News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

An impressive accomplishment by Barkley

Started by MightyGiants, October 30, 2023, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

He carried the Offense on his back against a team knowing he was going to run. 3.6 YPC under those conditions is other worldly.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

Great work by Barkley yesterday for sure ....but I still don't know why at end of reg time and Giants had first down ....he ran in the middle and appeared to fall down on his own after a five yard gain? If he stays on his feet he may have made a first down which would have iced the game... did he think he was suppose to go down ? Or what ... this is not the first time he has messed up clock management at the end of a game, by running out of bounds last year stopping the clock in Baltimore game which enabled Ravens to get ball back with time remaining in the game. There was another occasion he messed up as well ,can't remember specifics.
Kind of concerning. Even the announcer in the TV broadcast mentioned it as well.
puzzling. Little things matter in a game like yesterday.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Woody on October 30, 2023, 04:05:37 PMGreat work by Barkley yesterday for sure ....but I still don't know why at end of reg time and Giants had first down ....he ran in the middle and appeared to fall down on his own after a five yard gain? If he stays on his feet he may have made a first down which would have iced the game... did he think he was suppose to go down ? Or what ... this is not the first time he has messed up clock management at the end of a game, by running out of bounds last year stopping the clock in Baltimore game which enabled Ravens to get ball back with time remaining in the game. There was another occasion he messed up as well ,can't remember specifics.
Kind of concerning. Even the announcer in the TV broadcast mentioned it as well.
puzzling. Little things matter in a game like yesterday.

Woody: Bob Papa and Carl Banks and Howard Cross all believed he could have scored on the that play because the Giants had the outside blocked up perfectly.  Either Barkley didn't notice or (more likely) he was focused on not running out of bounds and stopping the clock and believed taking an inside cut made more sense. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 03:43:09 PMHe carried the Offense on his back against a team knowing he was going to run. 3.6 YPC under those conditions is other worldly.

Thought it seems some fans feel it would have been easily replaced by another runner. 

AZGiantFan

He had a run of 34 yards (where he was caught from behind).  On his other 35 runs he averaged 2.7 yards.  There is no context that makes that good.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

VanPelt

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 30, 2023, 05:50:12 PMHe had a run of 34 yards (where he was caught from behind).  On his other 35 runs he averaged 2.7 yards.  There is no context that makes that good.

I don't agree with this line of thinking. I don't think its fair to say "lets take out his best runs and then see how he looks". Behind this makeshift OL of players who should be on practice squads, of course there are going to be a lot of runs where he has no where to go. Half the time he got about one step into the run before contact. I think 128 yards was a huge achievement personally, and he carried the offense

AZGiantFan

Quote from: VanPelt on October 30, 2023, 06:41:37 PMI don't agree with this line of thinking. I don't think its fair to say "lets take out his best runs and then see how he looks". Behind this makeshift OL of players who should be on practice squads, of course there are going to be a lot of runs where he has no where to go. Half the time he got about one step into the run before contact. I think 128 yards was a huge achievement personally, and he carried the offense

Funny how this line of defense is derided as making excuses when applied to Daniel Jones.

Not slowing my roll

PSUBeirut

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 30, 2023, 05:50:12 PMHe had a run of 34 yards (where he was caught from behind).  On his other 35 runs he averaged 2.7 yards.  There is no context that makes that good.

Hilariously terrible take.   <:-P

nb587

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 30, 2023, 06:54:27 PMFunny how this line of defense is derided as making excuses when applied to Daniel Jones.
Maybe the difference between making $40 million plus and about $12 million. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: nb587 on October 30, 2023, 07:46:22 PMMaybe the difference between making $40 million plus and about $12 million. 

Except the excuse argument was used against Jones before he signed the contract.  And I don't see how much you are paid should be a factor in a strictly football assessment.

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

I think the difference is that Barkley was running productively when everyone knew he was going to run and knew the Giants were not going to throw...and it was a makeshift line against a good defense.

Jones hasn't had success throwing behind that same line, but its not like everyone is just sitting on the pass all game long waiting for him to throw.  Actually, they are waiting for him or Barkley to run.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 31, 2023, 02:14:11 PMAnd I don't see how much you are paid should be a factor in a strictly football assessment.

I think it can and probably should be, since how much you are paid directly impacts how much the team can pay other supporting players around you.

A very highly paid player should, basically by definition, be less dependent on those around him in order to perform at an acceptable level than a much cheaper player.