News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Has this new regime taken a step back?

Started by andrew_nyGiants, October 28, 2023, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Or was this what they expected? (IE OLINE issues and little depth at OL & RB).

QB a surprise or point made?

Was this a point made for giving the baby (owner) his bottle?

I'm not trying to be overly critical here but Schoen/Dabol see to have too much collective football knowledge than to be caught off guard like this.

That being said, under John Mara's tenure this franchise has consistently under performed at OL & QB....yet, with what looked like a fresh start (the Schoen/Dabol regime), the "suggestion" that Jones hadn't been given a fair shot to that point, seems to have derailed what should've been a full rebuild to turn this team in the right direction long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

I'm pretty sure this regime was still in year 2 of the rebuild. I don't think Jones was their longterm guy, but instead someone they could work with while they built up the roster. So they are still there I think they've done a good job drafting and are still moving forward.

The fan base and ny media blew the offense out of proportion in camp and preseason which led to a lot of disappointment coupled with the injuries.

At the end of the day we are still in year 2 of a rebuild of a franchise that has been bottom 4 for almost a decade. It'll take time.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 28, 2023, 01:11:34 PMI'm pretty sure this regime was still in year 2 of the rebuild. I don't think Jones was their longterm guy, but instead someone they could work with while they built up the roster. So they are still there I think they've done a good job drafting and are still moving forward.

The fan base and ny media blew the offense out of proportion in camp and preseason which led to a lot of disappointment coupled with the injuries.

At the end of the day we are still in year 2 of a rebuild of a franchise that has been bottom 4 for almost a decade. It'll take time.
Do you believe that if Mara had not voiced support for DJ that they would've signed the 5th year option last year or tagged him this off-season vs the extension ?

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 28, 2023, 01:18:17 PMDo you believe that if Mara had not voiced support for DJ that they would've signed the 5th year option last year or tagged him this off-season vs the extension ?

The problem they had was that there were no other options. It was a bad draft for QB, no FA guys or anything like that. So I think regardless of Mara Jones is on the roster this season. I just think they were looking forward towards this upcoming draft and needed a guy until then. The last 3 Qbs Daboll has coached Allen, Tua, and Hurts so he knows the difference between Elite, Good, and bad QB play.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 28, 2023, 03:52:35 PMThe problem they had was that there were no other options. It was a bad draft for QB, no FA guys or anything like that. So I think regardless of Mara Jones is on the roster this season. I just think they were looking forward towards this upcoming draft and needed a guy until then. The last 3 Qbs Daboll has coached Allen, Tua, and Hurts so he knows the difference between Elite, Good, and bad QB play.

The other option would have been to let Jones walk and go with a stopgap type of option like Baker Mayfield. I think the success of last year made that option look poor optically and they ended up just bidding against themselves for Jones. They could have also just set a hard line in the sand with Jones and let him go to FA where almost nobody would have come close to matching what the Giants were offering.

Ultimately, winning 9 games with a 4-5 win roster is what screwed everything up. If you asked Schoen and Daboll before the year (and they were honest), I think they would have said they expected to be drafting in the top 10 and looking for their next QB. Jones wasn't in their plans for this year until last year played out.

Bob In PA

Andrew:  In a word, "No!"  If anything, some players may have taken a step back.

But IMO we fans shouldn't seek to blame poor execution on the regime (it's almost always 95% on the players).

The regime will adapt to changes made by other teams who (this year) have adapted to what the Giants did on the field last year.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

VanPelt

I don't think so, improving isn't a linear thing. Many teams have had a good year, then regressed a little in year 2, before improving a lot again in year 3. Injuries, schedule, continuing to rip up and try to improve the roster, all factor in to this. I think year 3 is the big tell year for a new regime personally.

Painter

I dare say most of the foregoing seems reasonable, fair and balanced. If we know anything about the NFL, it is that it almost always defies predictability. And so in regard to the "regime", I would default to the notion " You can lead a horse to water..."

Cheers!

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 28, 2023, 11:14:00 AMOr was this what they expected? (IE OLINE issues and little depth at OL & RB).

QB a surprise or point made?

Was this a point made for giving the baby (owner) his bottle?

I'm not trying to be overly critical here but Schoen/Dabol see to have too much collective football knowledge than to be caught off guard like this.

That being said, under John Mara's tenure this franchise has consistently under performed at OL & QB....yet, with what looked like a fresh start (the Schoen/Dabol regime), the "suggestion" that Jones hadn't been given a fair shot to that point, seems to have derailed what should've been a full rebuild to turn this team in the right direction long term.

Andrew - great question.  I think we expected the team to take a step back in terms of wins but nobody expected the OL to be this terrible and for few players to have developed from last year.

One thing I kept saying all preason in the board was that injuries would kill this team.  I never thought Neal would be this bad or the D would be so quiet until the 5th game of the season.