News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lets talk about the QBs in 2024 draft.

Started by brownelvis54, October 31, 2023, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

As of now this is the order per PFF, Oct 30 2023

1. QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

2. QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

3. QB BO NIX, OREGON

4. QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON

5. QB RILEY LEONARD, DUKE

6. QB J.J. MCCARTHY, MICHIGAN

7. QB SHEDEUR SANDERS, COLORADO

8. QB MICHAEL PRATT, TULANE

9. QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

10. QB QUINN EWERS, TEXAS

Of course its still early and the ranking will change. Who do you like? Who do you think will be there when we pick?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks
The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

And with the 6th over all pick........we take the QB from Duke

madbadger

McCarthy is way too low and Leonard is way too high.

brownelvis54

Quote from: madbadger on October 31, 2023, 01:09:13 AMMcCarthy is way too low and Leonard is way too high.

Agreed and I thought Ewers was a little low too

Gmo11

I don't care what Riley Leonard does on the field. I don't care what he does at the combine. I don't care what he scores on the wonderlic or whatever test they use now is. If they draft another QB from duke I'm going to lose it. Let him be great elsewhere because if he came to the Giants he'd suck out loud.

I also think as of now I'd have McCarthy 3rd over Bo Nix mainly because Nix is old. So is Penix. But I think skills wise they're all in the same tier. McCarthy just has more potential to become better by virtue of being 3 years younger than those other two. However if Daboll fell in full bloom love with Nix or Penix I wouldn't be upset.

Just please don't take Riley. I'm begging you.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 31, 2023, 06:43:26 AMI don't care what Riley Leonard does on the field. I don't care what he does at the combine. I don't care what he scores on the wonderlic or whatever test they use now is. If they draft another QB from duke I'm going to lose it. Let him be great elsewhere because if he came to the Giants he'd suck out loud.

I also think as of now I'd have McCarthy 3rd over Bo Nix mainly because Nix is old. So is Penix. But I think skills wise they're all in the same tier. McCarthy just has more potential to become better by virtue of being 3 years younger than those other two. However if Daboll fell in full bloom love with Nix or Penix I wouldn't be upset.

Just please don't take Riley. I'm begging you.

The mockery the Giants will be on the receiving end of if they take another Duke QB will be like nothing any of us have ever seen.

uconnjack8

I see quantity on that list not necessarily quality.

brownelvis54

Michigan played 5 top 25 defenses last year (Iowa, PSU, Illinois, OSU, TCU)

So, in same number of games:

Caleb Williams vs Top 25 defenses, 78-148 (51%), 860 yards (5.8 YPA), 6 TDs, 6 INTS, rating 105.4

JJ McCarthy vs Top 25 defenses, 85-140 (60.7%), 1,114 yards (8.0 YPA), 6 TDs, 3 INTs, rating 137.4

sooners56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 31, 2023, 08:22:26 AMI see quantity on that list not necessarily quality.

This QB draft class is supposed to be very strong according to draft experts. I am assuming you don't think any will be any good?
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Gmo11

Quote from: sooners56 on October 31, 2023, 10:27:55 AMThis QB draft class is supposed to be very strong according to draft experts. I am assuming you don't think any will be any good?

All of this is a matter of opinion of course.  I happen to think there's at least 4 or 5 guys that are going to go in the 1st round.  History shows us that a couple will be good and a couple will be bad.  But unlike the Jones year where really only 1 QB SHOULD have gone in the first round (spoiler alert:  it wasn't Jones) this year there's plenty of guys that should and will go in the 1st round. 

DaveBrown74

Opinions are always strong on QB prospects every year (everywhere, not just this board), but the reality is nobody has a clue and people are wrong all the time. NFL GMs and scouts get it wrong all the time, so even though fans love to have firm opinions nobody really knows. Predicting which college QBs will be good pros is one of the harder things to do in all of sports-related prognostication.

uconnjack8

Quote from: sooners56 on October 31, 2023, 10:27:55 AMThis QB draft class is supposed to be very strong according to draft experts. I am assuming you don't think any will be any good?

I've watched the number 1 guy a couple of times and came away unimpressed both times.  The story is that his team isn't good and they are so outclassed that he cannot overcome the difference in team levels.  I believe he is 0 fer against top 25 teams.  Hard for me to get excited for that even though there is arm talent.  Then there is a story that he wants a percent of ownership with his 1st contract.  Not sure if it's 100% true, but when you add that to inability to beat top competition, it doesn't make me think the rest of the class is so great when this guy seems to be the clear number 1. 

Further, when people say "its a deep QB class", what does that mean?  Does that mean they believe there are 5 guys that will become solid starters in the NFL?  Its one thing when you have a deep WR group (or other position) and teams can get a solid contributor in the 3rd round, but for the the QB position, that's worthless for teams looking for a starter.  Maybe there will be 7 franchise QBs in this draft and I will be totally wrong.

Just going from what I have seen in the recent past, if 5 guys go in the 1st round, 2 of them will be successful, the others will be backups or worse within a few years.  And maybe those 3 that are not good starters will be solid backups, and thats great for the depth of the class, but its not going to help the Giants.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 31, 2023, 10:48:12 AMOpinions are always strong on QB prospects every year (everywhere, not just this board), but the reality is nobody has a clue and people are wrong all the time. NFL GMs and scouts get it wrong all the time, so even though fans love to have firm opinions nobody really knows. Predicting which college QBs will be good pros is one of the harder things to do in all of sports-related prognostication.

Agree.  With the exception of the 2020 class, I don't think any recent QB class had the best pros taken 1st or even 2nd in some cases.  The amount of research and time spent on these players by scouts, coaches and management is huge and they still get it wrong.

FL GMAN

I can't speak to their skills relating to pro bowl but I have met Michael Pratt and character wise he is
a great person. He used to date the girl next door and you couldn't find a nicer more humble kid. I've seen Tulane 3/4 times and he has been very good but again how that translates to the pros is beyond my capabilities.

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on October 31, 2023, 08:44:50 AMMichigan played 5 top 25 defenses last year (Iowa, PSU, Illinois, OSU, TCU)

So, in same number of games:

Caleb Williams vs Top 25 defenses, 78-148 (51%), 860 yards (5.8 YPA), 6 TDs, 6 INTS, rating 105.4

JJ McCarthy vs Top 25 defenses, 85-140 (60.7%), 1,114 yards (8.0 YPA), 6 TDs, 3 INTs, rating 137.4

By the time the 2024 draft rolls around, I believe Caleb Williams will not be the #1 pick.  Maybe 3rd QB off the board.

Year over year, I think McCarthy has developed the most.  His football IQ and processing during a play are good.  I want to watch his accuracy on long throws in tight coverage as I want to see him get more air under those throws as opposed to ropes.