News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Did the refs allow an illegal spike w/one second on the clock?

Started by Bob In PA, October 30, 2023, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

In another post, @andrew_nyGiants raised the issue that no official spotted the ball before the Jets lined up for the spike with one second left (which sent the game into overtime).

Has anyone heard or seen this issue raised or discussed anywhere else?

I have not checked the replay because I loaned my iPad to someone for a few days.

Bob

PS. Also is it actually possible to toss a 30-yd pass & spike the ball in 8 seconds? That's what happened.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Yeah, Boomer Esiason pointed out that the refs gifted the Jets the one second needed so they could kick a field goal. Pretty obvious...not that the Giants deserved to win, but it doesn't help when the stripes help the other team  :no:

https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/sports/missed-call-gave-jets-chance-to-tie-game-boomer-esiason/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on October 30, 2023, 01:56:50 PMYeah, Boomer Esiason pointed out that the refs gifted the Jets the one second needed so they could kick a field goal. Pretty obvious...not that the Giants deserved to win, but it doesn't help when the stripes help the other team  :no:
Jolly: At this point I'll accept an apology and the higher draft pick we'll get by losing an additional game. Bob

Fast Eddie Felson

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 01:50:36 PMIn another post, @andrew_nyGiants raised the issue that no official spotted the ball before the Jets lined up for the spike with one second left (which sent the game into overtime).

Has anyone heard or seen this issue raised or discussed anywhere else?

I have not checked the replay because I loaned my iPad to someone for a few days.

Bob

PS. Also is it actually possible to toss a 30-yd pass & spike the ball in 8 seconds? That's what happened.
The issue has been talked about much. Apparently, the ref only needs to touch the ball on the ground and this is considered a placement, but I`d still like confirmation from the NFL.

MightyGiants

from the link:

One website that devotes itself to NFL officiating cleared the officials of wrongdoing on the play.

Football Zebras, which analyzes NFL rules and how officials perform, maintained that the back judge touching the ball was enough for the Jets to snap the ball.

"When there is a long completion the exact yard line of the ball is not important," the site wrote on its live blog. "What is important is for the umpire to spot the ball before the offense can snap the ball and spike it to stop the clock.

"The mechanics call for the back judge or a player to put the ball down. The umpire will then race in, touch the ball that is lying on the ground, and get clear of the offense so they can snap and clock the ball. The umpire's actions set the neutral zone and declare the ball ready for play.

"During this sequence, it is easier, safer and faster for the umpire to tap the ball and keep running forward to the defensive backfield."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Fast Eddie Felson on October 30, 2023, 02:30:47 PMThe issue has been talked about much. Apparently, the ref only needs to touch the ball on the ground and this is considered a placement, but I`d still like confirmation from the NFL.

Fast Eddie: Thanks for posting this. I was never aware of such a rule. 

It makes sense, I suppose (speeds up the game and is useful in precisely the situation where it was used).

I'd also like the NFL to confirm it (or someone who officiates, although pro rules may differ from others).

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 02:37:05 PMfrom the link:

One website that devotes itself to NFL officiating cleared the officials of wrongdoing on the play.

Football Zebras, which analyzes NFL rules and how officials perform, maintained that the back judge touching the ball was enough for the Jets to snap the ball.

"When there is a long completion the exact yard line of the ball is not important," the site wrote on its live blog. "What is important is for the umpire to spot the ball before the offense can snap the ball and spike it to stop the clock.

"The mechanics call for the back judge or a player to put the ball down. The umpire will then race in, touch the ball that is lying on the ground, and get clear of the offense so they can snap and clock the ball. The umpire's actions set the neutral zone and declare the ball ready for play.

"During this sequence, it is easier, safer and faster for the umpire to tap the ball and keep running forward to the defensive backfield."

Rich: Sounds to me like if the UMPIRE spotted the ball and the BACK JUDGE touched it, that's good enough.

Since that's what happened according to the NY Post, I suppose there was no violation of the rule.

Regardless, we still elevate our draft position by losing (a ray of sunshine in a cloud of despair? lol).

Bob

andrew_nyGiants

Love to know who operated the clock. There is no way that a 30 yard pass in the middle of the field could be set up for a spike within 8 seconds. Not even if all the players were Reynaldo Nehimyah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 02:43:29 PMRich: Sounds to me like if the UMPIRE spotted the ball and the BACK JUDGE touched it, that's good enough.

Since that's what happened according to the NY Post, I suppose there was no violation of the rule.

Regardless, we still elevate our draft position by losing (a ray of sunshine in a cloud of despair? lol).

Bob
It's not what happened. The Jets player spotted the ball and the judge come in and touched it as Rich quoted Zebras. I posted a pic in the thread I started last night.
 https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=68021.0
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 03:22:32 PMIt's not what happened. The Jets player spotted the ball and the judge come in and touched it as Rich quoted Zebras. I posted a pic in the thread I started last night.
 https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=68021.0

One thing I noticed the Jets gave themselves a less than generous spot, the actual spot was about a yard further.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 03:26:09 PMOne thing I noticed the Jets gave themselves a less than generous spot, the actual spot was about a yard further.
Didn't matter in this case. What mattered was that he spotted it dead center.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 03:28:38 PMDidn't matter in this case. What mattered was that he spotted it dead center.
Ed: Once again, a factor that had escaped my attention. Was a center spot correct or not?  Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 03:28:38 PMDidn't matter in this case. What mattered was that he spotted it dead center.

It looked like he spotted it on the right hash, which seemed like the correct spot (and also the one the kicker preferred)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 03:30:47 PMEd: Once again, a factor that had escaped my attention. Was a center spot correct or not?  Bob
Actually, I stand corrected. He did. It was spotted right hash.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 03:33:47 PMIt looked like he spotted it on the right hash, which seemed like the correct spot (and also the one the kicker preferred)

The kicker's right side preference probably figured into the OC's play call. It would have figured into mine. Bob