News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could Daboll be on the hot seat?!

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 06, 2023, 06:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Is it possible that Schoen would pull the trigger should the Giants lose out?

Can Daboll salvage this by at least showing that he's learned from many of his mistakes this year, giving us some hope for next year with a new QB?

Despite how we look as a team, I believe there is some legit talent on this roster (not yet enough to contend but) so I'm not ready to move Schoen.

What of the owners? Do they intercede after this year?

When will we finally be assured that the future is in good hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Giant Jim

I didn't think that until yesterday. The losses to the Jets & Buffalo could've been prevented by coaching, but could be part of learning for the head coach. Yesterday's fiasco in inexcusable.

Doc16LT56

This place has become a meat grinder for coaches. Daboll can stay or go. I'm not sure what's going to change either way until Jon Mara takes a look in the mirror and does a reality check. Mara's prioritization of public relations over accountability for players is the biggest issue. The coaches are window dressing at this point for an organization that wants to pretend its players are better than they actually are.

Messiah717

He will be back for a third season but there will need to be major improvements.  Yes, the Giants are a mess but you just scored six points against the Raiders.  The team look completely unprepared and less than motivated.  The yelling act on the sideline doesn't do anything for me.

Ed Vette

They won't fire him in season and won't make a decision until it's discussed after the season. As long as he doesn't lose the locker room, he will likely be back. The only thing now is that keeping DJ and not drafting a QB would be a monumental mistake and I don't see Schoen hanging on. Do the owners want Daboll to groom the next QB?

We really don't know what was discussed about DJ the past two years and what side Daboll was on behind closed doors. If he didn't have doubts then he is not the guru everyone expected. Durability shouldn't have been the primary concern.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 06, 2023, 06:45:02 AMIs it possible that Schoen would pull the trigger should the Giants lose out?

Can Daboll salvage this by at least showing that he's learned from many of his mistakes this year, giving us some hope for next year with a new QB?

Despite how we look as a team, I believe there is some legit talent on this roster (not yet enough to contend but) so I'm not ready to move Schoen.

What of the owners? Do they intercede after this year?

When will we finally be assured that the future is in good hands?

Andrew: The consensus of "experts" who've posted on-line so far is it would be a huge mistake to AGAIN change head coaches after only two years. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kartanoman

Quote from: Messiah717 on November 06, 2023, 07:40:21 AMHe will be back for a third season but there will need to be major improvements.  Yes, the Giants are a mess but you just scored six points against the Raiders.  The team look completely unprepared and less than motivated.  The yelling act on the sideline doesn't do anything for me.

We're they unprepared and unmotivated? Maybe. But was the other team jacked up because their interim head coach has an emotional connection to the Giants and wanted to show them something yesterday for, perhaps, not considering him for a coaching position?

Just thinking out loud.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

B1GBLUE

i dont think so. as some have stated here, we really have to stop firing coaches after 2 years. you hate to blame injuries, but man, we were DEVESTATED by injuries this year. the whole oline at some point or other. waller. jones. barkley. its just brutal.

i will def say his seat is warming up. coaches are supposed to weather the storm no matter how rough. you can only do so much, but a lot of these games havent been hard fought losses. they've been complete embarrasments. thats the type of thing that gets coaches fired. he's gonna get a pass this year. but if we look like this again next year, this far into the season, i could see him getting put down.

Bob In PA

Quote from: kartanoman on November 06, 2023, 08:14:11 AMJust thinking out loud.
k-man: ... and you're thinking very well... as usual.  Good post. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

The Bills and Jets losses could also have been prevented by proper officiating. 

Look there's a reason that QB is the midst important position on the field. It's because it's the position most likely to lead to wins or losses. And whether we want to admit it or not outside of 2 quarters vs Arizona the QB play has been dreadful. So dreadful that tyrod Taylor stepping in and simply not being a train wreck made him look like Joe Montana around here.

If you want to say it's up to Daboll to get the QB to play better sure that's part of his job. But there's only so much he can do. Jones had a career year in a contract year. And to be honest if they had simply not played Minnesota, with one of the worst pass defenses the league had ever seen, twice towards the end of last season they might still have not given him 40 million. But he did play the Vikings twice and he did look like Mahomes in those games and so he tricked them into thinking that's who he was when truth is the guy that played the previous 3 seasons is the reality.

Devito is likely going to have to play it the string. And that's the best case scenario anyway. Let him continue to lose and they may well be in a position to take Caleb Williams. And if they are fortunate enough to get him or really any of the 3 or 4 QBs that would seem to be upgrades watch how fast Daboll turns into a genius coach of the year again.

Woody

Daboll needs to take a lessen from Coughlin .... let the team have a players only meeting and then talk to one or two captains , not ten, and get their input on what needs to change so they will have some real ownership in what is done different moving forward.

Giant Jim

Quote from: Woody on November 06, 2023, 09:26:41 AMDaboll needs to take a lessen from Coughlin .... let the team have a players only meeting and then talk to one or two captains , not ten, and get their input on what needs to change so they will have some real ownership in what is done different moving forward.
I think he's down to 1 or 2 captains, the rest are injured or traded.  :D

andrew_nyGiants

I like Daboll, but I also like DJ.

That doesn't mean that I consider either to be the right choice to lead this franchise.

My issue with Daboll right now is the same one I have with Mara. They are not just losing games, they are unwatchable. Yesterday we were without exception the worst team in the NFL.

Mara keeps rolling this out because he believes he can hire Leaders while usurping their leadership and expect to win. He's done this so often it's become the definition of insanity.

Daboll wanted the job. It's okay to want the job, but if you want it so bad you're willing to compromise your judgement (IE DJ being fixed under him), you set yourself and everyone around you up for failure.

He's nowhere as sure of himself as he was last year, he lacks confidence, conviction and composure. If he doesn't turn this version of himself around to at least lead this team to competitiveness, I don't see how he can continue in role next year.

No matter what, it's time for Schoen to BOW UP on Mara and declare that if he wants to win, to stay the Hell out of the way and let him build the team.

It's ugly AGAIN fellow Giants fans. I'm getting to the age where I need more seasons like 2022 and less like 2018, 19, 20, 21 & 23.

Please John, get out of the way!

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

TDToomer

Is there any proof that Mara has meddled into what Schoen want to do? We asked for Mara to hire from the outside and he finally gave in and did what we asked.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 11:28:25 AMIs there any proof that Mara has meddled into what Schoen want to do? We asked for Mara to hire from the outside and he finally gave in and did what we asked.
You don't think that Mara is the reason that DJ was given every opportunity and ultimately signed to an extension?

"We did everything we could to ruin the kid" ??

To me, strongly suggesting that they give DJ the QB which is the most important position on the team every opportunity; is a major meddle in my book.