News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Gano to have surgery

Started by MightyGiants, November 02, 2023, 05:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I wish the Giants had brought in another kicker in the middle of last week to at least allow for the option of Gano making a game-time decision he wasn't going to be able to play. I realize that I'm saying that with the benefit of hindsight, but to not have had a plan B seems like an unforced error given the significance of the injury. I know everyone is blaming this loss on Daboll and wants to fire him now etc, but if Gano makes that 35 yarder the we win that game, and nobody would be criticizing how Daboll chose to manage it. Not to mention the other FG (albeit that one was a lot tougher and plenty of kickers might have missed that one in those conditions). I have to think if Bullock is our kicker last week and everything else plays out the same way, we're 3-5 right now heading to Vegas play the hapless Raiders.

EDjohnst1981

Sorry Rich, didn't see your thread - must have posted at same time. please delete mine

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 05:08:37 PMI wish the Giants had brought in another kicker in the middle of last week to at least allow for the option of Gano making a game-time decision he wasn't going to be able to play. I realize that I'm saying that with the benefit of hindsight, but to not have had a plan B seems like an unforced error given the significance of the injury. I know everyone is blaming this loss on Daboll and wants to fire him now etc, but if Gano makes that 35 yarder the we win that game, and nobody would be criticizing how Daboll chose to manage it. Not to mention the other FG (albeit that one was a lot tougher and plenty of kickers might have missed that one in those conditions). I have to think if Bullock is our kicker last week and everything else plays out the same way, we're 3-5 right now heading to Vegas play the hapless Raiders.
Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 05:08:37 PMI wish the Giants had brought in another kicker in the middle of last week to at least allow for the option of Gano making a game-time decision he wasn't going to be able to play. I realize that I'm saying that with the benefit of hindsight, but to not have had a plan B seems like an unforced error given the significance of the injury. I know everyone is blaming this loss on Daboll and wants to fire him now etc, but if Gano makes that 35 yarder the we win that game, and nobody would be criticizing how Daboll chose to manage it. Not to mention the other FG (albeit that one was a lot tougher and plenty of kickers might have missed that one in those conditions). I have to think if Bullock is our kicker last week and everything else plays out the same way, we're 3-5 right now heading to Vegas play the hapless Raiders.

I completely agree with you. A knee issue on a planting leg completely takes away your ability to fully swing your body's core and kicking leg into the ball which is what we witnessed from Gano this past weekend. You just can't muscle it because you compromise your consistency in your leg swing.

It is better he have the surgery now in order to give himself the best chance to return as close to 100% next season. Not sure what procedure he is having performed, but I wish him well in that it is successful and that he is in rehabilitation very soon.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 02, 2023, 05:10:15 PMSorry Rich, didn't see your thread - must have posted at same time. please delete mine

No worries, Ed.   I just merged the two
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

How does a multi billion dollar organization take unnecessary gambles like this? This should have been a concern a week ago. The backup kicker should have been on the practice squad. The medical team should have given an accurate report and we don't know if they did or didn't. Somebody should be fired over this.

As for Daboll, I can absolve him of the first kick but I can't of the second kick if he didn't speak with his ST Coach at halftime. And if he did and didn't get an accurate Accessment, then that Coach needs to go as he should have a month ago.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gman329

I'm sure Gano told them it was manageable and I'm also sure the coaches monitored his practice kicks all week.
 If he was missing chippies in practice, or if the kickoffs weren't going into the end zone (as they did in the game), they would have made the Bullock move last week.  This is 20:20 hindsight.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gman329 on November 02, 2023, 05:42:00 PMI'm sure Gano told them it was manageable and I'm also sure the coaches monitored his practice kicks all week.
 If he was missing chippies in practice, or if the kickoffs weren't going into the end zone (as they did in the game), they would have made the Bullock move last week.  This is 20:20 hindsight.

I really don't think it entirely is. This was going to be a low scoring slug-fest in bad conditions. Everyone and their brother was predicting that, and it turned out to be exactly what happened. Knowing that it was going to be that kind of game, you have every reason to want to feel like you're going to have the best kicking game possible. Knowing that your kicker has an injury on his plant leg, even if he says he is going to be ok, it just seems like such a simple thing to get a PS kicker and give yourself the optionality. I think not doing so was an unforced error, not just 20/20 hindsight. Just because Gano said he was ok doesn't mean you don't buy yourself some cheap insurance, which is what such a move would have been.

Gman329

It wasn't jusy Gano telling them he was OK, there was visual evidence in practice. None of us saw those practice kicks but I have to believe there was nothing that raised concern or doubt.  They really aren't the blithering idiots some make them out to be.  Sometimes, sht just happens. 

Giantleap56

Another Medical failure. Sports Medicine at its finest.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gman329 on November 02, 2023, 06:21:50 PMIt wasn't jusy Gano telling them he was OK, there was visual evidence in practice. None of us saw those practice kicks but I have to believe there was nothing that raised concern or doubt.  They really aren't the blithering idiots some make them out to be.  Sometimes, sht just happens. 

Nobody called anyone a blithering idiot. I just said it appears to have been an unforced error in this case. Smart, competent, professional people make unforced errors sometimes. And the Giants, I think we can agree, have made plenty of them over the years. I'm not sure why anyone would think they're immune to mistakes or miscalculations.

MightyGiants

From Lawrence Tynes:

Need to settle down on the blame game here with Gano and the Giants coaches, trainers, etc. This is the slippery slope when guys have to play to keep their jobs because they don't have fully guaranteed contracts.

This is how this would have went down last week.

He kicked in practice, said he felt fine.

Kicked in pre game, said he felt fine.

In Game: Made one FG, missed one FG, made one PAT, missed one FG and hit 2 TB's out of 3 kickoffs.

Pro Players push themselves to the limit to keep their jobs, they are wired different. Once Graham saw his performance affecting the team he had to speak up.

Hope Graham has a successful surgery and comes back as the All-Pro kicker he is. 🙏🏻 #NYGiants 

https://x.com/lt4kicks/status/1720206429594759359?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 02, 2023, 06:46:44 PMFrom Lawrence Tynes:

Need to settle down on the blame game here with Gano and the Giants coaches, trainers, etc. This is the slippery slope when guys have to play to keep their jobs because they don't have fully guaranteed contracts.

In Game: Made one FG, missed one FG, made one PAT, missed one FG and hit 2 TB's out of 3 kickoffs.

Pro Players push themselves to the limit to keep their jobs, they are wired different. Once Graham saw his performance affecting the team he had to speak up.

Hope Graham has a successful surgery and comes back as the All-Pro kicker he is. 🙏🏻 #NYGiants

Spot on.

Remember, this guy is an All Pro and holds himself to a ridiculously high standard above your average, run of the mill, NFL kicker (if that term is appropriate, which all 32 would tell me it isn't).

He did the right thing by electing to go on IR and have the surgery now so he'll be ready for next season. That's about all he can do and it is unfortunate that it came to that in the first place. In my opinion, it is no different than me going in, this past May, for a total knee replacement (NOTE: my planting leg). Six months on, I completed all my rehab, and I'm going at the world with this thing; albeit, limited than my original knee because of its mechanical limits. Let's hope Gano doesn't have to deal with any of that.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: kartanoman on November 02, 2023, 07:02:24 PMSpot on.

Remember, this guy is an All Pro and holds himself to a ridiculously high standard above your average, run of the mill, NFL kicker (if that term is appropriate, which all 32 would tell me it isn't).

He did the right thing by electing to go on IR and have the surgery now so he'll be ready for next season. That's about all he can do and it is unfortunate that it came to that in the first place. In my opinion, it is no different than me going in, this past May, for a total knee replacement (NOTE: my planting leg). Six months on, I completed all my rehab, and I'm going at the world with this thing; albeit, limited than my original knee because of its mechanical limits. Let's hope Gano doesn't have to deal with any of that.

Peace!