News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can someone explain why DJ was on the field?

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:38:54 AMBob,

In medicine, there are signs (things the medical person can observe) and symptoms (things the patient tells the medical person).   An ACL has signs (knee instability during examine), the symptoms (pain) can be variable and not a key indicator.
Rich: Well then, you're blaming the doctors.  It's also a possibility, I suppose, but you know I have extensive medical malpractice experience and based on that I am seriously doubtful. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

There's at least two ways this could have happened:  1) the ACL was partially torn but strong enough to the feel that upon examination he was cleared to play and then that plant on the next play finished the job.  2) He was flexing his quad while he was being examined leading to a "false positive" of sorts because that could lead to the knee feeling more stable than it actually is. 

It happened to Jake Ballard in the super bowl if you remember.  They didn't put him back on the field I don't think but they examined him, thought he was ok so they let him run, and then he crumpled as soon as he tried to make a cut.  If they had felt his knee was gone, they never would have let him try it out.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 06, 2023, 10:02:31 AMThere's at least two ways this could have happened:  1) the ACL was partially torn but strong enough to the feel that upon examination he was cleared to play and then that plant on the next play finished the job.  2) He was flexing his quad while he was being examined leading to a "false positive" of sorts because that could lead to the knee feeling more stable than it actually is. 

It happened to Jake Ballard in the super bowl if you remember.  They didn't put him back on the field I don't think but they examined him, thought he was ok so they let him run, and then he crumpled as soon as he tried to make a cut.  If they had felt his knee was gone, they never would have let him try it out.

I remember seeing the infamous "crumple"   To me that was another stunning failure of the Giants medical staff.   Players shouldn't be crumpling like that, period, end of sentence.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 06, 2023, 10:02:31 AMThere's at least two ways this could have happened:  1) the ACL was partially torn but strong enough to the feel that upon examination he was cleared to play and then that plant on the next play finished the job.  2) He was flexing his quad while he was being examined leading to a "false positive" of sorts because that could lead to the knee feeling more stable than it actually is. 

gm: I agree and do remember the Ballard situation.  That's what football players do.  Play through pain. Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 10:07:51 AMgm: I agree and do remember the Ballard situation.  That's what football players do.  Play through pain. Bob

Part of the job of an NFL medical staff is to protect players both from themselves.staffs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 10:06:13 AMI remember seeing the infamous "crumple"   To me that was another stunning failure of the Giants medical staff.   Players shouldn't be crumpling like that, period, end of sentence.

Agreed.  But if they examine him and the knee feels stable.  Without an MRI there's not much else they can do.  ACL physical exams are remarkably accurate.  They can feel stability or lack of stability very accurately.  But without a scan it's not 100%.  Like I said a partial tear could still feel stable.  But even the slightest tear will weaken the ligament enough so that the next big move rips it completely. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 06, 2023, 10:14:33 AMAgreed.  But if they examine him and the knee feels stable.  Without an MRI there's not much else they can do.  ACL physical exams are remarkably accurate.  They can feel stability or lack of stability very accurately.  But without a scan it's not 100%.  Like I said a partial tear could still feel stable.  But even the slightest tear will weaken the ligament enough so that the next big move rips it completely. 

I am trying to think of other teams where we saw players crumple on the sideline or send their starting QB back into the game, only to see their knee buckle on a simple dropback.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 10:10:02 AMPart of the job of an NFL medical staff is to protect players both from themselves.staffs.
Rich: I cannot disagree. I'm just sick-and-tired of all the injuries for the Giants virtually every season. All other things being equal, I'd rather fire all of the medical staff than any of the coaches (or most of the players). Bob

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 09:08:23 AMOne other note, this injury occurred on an outstanding grass field.

I saw what you did there, @MightyGiants  ;)

The whole situation is a damned shame for a guy, judge him if you must, wants to go out and be a leader of this team and, now, a knee does him in.

It's almost like watching Phil Simms early in his career all over again.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 10:20:53 AMRich: I cannot disagree. I'm tired of all the injuries for the Giants. All other things being equal, I'd rather fire all of the medical staff than any of the coaches (or most of the players). Bob

If every Schoen had enough ammunition to fire Ronnie Barnes and shake up the medical staff...

I appreciate that John Mara is loyal to Ronnie because Ronnie spent a week at his father's deathbed, but at some point, one has to do something about injuries kneecapping Giants seasons over the past decade.  At some point you have to acknowledge that the Giants constantly leading the league in injuries and lost time isn't just bad luck.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 10:23:51 AMIf every Schoen had enough ammunition to fire Ronnie Barnes and shake up the medical staff...

I appreciate that John Mara is loyal to Ronnie because Ronnie spent a week at his father's deathbed, but at some point, one has to do something about injuries kneecapping Giants seasons over the past decade.  At some point you have to acknowledge that the Giants constantly leading the league in injuries and lost time isn't just bad luck.

Just give Ronnie a nice golden parachute so he can enjoy his retirement. Money solves everything.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 06, 2023, 11:18:35 AMJust give Ronnie a nice golden parachute so he can enjoy his retirement. Money solves everything.

From what I understand, Ronnie Barnes is already a very wealthy man.  Ronnie was involved in many profitable business ventures involving rehab.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

Why should things change? The way to shock Mara into acting, or just getting the f out of the way is the result of all this losing having a negative impact on the bottom line. The price for trotting out 3rd, 4th , and fifth stringers should be a financial loss. Regardless if they go 2-15 or 15-2 they're going to make a pile of money. The question should be put to Mara thusly, hey John suppose you have a subscription to the Philharmonic, and they trot out the 4th violinist as Concert Master, the conductor is a nut with a wand, and the guy playing piano had his latest gig in the Port Authority subway station. Would you go, and spend money? Free parking, a $1,000 refund to all seat license owners, and a reduction in ticket prices is a good place to start. He needs to feel pocket pain to effect a change. How many companies would go out of business for putting forth such a terrible product? B/t/w this losing is not new. Several weeks ago I compiled a regular season W-L record since 1965. They were at that time 420-474. Despite the four SB wins, and their status as a flagship franchise they are a historically losing organization.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:26:10 AMDJ tore his ACL during the last play of the first quarter.  The team examined his knee during the break.  So why on God's green earth was he taking a snap to start the second quarter with a torn ACL???

totally agree. another ridiculous blunder by this coaching and medical staff. playing through pain is one thing. playing on an unstable ligament is something totally different. props to DJ for being a tough SOB. dude gutted it out through a torn ACL until it physically couldnt handle any more. I'll remember him for his toughness more than anything else.