News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No Waller Sunday

Started by MightyGiants, November 01, 2023, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

The Raiders are in complete disarray right now, and we're still an underdog in this game.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Could be a hydration issue due to diet and supplements.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Waller played a total of 20 games between 2021 and 2022. So far, he has played all eight with us. If he misses a total of four games for us (plays 13), given realistic expectations and given the trade cost, I would say we came out ahead of expectations with him.

We knew the risks when we signed up for this player, we accepted them, and we deemed the price (100th pick in the draft) to be sufficiently discounting these risks. The idea that we would get the 2019 version of Waller for 16-17 games was never realistic. He is what he is at this point. Hence the price. Nobody should be surprised or feel like we're unlucky. This was all in the price.

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2023, 05:22:30 PMWaller played a total of 20 games between 2021 and 2022. So far, he has played all eight with us. If he misses a total of four games for us (plays 13), given realistic expectations and given the trade cost, I would say we came out ahead of expectations with him.

We knew the risks when we signed up for this player, we accepted them, and we deemed the price (100th pick in the draft) to be sufficiently discounting these risks. The idea that we would get the 2019 version of Waller for 16-17 games was never realistic. He is what he is at this point. Hence the price. Nobody should be surprised or feel like we're unlucky. This was all in the price.
In retrospect, we would have been better off not making the trade.  Before the trade, I was thinking that it would be great to get another TE like Bellinger, a decent pass catcher who can block.  2 young TEs like that would be great.  Last years draft was a strong TE draft.  It was doable

Flipper

If he thinks its going to take weeks, why isn't he on IR?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on November 01, 2023, 06:31:56 PMIn retrospect, we would have been better off not making the trade.  Before the trade, I was thinking that it would be great to get another TE like Bellinger, a decent pass catcher who can block.  2 young TEs like that would be great.  Last years draft was a strong TE draft.  It was doable

I was fine with the trade at the time and still am. I don't recall anyone on the board being opposed at the time. It was a calculated risk and a fair price given the risk. He has already played 8 out of 8 games, which is much better than I can say for a lot of people on this team, including people we may apparently be bringing back next year despite not having to. His production has not been exceptional, but it hasn't been bad either. When I look at the reasons why this team has been so bad, he's not really on the list as far as I am concerned.

Ed Vette

As it turns out he hasn't achieved the expectations of many fans here who were looking for him to be the missing link to a thriving Offense. I recall over a thousand yards receiving by many here and a Red Zone TD machine.

Not his fault that the Oline and QB struggled and he was a wasted weapon for more than half those games. Three games over 75 yards and just one TD.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 01, 2023, 06:48:05 PMI was fine with the trade at the time and still am. I don't recall anyone on the board being opposed at the time. It was a calculated risk and a fair price given the risk. He has already played 8 out of 8 games, which is much better than I can say for a lot of people on this team, including people we may apparently be bringing back next year despite not having to. His production has not been exceptional, but it hasn't been bad either. When I look at the reasons why this team has been so bad, he's not really on the list as far as I am concerned.
I didn't mean to say that I was against the trade.  I thought we got a playmaker at a relatively cheap price but that was looking at the team as a potential playoff team.  Clearly, that was misguided.  But, even before the OL injuries, the Giants would have been better off using the 100th pick onns Bellinger type TE.  It's been really difficult or worse finding competent OL to strengthen the line.  Getting good blocking TEs would help the cause

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on November 01, 2023, 09:11:27 PMI didn't mean to say that I was against the trade.  I thought we got a playmaker at a relatively cheap price but that was looking at the team as a potential playoff team.  Clearly, that was misguided.  But, even before the OL injuries, the Giants would have been better off using the 100th pick onns Bellinger type TE.  It's been really difficult or worse finding competent OL to strengthen the line.  Getting good blocking TEs would help the cause

Fair enough.

MightyGiants

The Giants have one of the worst medical departments in the league.  Was it realistic that that the Giants could acquire and injury-prone player from another team and expect him to stay reasonably healthy?

Sounds like the team will be lucky to see him back by the beginning of December. ::)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE