News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

QB beyond this season

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 11:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Based on the timing of DJ's injury, I would expect a couple of weeks of knee-strengthening rehab and then surgery around December 1.

Figure that it takes nine months to a year to recover from ACL surgery.  That puts a possible return around September 1st at the earliest.  Now, admittedly, with DJ's fanatical work ethic, he might speed up the process by a few weeks, but for planning purposes, you have to think DJ wouldn't be ready to take the field until the beginning of October (figuring once he clears he will need a few weeks of practice to get up to speed).  Even if everything goes perfectly, I seriously doubt Jones would be ready to play come week one of the 2024 season.

Assuming the Giants draft a QB in round one, he would be the eventual starter.  However, most teams don't like to hand the starting job to a rookie, even a presumably high draft pick who will be highly touted.

So, the team will likely need a solid veteran to "compete" with the rookie for the starting job.  Of course, with DJ's contract drawing down funds, the team isn't in the position to pay a high-end veteran backup.

So, does the team bring in a marginal veteran with limited starting potential with the idea that DJ would be the backup for most of the season?

Do they bring in a higher-end veteran backup who could give the rookie a true competition?

Do they bring back the injury-prone Tyrod Taylor, who likely will not draw strong interest around the league this offseason?

Do you let TT walk, and just count on the rookie being ready and have DeVito as your backup until Jones is ready to handle that position?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 11:03:56 AMSo, does the team bring in a marginal veteran with limited starting potential with the idea that DJ would be the backup for most of the season?

Do they bring in a higher-end veteran backup who could give the rookie a true competition?

Do they bring back the injury-prone Tyrod Taylor, who likely will not draw strong interest around the league this offseason?

Do you let TT walk, and just count on the rookie being ready and have DeVito as your backup until Jones is ready to handle that position?

Rich: Yes, yes and no. In short, keep Taylor (unless there's someone they like more) count on Jones to start and draft a QB in the appropriate spot (1st round ONLY IF THEY ARE DEAD CERTAIN, otherwise in round 3 or maybe 2, just to have an option other than DeVito, or unless Jones can't answer the bell, or if Taylor retires or doesn't heal up as well as they currently expect). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 11:15:28 AMRich: Yes, yes and no. In short, keep Taylor (unless there's someone they like more) count on Jones to start and draft a QB in the appropriate spot (1st round ONLY IF THEY ARE DEAD CERTAIN, otherwise in round 3 or maybe 2, just to have an option other than DeVito, or unless Jones can't answer the bell, or if Taylor retires or doesn't heal up as well as they currently expect). Bob

I hadn't thought about Tyrod retiring, but now that you mention it, I have to think there is a strong possibility.  Not being able to last 3 games as a starter is less than ideal and Taylor might consider his quality of life beyond football.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

If they draft a QB, then they should let Tyrod walk. Jones will start the season and eventually give way to the rookie, if they feel he's ready.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

@T200 and @Bob In PA

Who do you see starting the first few games of the season, assuming I am correct in terms of Jones not being ready week one?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 11:19:13 AM@T200 and @Bob In PA

Who do you see starting the first few games of the season, assuming I am correct in terms of Jones not being ready week one?

I've always thought they'd draft a QB depending on how this season played out. Now it's dead and they will have a high-pick, they will likely draft one.

With that in mind, I think they also bring in a Vet and let him compete with the kid and the winner will start.

Jones will likely be on PUP for the first month of the season anyway.

That's how I see it playing out, but I accept you didn't ask me.

Gmo11

The timeline is fair, but I wouldn't rule out Jones being able to start Week 1.  If he can't, I think they plan for the rookie to start and take their lumps as it were but also bring in a 3rd guy of the Barkley variety.  Unless they see in training camp the kid is just not ready to go, and if that were the case they probably should have picked one of the other ones anyway, I think they let the kid start with the vet who's probably awful be the backup until Jones is ready to go.

SlotCorner

This is the issue. It is highly unlikely Jones is ready for training camp next year. I think you keep Tyrod, send Jones to IR the latest you can, and the rookie sits. If Jones comes back, you play him in the hopes someone is dumb enough to trade for him. Meanwhile, the fans start calling for the rookie in the second half of game one, hooray.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 11:03:56 AMBased on the timing of DJ's injury, I would expect a couple of weeks of knee-strengthening rehab and then surgery around December 1.

