News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DJ contract disaster

Started by Uni, November 06, 2023, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I guess where Schoen could be a little bit questioned (even accounting for hindsight) is, if you were so unsure about Daniel that you put the two year out in there, then why not just tag him?

I guess the answer is because he knew he didn't want to sign Barkley for what Barkley and Kim were demanding and he didn't want to lose him given his relevance to a team that just on their first playoff game in a decade.

The irony in all of that is that simply tagging Jones and just signing Barkley to a 3y deal with a 2y out would have been much less costly to the organization in the medium term than what they actually did do was. Having to have Barkley for one more year at something like $13mm with a relatively easy cut after next season wouldn't be the end of the world if it meant we'd be 100% free and clear of Jones.

It's probably fair to say that in looking at this whole thing holistically, Schoen's scenario analysis may have been sub-optimal.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: RelaxTension on November 07, 2023, 12:04:12 PMThe franchise tag for QBs was 32,416,000 and transitional tag $29,504,000

So enough cap relief to either make the bridge with Barkley and/or strengthen the the line or get a better receiver.

RelaxTension

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 07, 2023, 12:31:28 PMSo enough cap relief to either make the bridge with Barkley and/or strengthen the the line or get a better receiver.
That's untrue since Jones cap hit this season is $15.4 million.
I think it was around $20 million but they had to move some.
The waste of money is with Campbell and Slayton both making around $5 million.
There is your swing tackle or guard upgrade.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

NY47GIANTS

Quote from: Uni on November 06, 2023, 12:49:18 PMDJ will have been paid $84,750,000 through 2024

CMP    ATT    CMP%    YDS    AVG    TD    INT    LNG    RTG
108    160    67.5    909    5.7    2    6    58    70.5

That's over $42 mil for each TD, and over 93,234 per yard

:boooo:

Even before this AWFUL contract was signed his stats were beyond poor.

With that said, looking at it like this should certainly cost SOMEONE their football job (or role within the franchise 🤞🤞)

Blows my mind that people quip about firing Daboll, but, Schoen needs more time...

Wud?

BONO to BOZO amirite?

"Yah but by next year, Joe Burrow will have signed and reset the market. That $40mil per season will just be average QB money. It's gonna look like a steal of a deal!!"

Nope. Never was. Awful from the get go.

Clearly a contrived, hand crafted, media driven narrative likely designed by the teams PR.

This contract is the medium pepsi of the NFL; a total joke.

The proof is in the pudding.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: RelaxTension on November 07, 2023, 12:38:32 PMThat's untrue since Jones cap hit this season is $15.4 million.
I think it was around $20 million but they had to move some.
The waste of money is with Campbell and Slayton both making around $5 million.
There is your swing tackle or guard upgrade.

Thank you. You are entirely correct - my mistake.

And yes. I agree.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 07, 2023, 12:11:55 PMI guess where Schoen could be a little bit questioned (even accounting for hindsight) is, if you were so unsure about Daniel that you put the two year out in there, then why not just tag him?

I guess the answer is because he knew he didn't want to sign Barkley for what Barkley and Kim were demanding and he didn't want to lose him given his relevance to a team that just on their first playoff game in a decade.

The irony in all of that is that simply tagging Jones and just signing Barkley to a 3y deal with a 2y out would have been much less costly to the organization in the medium term than what they actually did do was. Having to have Barkley for one more year at something like $13mm with a relatively easy cut after next season wouldn't be the end of the world if it meant we'd be 100% free and clear of Jones.

It's probably fair to say that in looking at this whole thing holistically, Schoen's scenario analysis may have been sub-optimal.

Do we know Barkley would have gone for that?  It would have been in his best interest to hit free agency I think.  Outside of them making him far and away the highest paid RB in the league I do think he elects free agency vs the team friendly 3 year that's really a 2 year deal.  My guess is, and it's only a guess, they knew the only way this offense could function at even a remedial level was with both Barkley and Jones together.  Since there were not adequate replacements for either of them.  And that they had a better chance to get Jones to sign a long term deal than Barkley.  Mostly due to the perception around the league that Barkley is one of the best at his position and Jones is one of the worst. 

So they got that deal done and slapped Barkley with a franchise tag with the hope that last year wasn't a mirage.  Turns out it very much was as we've seen, and now both of those guys should likely be done as Giants in the very near future. 

