenders, he will still be on the field trying to out-hustle everyone to the ball.

It's very easy to get behind the likes of the McFaddens of the NFL and pull for them.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

The criticism he got for a few missed tackles in a game earlier this season (AZ?) when he was all over the field making plays was a gross overreaction. We am glad we finally drafted a playmaker at LB.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on October 25, 2023, 09:44:27 AMThe criticism he got for a few missed tackles in a game earlier this season (AZ?) when he was all over the field making plays was a gross overreaction. We am glad we finally drafted a playmaker at LB.

TD: And Okereke has IMO proven to be about as good as "advertised" when the Giants acquired him.

By the way, what do you think of Simmons so far? 

Should he see the field as much, more, or less than he is right now?

Bob

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 25, 2023, 10:50:36 AMTD: And Okereke has IMO proven to be about as good as "advertised" when the Giants acquired him.

By the way, what do you think of Simmons so far? 

Should he see the field as much, more, or less than he is right now?

Bob

About the same. Seems like a situational player.