Figure that it takes nine months to a year to recover from ACL surgery.  That puts a possible return around September 1st at the earliest.  Now, admittedly, with DJ's fanatical work ethic, he might speed up the process by a few weeks, but for planning purposes, you have to think DJ wouldn't be ready to take the field until the beginning of October (figuring once he clears he will need a few weeks of practice to get up to speed).  Even if everything goes perfectly, I seriously doubt Jones would be ready to play come week one of the 2024 season.

Assuming the Giants draft a QB in round one, he would be the eventual starter.  However, most teams don't like to hand the starting job to a rookie, even a presumably high draft pick who will be highly touted.

So, the team will likely need a solid veteran to "compete" with the rookie for the starting job.  Of course, with DJ's contract drawing down funds, the team isn't in the position to pay a high-end veteran backup.

So, does the team bring in a marginal veteran with limited starting potential with the idea that DJ would be the backup for most of the season?

Given that they already have $47 million in CAP space committed to the QB position it would be colassaly stupid, IMO, to spend significant draft capital on a QB.

You bring in a marginal veteran to fill the gap until DJ can play.

You trade down from your prime draft position getting several picks including, hopefully, a 2025 first rounder.

You do a deep dive to determine who is the best evaluator around of OL talent and OL coaching and do whatever it takes to get them.

You prioritize using that person to fix the OL, not necessarily by throwing high draft pick at it.  A FA and no more than a second rounder. Except for Thomas and Schmitz everyone else on the O-line should be gone or be depth.

You get an EDGE or two to complement Thibs.

OR

You trade up to get a QB and rinse and repeat the last 5 years.

PS:  Oh, and completely change the medical staff
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

They could potentially keep Taylor next year for 1.4 million. That's acceptable. Problem is that neither he nor Jones are durable enough to last the season. Assuming that they keep Taylor (I know, I said to let him walk based on what it would cost to keep him along with Jones' contract), Taylor would start until Jones is ready.

If not Taylor, there could be an unnamed replacement acquired in the offseason.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

I know people are going to think I'm crazy but I'd draft two Qbs this offseason.  Take the guy you really want in the 1st round to be your franchise guy and then if a Bo Nix, Jaxson Dart, or Sam Hartman slip to the 4th/5th then you grab one of them also to be your backup and maybe by some chance hit gold with said backup and 1st rd pick. Qb is the most important position, plus drafting a guy late to be the backup is cheaper than paying one 5 million.

DaveBrown74

Even if Jones is somehow ready to play in week one, that's not something you can forecast months in advance, plus at this point I don't see how anyone can be confident he can stay on the field anyway.

I think, given Taylor is also not durable, the most likely way forward is they draft a QB and then let Taylor walk and sign a different veteran backup who has a bit more of a track record of demonstrable durability.

You then plan on rolling with the backup in week one and then weighing your options as the season rolls on. I think whether or not they go with the rookie or Jones has something to do with who the rookie is. I mean if it's Caleb Williams, they're not going to bring in Jones in week four over him. In fact they might just start him week one. If it's someone like JJ McCarthy or Quinn Ewers, then it may be a little different. I could see someone like either of those two kids not playing at all as a rookie.

I do think getting a backup they think has a better chance of staying healthy than Tyrod seems to is going to be something they probably deem a priority, no matter what Jones' situation is and no matter whom they draft (if anyone).

Dgoodmantrublu

They are not going to be able to allocate a ton of money to the position because of all the money they need to pay Jones and a top 2 pick. So it will have to be a guy on the cusp of being a 2 or a 3.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 06, 2023, 12:11:16 PMI know people are going to think I'm crazy but I'd draft two Qbs this offseason.  Take the guy you really want in the 1st round to be your franchise guy and then if a Bo Nix, Jaxson Dart, or Sam Hartman slip to the 4th/5th then you grab one of them also to be your backup and maybe by some chance hit gold with said backup and 1st rd pick. Qb is the most important position, plus drafting a guy late to be the backup is cheaper than paying one 5 million.

Sounds similar to what the Redskins did with RG3 and Cousins. Obviously it worked out since Cousins ended up with the better career due to RG3's injuries. That said, I hate the idea of drafting a day 2 or 3 QB because it will rarely pay any sort of dividends and you lose out on potential depth at more important positions.

Jclayton92

Ton of good backups will be available this offseason.