I don't really kill Schoen for this.  I understand the thinking it even if I don't necessarily agree.  If that's indeed what they were thinking of course.  I personally would have let Jones go and given Barkley a take it or leave it offer.  If we had to move on from both and position ourselves for a QB in 2024 so be it.  It's easy for me to say, not having to listen to all the blow back from the media and fans about how could you blow up a playoff team...but that's the job.  He needs to be objective and say yes, a bunch of flukey things led us to the playoffs last season but this is not a playoff team and we need a LOT of help in a LOT of areas.

4 Aces

I'm surprised people are tripping over themselves trying to make sense of this.

We see this countless times every year: a pending UFA has a solid year and positions themselves for a big payday. Jones looked like he arrived vs. the Colts and Vikings last year in important games. He timed it up perfectly. The Giants had no choice but to pay him as a mid-tier QB - and they did. He DID NOT get upper tier franchise QB money.

Now, they've David Carr'd him and it's not going to work out.

It's time to let it go, and stop all the posturing about whose decision it was and whether it was too much money. What's important now is making the right decision on who the next QB is going to be.

madbadger

Quote from: RelaxTension on November 07, 2023, 12:04:12 PMThe franchise tag for QBs was 32,416,000 and transitional tag $29,504,000

I don't know what I was looking at when I saw it was in the low 20's. Either way the franchise would have but the team another year and in retrospect would have saved them millions on the cap next year and the years after.

TDToomer

Quote from: 4 Aces on November 07, 2023, 01:54:37 PMI'm surprised people are tripping over themselves trying to make sense of this.

We see this countless times every year: a pending UFA has a solid year and positions themselves for a big payday. Jones looked like he arrived vs. the Colts and Vikings last year in important games. He timed it up perfectly. The Giants had no choice but to pay him as a mid-tier QB - and they did. He DID NOT get upper tier franchise QB money.

Now, they've David Carr'd him and it's not going to work out.

It's time to let it go, and stop all the posturing about whose decision it was and whether it was too much money. What's important now is making the right decision on who the next QB is going to be.

By the end of next season they are going to Derek Carr him!
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on November 07, 2023, 01:54:37 PMWe see this countless times every year: a pending UFA has a solid year and positions themselves for a big payday. Jones looked like he arrived vs. the Colts and Vikings last year in important games. He timed it up perfectly. The Giants had no choice but to pay him as a mid-tier QB - and they did.

So your assertion is that Jones deliberately hoodwinked the Giants by only trying his absolute hardest right before the negotiating period for a payday? In other words, you are saying that in the other 3.5 years of his career he was giving something less than a max effort? Is that correct?

If that is indeed what you're saying, which appears to be the case based on what you have written above, I respectfully disagree. I think he had the year he had in 2022 not because that was the only year he tried hard in but because (1) he uncharacteristically stayed healthy all year and (2) the coaching staff dialed up a very uncomplex, low-risk/low-reward passing offense for him that was designed to limit turnovers and keep the chains moving by leaning heavily on the running game. This helped boost some of Jones' stats. It also helped the team win. This led to his payday. I don't think it was because Jones plotted all along to give a less than full effort until the year it mattered the most from a personal financial standpoint. That doesn't fit his personality at all.

4 Aces

That's not what I meant at all.

I'm simply saying he had a solid performance at the best possible time: right before he hit UFA.

He has followed it up with the worst year of his career.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: 4 Aces on November 07, 2023, 07:56:58 PMThat's not what I meant at all.

I'm simply saying he had a solid performance at the best possible time: right before he hit UFA.

He has followed it up with the worst year of his career.

Ok. I got a little thrown off when you said "he timed it up perfectly." Made it seem like it was some sort of an intentional plot. I guess I misunderstood.

fromthebside

They should have let Jones test free agency to see his worth.  Nobody was giving him 40 million.  Nobody. The money was burning a hole in their pocket and they needed to spend it.  They paid the position, not the player.  I'll give Burrow and Mahomes and Herbet and Lawrenece that type of money.  They are QBs like Jones, but more deserving of it. It was a game of chicken and Schoen and the front office blinked.  They got fooled by the playoff run and are now paying for it.  And they really didn't believe in him, adding a 2-year-and-out policy in the contract.  The locker room would have pitched a bitch at first if Jones left. Football is a game.  The NFL is the business and feelings need to be left at the door.